Baby Showers
Options

Dilemma-No kids at shower… WWYD?

I need advice. My BFF is throwing my shower. She mentioned she is doing a theme that wouldn’t be good for kids (spa theme and fancy foods) and asked if we could do adults only. Since it is at my house, she really wants my input. My house is also not kid friendly at all, we have a lot to do before LO comes. I was initially torn, because I wasn’t sure if a lot of friends with kids would be insulted or wouldn’t be able to come unless they brought their kids. I really don’t know what the etiquette is.

However, we started talking and I have a family member whose son is a total monster. His mother never disciplines him and he runs around destroying everything. My house is decorated with white window treatments, sofa, glass vases, tables, etc… (I know when the baby comes the white stuff will likely be ruined, but still I don’t want to have this happen earlier than needed). Last time this boy was at my house, he stuck his hands in every food, butter and sauce he could and ran around running his hands on the walls, window treatments, and couch, trying to break anything that he could like glass like vases. He is also very aggressive with other kids and very load. He screams and throws a fit if he isn’t getting attention. His mother rarely tried, but even when she does he doesn’t listen to her at all.  I really don’t want him at my shower. I told my family member that we were doing adults only and she made a big deal about how she never heard of no kids at a shower. She also has a habit of RSVPing and then not showing. So who knows if she will really come.

Now, my BFF is starting to get RSVP and a couple of family/friends RSVP with their 1 year olds. She is asking if she should tell them they can’t bring their kids or just allow kids now. She as well doesn’t know if it’s rude to start telling people not to bring their kids. Here is my dilemma. I am actually fine with all of the kids except this one little boy who I am afraid will cause a lot of stress. His mother won’t stop him from breaking and destroying things, so we will have to watch him. Is it wrong to let her think no kids are allowed and then act like I didn’t know these other people were bringing their kids? Or, do I need to stick with either adults only or allow all kids including hers? (These kids are well behaved) WWYD?

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Dilemma-No kids at shower… WWYD?

• Options
    I agree with the no kids rule. While it is to celebrate the birth of your new baby it is definitely not a kids birthday party. I would think that moms of little ones would also look forward to some time out with the girls on their own. There should be no kids at my shower. Although it wasn't specifically listed on the invites my mom has let those with kids know upon their RSVP that it's adults only. However that being said we said the same thing for my bridal shower and my wedding reception and yet a couple people still brought their kids. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Melissa

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    nah82nah82 member
    edited December 2013
    I threw my sister's baby shower a month ago and we have a similar little 2 year old boy relative.  I tried to head off the issue by only addressing the invitations to the women who were invited and not including kids names unless they were a year or younger (still nursing) or a girl.  I am a boy mom myself with 1.5 and 4 year old boys and I personally feel that at a certain age, boys just don't belong at ladies baby or bridal showers.

When the day came, one of her SILs came in trailing her 3 boys, five and under.  She apologized because she knew by how the envelope was addressed that we didn't intend to invite them, but her husband was called in to work, her dad and brothers went hunting, her MIL is deceased and her mom would of course be at the shower as the grandma to be, so it was either she brought them or she stayed home.  I honestly did not mind them being there because they are pretty well behaved and we'd much rather have her come and bring them than not come at all.  They got in front of her opening a couple presents, but really, nbd.

The mom of the boy we were trying to avoid having at the shower, of course, still ended up bringing him. (Soup Cousin strikes again.)  He had temper tantrums under the gift table, was trying to ride on the cart that we used to bring supplies in, and kept running out the door into the hallway, so we had to keep the door closed even though the room was stifling hot.  Soup Cousin wouldn't chase after him because she said she wanted to leave him with a friend but her mom (our aunt who was also at the shower) insisted she bring him.

