Food Allergy
Options

Rice allergy?

How do you know if LO has an Rice allergy. LO has been put on Rice Cereal and every since then he has slowly cut down on his feedings and he just threw up his bottle all over me( about 30 minutes after he ate). he is on Beechnut Rice Cereal for MSPI.

DS1 2-26-07
DS2 10-18-10
M/C 8-5-12
DS3  6-21-13
#4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

Re: Rice allergy?

• Options
    How much RC does he get, and how often? How old is he? RC fills up their tummy, so then they're not as hungry for breast milk/formula. That could explain him cutting down his feedings. Also, if his tummy is still full from the cereal, then there's not much room left for a bottle feeding shortly thereafter, so that could explain him throwing up the bottle feeding.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options

He was getting 1 Tbsp per 4 oz if formula. He'll be 7 months in the 21st. It also had been 5 hours between feeding when he threw up. I could understand him cutting a few ounces but he was down to cutting half of his daily intake.

I talk to the GI Dr. and they said to cut out the rice cereal for 12 hours and see how he does. I'm going to leave it out for now and get him back to his regular feeding/intake for a while.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Acrosthec Thank you, I think you might have posted about it yesterday on our BMB and I read up on it. I was telling DH that I think LO might have it cause he didn't show the normal signs of MSPI  after I read the article. Thanks for posting thing link. Going to bring it up to the GI when we see him at the end of the month.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

• Options
    DS1 had a rice allergy.  It was the first food we fed him.  The first meal we did at night and the next day his daycare provider said he threw up a lot.  We thought he might be getting sick but didn't connect the dots until we gave him the rice cereal again that night and he threw up shortly after.  We stopped the rice cereal and he went back to his normal self.

Rice hides in a lot of baby food, toddler snacks, and cereals.  We always knew if someone slipped him a Puff or some other food with rice as he would have a violent diaper rash within 30 minutes.  It would take a few days to clear it up.

He outgrew it around the time he turned 3 and hasn't had a problem since.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options
    Acrosthec said:

Hey Red - sorry to see you over here.  :(

When I thought DD might be allergic to RC, I looked into FPIES.  Her reactions were never *that* violent, but it sounds like your LO's might be?  May be worth a read if you have some time.

https://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=99

My DS has fpies. He vomits violently a few hours after he eats something he is allergic too. I would definitely consider it. Good luck!
  • Options

DD has/had a rice allergy.  Her reaction was eczema flares all over her face.  It was confirmed through skin test (by accident) when testing for milk alternatives.  She had a hives reaction to dairy which brought us to the pedi allergist.

I say has/had because we no longer avoid rice and DD doesn't get eczema flares when she eats some (which is very little these days), but we haven't confirmed through skin test that she outgrew it.

Due to our experiences we are skipping rice cereal all together with DS.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Yup... sounds like it could be FPIES.  DD is FPIES to rice too, and had no reactions for the first couple exposures.  I started to notice her getting fussy after the 3rd.  Then by the 4th, she was full blown vomiting 3 hours after eating it, for about 4 hours.  I wasn't convinced it was the rice, and gave it to her again about a month later.  Same response.

FPIES is tricky, and your doctor may not be too well informed on it, just a heads up.  Forums are were everything to me when trying to figure this all out.  GL.
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"