Working Moms

Which daycare?

Over the weekend, we moved cross country and are now happily settled (temporarily) with friends while we start house hunting. We toured two DC's today and I'd like to sign dd up to start transitioning this week. I start my new job on Wednesday of next week.

Which of these would you choose? For background, she's 17mo. Been in FT DC since 4mos old. Both places we're considering have nice staff, cheerful rooms and some outdoor space. Price difference is negligible.

DC 1: next door to the gym in planning to join. Better daily schedule for us in that lunch and nap time are a little later in the day. Downside: they watch a Disney show every day while the teacher is prepping lunch. If it's a snowy/rainy week and they can't go outside for several days, they may watch a movie one afternoon.

DC 2: only 5 min further from our temporary home than DC 1 but I would still have to get back in the car to hit the gym. No tv's in any room but they have 15 minutes or so of computer time every day. Lunch and nap are an hour earlier in the day, same as her previous DC, which I think is contributing to DD's ongoing early waking. No chance to adjust her night sleep if daytime lunch and nap are still early.

WWWMD?

XP to BMB
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Which daycare?

• Great name for LO by the way! :) 

I'd go with DC 1. I've found that my strict avoidance of TV lessens as K gets older. My daycare only has two TVs in the entire place (7 rooms total from newborn to 4 year olds) and on rainy weeks, they definitely watch movies near the end of the day.  And I really can't blame them for that. Kids want to go outside but it's too wet, they've done activities all day, and they just need a break. I think I'd make the same decision to turn the TV on for the last 30-45 minutes of the day when parents come to pickup. And I suspect at DC 2, on rainy weeks they end up doing more computer time than 15 minutes a day.  So that wouldn't bother me. 

With the better schedule at DC 1 and it's location, I'd go with that daycare, given everything else is the same.  Really, it sounds like both would be great, so I'd pick the one you think is better and if you need to change after you settle in permanently, you can do that then.  Congratulations on the move and getting temporarily settled so quickly!

imageimage
  • I'd probably go with the one that's right next to your gym and has hours that work better for your family. The TV thing bugs me, because I feel like once you agree to one show for half an hour, it becomes easy to just flip the channels to something else, or agreeing to one movie a week becomes two if the weather's really bad . . . it just kind of snowballs. I really dislike it but I don't want to take an all or nothing stance either, so I'd be annoyed but just suck it up re: TV and go with what worked best for my family's hours. 

One other thing you don't mention - when do you want to start preschool and do either of these places offer preschool? Being able to stay in one place for the foreseeable future would also be a big factor for me. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @cecilyandgautam both offer preschool and pre-k. DC 1 also offers infant care and we are hoping for another kid in a couple years. DC 2 does not do infant care.
  • What an exciting move! They both sound good. Do you know where you are looking for more permanent housing? Is one of the DC closer to where you think that will be?

I would lean toward #2. I have had my kids in 4 different daycares, and none of them have had TV time as part of their regularly scheduled days. That's just a thing for me, and it may not bother you. I liked that two of the DC I used before had computer time. And I suspect your DD will adjust to the timechange once a routine is established.

GL with your decision, and your new job!

• i would say day care 1. minimal amounts of tv do not bother me...afterall when I am home I have put on the Bubble Guppies while prepping dinner myself.  I would try to pop in to make sure its not the norm for all day...but everything else sounds like DC1 is the better fit.
  • I would not want my kids watching tv at DC. My kids watch tv at home while I prep dinner. I don't love doing it, but I figure they had a busy active day at school so it's okay. So that might be a deal breaker for me.
    Although the fact that DC1 offers infant care, is a big factor. But since you don't know where you will be living, it's entirely likely you will make a change before having any potential future children anyways.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would definitely go with DC#2.  I have been a director and worked in early childhood for over 13 years (currently with the organization that accredits child care programs) and under no circumstance would a quality child care let children watch tv...period.  It might be an indicator of other areas that you'll become aware are substandard as your time there progresses.  Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

And proud mommy of GG-Age 10 and JJ-Age 7!
  • Daily TV would be a deal-breaker for me, personally. Everything else about DC1 sounds good, if the tv doesn't bother you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"