Adoption
Options

Vacation Planning Prior to Match

I know we are very early in the process but H and I were talking about our travel plans for the year recently and wondering how a potential placement/match would factor into things.  At this point we only have 1 definite trip planned for the first week of July, but are wondering what we will do if we end up being matched at about this time (it is highly unlikely based on timing but anything is possible).  Did you put all vacations on hold until you were matched?  

Started foster to adopt application process January 2014

Re: Vacation Planning Prior to Match

• Options
    We did not put any vacations on hold.  We just got back from a trip to Vegas, in fact!  We let our SW know when we would be gone and that we'd be available by phone or email.  I would suggest getting refundable plane tickets and being willing to eat the hotel costs or be able to get a refund in case you end up not able to go, having to cut your trip short due to a quick match, etc.
  • Options
    We planned a few extended-weekend get aways and a one-week long trip while we were waiting to be matched.  We planned so we didn't have to fly (no need for canceling tickets) and had a good time finding fun things to do in our state & nearby states within a day's drive. For our week long trip we planned to go camping, so the cost would be minimal if we needed to cancel the reservations.

We ended up having to cancel our last planned extended-weekend vacation because we got matched and it was near the due date. I was glad that we hadn't lost too much on the canceled reservations.

TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    Great!  For our July trip we will be buying tickets later this spring, I should probably look into travel insurance for that just in case.  On one hand it would stink to cancel that trip as we have an all day experience planned at Fenway, but on the other hand if we end up with a child that is worth it. 

Started foster to adopt application process January 2014
  • Options
    We're making tentative plans for the year right now. Basically, we just said, ok, we need to realize that we might have to cancel these or move them around, and that was the end of that part of the discussion. We rarely fly though, so that didn't play into it. I think you have to keep living life or the wait will kill you!
  • Options
    Didn't put anything on hold, let our worker know how to contact us....we had to cancel our anniversary get away since we ended up being out of state for our son's birth- instead had an awesome celebration of our new little family!
  • Options
    We did not!  Before we were matched we took a long weekend to stay in a private cabin in a remote part of our state.  We had no cell phone service, and we didn't miss a thing.  The day before we got the call that our EMom had looked at our profile and wanted to meet us, we booked a 5 year anniversary/delayed honey moon to Mexico.  We were officially matched 3 days later and still took the trip about 2 months later.  We haven't missed anything adoption related on either of these trips.  While I did consider that "the call" could have come at any moment, I didn't want to put my life completely on hold - that would have made the wait even more difficult, I think.  Good luck!

we are until forever...
    check out our blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Options
    Travelers insurance? We did not put our vacation plans on hold either. We figure, it'll work out or it won't. We told the Agency when we were going and how to contact us. Don't put life on hold, it makes the waiting process harder then it already is.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Options
    We just kept booking vacations.  Since we were told it would be a 2-3 year wait, we figured we would just roll with the punches and figure things out if we got matched.  We have done a week in Disney twice since we've been licensed, and have another trip booked.
    So now we have an adults only vacation booked for April, and 2 month old twin girls (my parents had agreed to watch our boys for a few nights).  We aren't canceling yet, since with the world of foster to adopt things can change at any time.  If we still have the girls (I hope we do, I will be devastated if they leave), we may just end up bringing them with us.  We are doing Disney, so it isn't like we were heading somewhere that isn't kid friendly.  We just were hoping to do the more grown up things this time!

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
    4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • Options
    We were planning a trip to Medellin right when we were chosen to foster to adopt two kiddos who just became legally free. This was after waiting for a year.  The judge asked us to cancel the trip. Then the placement was brought forward much quicker, for the day we would have gone on our trip. We just cancelled the hotel and the flight and will need to pay a change fee next time we fly. No big deal when you look at what a much better treat it is to have the pitter patter of tiny feet in your home. Medellin can happen another day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"