So, simply addressing the envelopes to the women doesn't necessarily work and she might have to verbally tell people no kids.  But keep in mind, some people may not be able to come if they don't have someone to watch their little one.  So it comes down to if you'd rather have your friend/family member there or not have their kid(s) there.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If they aren't invited, they aren't invited. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    A Baby-Free shower is nice. I love my kids but sometimes it's nice to have a couple of hours just to socialize.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks ladies, I am feeling much better about adults only.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Def OK to keep it no kids. I had some kids at my bridal shower and didn't mind, luckily they were all kids I knew would be well behaved and we had a great day. I was selective with which kids were invited to our wedding, we basically kept it to the immediate family's kids. That enabled us to leave off infants and toddlers (besides my flower-girl 2yo niece), and the kids of some of my friends that I knew wouldn't behave or had serious question as to whether they would.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options

Stick to adults only.  A baby shower is actually about ONE baby, not all kids.  I've never been to a shower that's included kids.  I very much see it as an adults only event anyhow.

PLUS if I were invited to bring my DS, I probably wouldn't!  I like to have adult time.

I think your host needs to call these guests and just gently explain that it's an adult themed shower and unfortunately kids can't be accommodated.

I don't really get people who get "offended" over their kids not being invited to certain events.  Not ALL events are kid friendly - it's a part of life.  And if your friends rewally would be insulted - I find THEM rude more so than you.

THIS!!
  • Options
    daisy662 said:

Stick to adults only.  A baby shower is actually about ONE baby, not all kids.  I've never been to a shower that's included kids.  I very much see it as an adults only event anyhow.

PLUS if I were invited to bring my DS, I probably wouldn't!  I like to have adult time.

I think your host needs to call these guests and just gently explain that it's an adult themed shower and unfortunately kids can't be accommodated.

I don't really get people who get "offended" over their kids not being invited to certain events.  Not ALL events are kid friendly - it's a part of life.  And if your friends rewally would be insulted - I find THEM rude more so than you.

THIS!!

This x1000. I had someone ask to bring their kids, and I felt like I had to say yes and I still wish I hadn't (she asked the host, host asked me)... It wasn't fun for them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    Don't get me wrong, I think having kids at showers can be perfectly fine. I had children at my shower, we've had children at showers I've hosted and I wouldn't hesitate to invite children again.  I leave it up to my guest if they want to bring their kids or not.

It's just in this case,  I just think that you're over-thinking it.  If they weren't invited by the hostess, then they aren't invited and she needs to stick to what she said. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    Stick to adults only. It would not occur to me to bring ds to any type of shower unless he was specifically invited because big brother or big sister is being honored or something.
  • Options
    I am an other vote for "no kids".  I have never been to a baby or bridal shower that had kids -- outside of newborns who slept in baby carriers the whole time.  I wouldn't expect a new Mom to leave her newborn behind, but outside of that I really do not think that showers are meant for kids.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    My thoughts would be its acceptable unless you're planning on a co-ed shower, as I plan on. It's a little more difficult for some parents to hire a baby sitter for 3-4 hrs. in the middle of the day. Not to mention that I rarely get to see my brother & would like him to be at my shower & he is 2 years old. So I guess in my opinion it matters entirely on the theme of the shower & the host.
  • Options
    MMason12 said:
    I am an other vote for "no kids".  I have never been to a baby or bridal shower that had kids -- outside of newborns who slept in baby carriers the whole time.  I wouldn't expect a new Mom to leave her newborn behind, but outside of that I really do not think that showers are meant for kids.
    I agree!

