Health & Exercise
Options

Body Fat Percentage Question

Hi Ladies!

Do any of you know what a healthy body fat % is for women who are in their second trimester? I know that women who have a normal BMI should gain anywhere from 25-35 pounds throughout the pregnancy, but does that all come from fat?

Also, do you know how much body % a woman should have right before giving birth?

I have an appointment later this month and can ask then, too, but figured one of you may have already asked this question.

Thanks!

Re: Body Fat Percentage Question

• Options
    I asked this question on myfitnesspal as well, and no one had anything to say there, either! I find it really surprising this question hasn't been asked before.
  • Options

No, it doesn't all come from fat- far from it, actually.  The weight is distributed as such:

Pregnancy Weight Gain: Average Distribution

• 7 1/2 pounds is about how much the baby will weigh by the end of pregnancy.
    • 1 1/2 pounds is how much the placenta weighs.
    • 4 pounds is attributed to increased fluid volume.
    • 2 pounds is the weight of the uterus.
    • 2 pounds is the weight of breast tissue.
    • 4 pounds is because of increased blood volume.
    • 7 pounds is attributed to maternal stores of fat, protein and other nutrients.
    • 2 pounds for the amniotic fluid.
    • Total: 30 pounds

To my knowledge there is no guideline for a healthy body fat percentage for pregnant women.  In addition, you shouldn't be doing any kind of bio-impedence testing to find this number out- not safe when pregnant.  Probably calipers or under-water weighing would be your only options.

Lastly, I wouldn't say it is impossible to gain muscle during pregnancy but it would be very, very difficult to lift heavy enough and get enough calories to do so in addition to what your body needs for baby.  You're better off trying to maintain.

I was 13.9% bodyfat before my BFP.  I know I am nowhere near that lean now and I am totally fine with it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That helps a lot, thank you!

And I haven't done anything invasive to measure body fat; I have a scale at home that reads it for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"