Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Swings?

Anyone's LO still sleeping in the swing? Please please tell me I don't have the only one, please! DD loves her swing and sleeps soundly for 12+ hours in it and wakes up so happy. She's 14 months and 17 lbs so still within the weight limit. She doesn't care if it's moving our not. We tried moving her into the crib or pack and play but she wakes up after an hour and screams until she's put in the swing ... Like hours of screaming. The pedi said to keep trying and everyday she would cry less but we tried for 2 straight weeks with no time reduction at all ... She was just an exhausted mess. She has no attachments to paci's, blankets or stuffed animals ... We've tried. I'm lost on how to get her into the crib.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+

Re: Swings?

• No you're not alone although the longer you let her a leep in the swing, the harder it is going to be to her into her own bed. We had to stop because dd was 12 montha and we could no longer secure her properly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • We transitioned DD out of the rock n play quite a while ago, but when we did it we put the mattress on the incline and did rolled up towels safety pinned under the sheets up against her sides and up against the tops of her head (nothing against the sides of her face/neck). We slowly lowered the incline first till she was flat and then slowly moved the rolled up towels further and further away from her until they weren't really touching her anymore. You might try some sort of a gradual transition with your LO if cold turkey just isn't working. You really need to get her out of the swing though but you know that. :)

Something like this might work. I think she likes the feeling of the swing sides around her. She has a boppy on the living room floor and will curl up inside it and take a nap (with me watching). Last night I moved the swing right next to her crib so she can at least get use to her room. Geez thus us rough and I thought DS was a tough one to get to sleep but by 14 months he would get into his toddler bed and sleep from 7-7 without a noise from him ... In fact we still have to wake him up from naps or he'll sleep for hours and hours and begs to go yo his room when it's clues to nap time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • At this age maybe you can transition to a twin or full mattress in the floor, sleep with her at first then gradually get her used to sleeping on her own. It is going to be hard. Be prepared for much sleep deprivation, but be consistent.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Maybe get rid of the swing entirely and then you won't have the option.  My DS slept in his swing until he was about 7 months or so.  We had made a few attempts to move him but always caved.  And then we finally decided this is it and we threw the swing away.  Now his crib was the only option and we all knew it and he started sleeping there.  He still has reflux and honestly did okay without an incline because he usually sleeps on his face and knees with his butt in the air.  Good luck!
  • Thanks for the advise! Yes, everything she has to sleep in is in an incline because she has severe reflux ( on 2 meds). We tossed the swing in our living room she used for naps because she would climb in it and sit all day. I need to get rid on the one in her room too I guess. We actually tried a mattress with us laying with her and she has no interest at all in sleeping with us in any way ... Well I guess that's a habit we won't have to break. My little Miss Indepenent is just going to make it hard on us.
  • Would you put a 11.5 month old on a mattress on the floor? I'm asking because my son also only sleeps either in his swing or in-between his parents. A few months ago we tried CIO in his pack-n-play so now he absolutely hates being in the thing. I'm trying to get him to like it and play in it during the day time, but I don't know how I'll ever get him to sleep in it for very long.

But unlike OP's toddler, mine is definitely not sleeping 12 hours a night.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Boonhilde said:
    Would you put a 11.5 month old on a mattress on the floor? I'm asking because my son also only sleeps either in his swing or in-between his parents. A few months ago we tried CIO in his pack-n-play so now he absolutely hates being in the thing. I'm trying to get him to like it and play in it during the day time, but I don't know how I'll ever get him to sleep in it for very long.

But unlike OP's toddler, mine is definitely not sleeping 12 hours a night.

Tough question! When my son was 11.5 months I absolutely would put him on a mattress on the floor. That's how he's napped at daycare since that age. But he's a great sleeper and always has been. However, I would NOT put my swing loving daughter on the floor because she would be up roaming all night ... She won't even nap on the floor at daycare with the others. I'm not opposed to CIO but I'm not a big fan either. With both kids I waited on them to give me cues as to when they were ready for the crib. DS was around 8 months. Dad started sleeping 12 hrs in the swing at 12 months and only like an hour in the crib ... So I gave her a few weeks to get used to the long stretch of time then gradually moved her into the crib. It's been 2 weeks now and she's doing great. If she happens to wake up she'll play with a stuffed animal then lay back down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"