I have only brought a child to a shower once and that was when DD was really young (2 months old?).  I was BFing and it was really hard to leave her.  That is the only exception I would make is for very young infants.  People understand that or at least they should.
  • Options
    Same as amoot890. We have a big extended family, lots of young kids and babies.
    A cousin of mine is getting married and everything has been kid free thus far. I live 3 hrs away and my bf 10 month old wont take a bottle or eat table food. When I asked if I could bring him she said no kids. My sis has 4 kids, very well behaved, 1 3 month old also breast fed. She told her it wasn't kid friendly either. We both said fine sorry we can't come. She got mad and then eventually said come.
    Her best friends 4 mo was there and screamed the whole time. The house and event was more then kid friendly and mine and m sisters kids were quiet and behaved.
    I overheard my cousin say she didn't want kids to take the attention off her. That's also why they're not invited to the wedding...
    In our family it's 99% of the time kids invited... So I'm offended by no kids allowed :(
  • Options
    MrsLee04 said:
    So I'm offended by no kids allowed :(
    You shouldn't be.  People are allowed to host the kind of event they want to, without you dictating their guest list.  It doesn't matter what their reasons are (budget, selfishly wanting to be the center of attention, etc.)....it's not up to you.  I am a mother, and I don't get offended when my children aren't invited.  Quite the opposite, I like an opportunity to socialize with adults only once in awhile.  My children are just that....my children, separate people.  They aren't an extension of myself.  I didn't lose my adult identity when I became a parent.
    I 100% agree with you @MrsLee04!  Since when did people's children become an extension of themselves and must always be invited everywhere with their parents?  Weddings, Showers, Parties -- those all cost money per person to have and I cannot blame people for not wanting to invite kids to events.  When my husband and I got married we did a no kids wedding. Not that we do not like kid, but I could not bring myself to spend $150+ per child to attend my wedding. We had a budget and that budget didn't allow us to invite kids. 

I wish more parents would respect others decisions for not wanting kids at events.  
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    MrsLee04 said:

So I'm offended by no kids allowed :(

You shouldn't be.  People are allowed to host the kind of event they want to, without you dictating their guest list.  It doesn't matter what their reasons are (budget, selfishly wanting to be the center of attention, etc.)....it's not up to you.  I am a mother, and I don't get offended when my children aren't invited.  Quite the opposite, I like an opportunity to socialize with adults only once in awhile.  My children are just that....my children, separate people.  They aren't an extension of myself.  I didn't lose my adult identity when I became a parent.
    Yup. All of this. It was wrong of the bride to get pissed when people declined, but - this concept of "my kid HAS to be included" is so weird. Luckily most Of the women I know are capable of maintaining their individuality after becoming moms.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Same as amoot890. We have a big extended family, lots of young kids and babies. A cousin of mine is getting married and everything has been kid free thus far. I live 3 hrs away and my bf 10 month old wont take a bottle or eat table food. When I asked if I could bring him she said no kids. My sis has 4 kids, very well behaved, 1 3 month old also breast fed. She told her it wasn't kid friendly either. We both said fine sorry we can't come. She got mad and then eventually said come. Her best friends 4 mo was there and screamed the whole time. The house and event was more then kid friendly and mine and m sisters kids were quiet and behaved. I overheard my cousin say she didn't want kids to take the attention off her. That's also why they're not invited to the wedding... In our family it's 99% of the time kids invited... So I'm offended by no kids allowed :(
    No need to be offended.  I love kids, was a full-time nanny, kindergarten teacher, now a SAHM of two children and also watch another little one in our home five days a week.  I obviously love kids and truly enjoy being around them.  We only invited four kids to our wedding, three were in our wedding and the other was a sibling to our ring bearer.  I didn't want a ton of kids at our wedding, we were paying per plate so there was that, but I also just wanted an elegant evening where I didn't have to worry about kids melting down, running around, screaming, whatever.  

My poor cousin doesn't have a single good picture of her and and her new husband dancing to their first dance together.  Why?  Because parents allowed their children to go and dance on the dance floor!  At my BIL's wedding their niece ran out on to the dance floor for their first dance and ran in a circle around them the ENTIRE song!  

People are paying a lot of money for events that are once in a life time and should be allowed to decide who is on their guest list.  
  • Options
    I had a kid at my shower that screamed and cried for 2 hours for his dad.

No kids!!
  • Options
    sschwege said:
    Same as amoot890. We have a big extended family, lots of young kids and babies. A cousin of mine is getting married and everything has been kid free thus far. I live 3 hrs away and my bf 10 month old wont take a bottle or eat table food. When I asked if I could bring him she said no kids. My sis has 4 kids, very well behaved, 1 3 month old also breast fed. She told her it wasn't kid friendly either. We both said fine sorry we can't come. She got mad and then eventually said come. Her best friends 4 mo was there and screamed the whole time. The house and event was more then kid friendly and mine and m sisters kids were quiet and behaved. I overheard my cousin say she didn't want kids to take the attention off her. That's also why they're not invited to the wedding... In our family it's 99% of the time kids invited... So I'm offended by no kids allowed :(
    No need to be offended.  I love kids, was a full-time nanny, kindergarten teacher, now a SAHM of two children and also watch another little one in our home five days a week.  I obviously love kids and truly enjoy being around them.  We only invited four kids to our wedding, three were in our wedding and the other was a sibling to our ring bearer.  I didn't want a ton of kids at our wedding, we were paying per plate so there was that, but I also just wanted an elegant evening where I didn't have to worry about kids melting down, running around, screaming, whatever.  

My poor cousin doesn't have a single good picture of her and and her new husband dancing to their first dance together.  Why?  Because parents allowed their children to go and dance on the dance floor!  At my BIL's wedding their niece ran out on to the dance floor for their first dance and ran in a circle around them the ENTIRE song!  

People are paying a lot of money for events that are once in a life time and should be allowed to decide who is on their guest list.  

I would like to add to sschwege's comment that just because kids are allowed 99% of the time in your family does NOT mean that they are allowed in other people's families. A non family member hosted my bridal shower and I would not have felt comfortable with some people (including family member's kids) coming to this person's house. The cople didn't have children and they have a lot of expensive things. Many parents that I know aren't teaching their children to respect other peoples property and when the children break things the parents rarely replace it or make the children earn money to replace it if the kids are big enough.

Would I be fine with all the kids from my IL's side coming to a baby shower if someone from the IL's side was hosting? Absolutely. However, I wouldn't want to step on my hosts toes. It is really tricky when the mother or mil isn't hosting the shower. Guests should respect the hosts wishes. I hope OP realizes that often times the expectant mother can't control whether her host allows children or not.

When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.
  • Options
    I would have the host repond to these people and simply explain that this is an adults only shower and kids can't be accomodated. I agree with the others that this is about your baby and not theirs. I have never ever thought I could bring my child to someone elses shower. This seems ludicrous to me to assume a baby shower is fine for kids to attend unless specifically invited. Be prepared that these people may not come if their kids can't and you need to be ok with this. Same way, they should be ok with attending without their LO's in tow.
  • Options
    cMichelle0423cMichelle0423 member
    edited January 2014
    My mom threw me my shower and she made it a women only baby shower. Afterwards we had a bbq where kids and dad's could come. This was separate from my actual baby shower but i liked being able to have a little "after party" to enjoy the rest of my friends and their families.
  • Options
    I don't know a single person who can not find alternate care for their kid for a few hours. The shower will be more enjoyable if people can just relax and not be fussing over their kids for a while. If they are exclusively breastfeeding a newborn this is the only thing I can think of and that can be accommodated. The husband, grandparents, a child care center, or a nanny should be able to help them out. I don't find it rude at all to request no children. The invite should have said no children and the people who responded saying they will bring their kid didn't understand so the host needs to contact them as soon as possible. Making it a policy for everyone will make this go over smoothly. If they have problems with it, they just won't come and that's fine.

The only other solution I would say is to hire a nanny (or two) to come and stay during the shower. Empty out a spare bedroom and put a few toys in there to keep them busy. However, unless your house is sound proof there will be no spa-like experience to be had with bunches of babies and kids sequestered in a separate room. 
  • Options
    You should not be offended.  Your kids were not invited.  You should have been gracious and accepted that. I had no kids at my wedding and am so glad I did.  A few friends were extremely rude and brought uninvited kids anyway.  So annoying! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"