Natural Birth
Options

yoga?

Has anyone done prenatal yoga to help prepare for a natural birth? I've heard that it helps to keep your muscles limber and the relaxation and breathing techniques learned help during the delivery. Any experience with this?

Re: yoga?

• Options
    Yep, I did it during my first pg. It really helped prep me for dealing w labor, especially the breathing and vocalizations. I had sciatica pain, and my instructor had some good stretches/movements to do that eased the pain.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    nosoup4u said:

Yep, I did it during my first pg. It really helped prep me for dealing w labor, especially the breathing and vocalizations. I had sciatica pain, and my instructor had some good stretches/movements to do that eased the pain.

All if this except I am doing it right now. I go twice a week and it really helps me combat all the pregnancy aches and pains. I've also found practicing the meditation at yoga allows me to relax better when practicing labor positions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did yoga during my 2nd pregnancy and it was such an amazing help. It helped a lot with the basic aches and pains that came with pregnancy. It also was a great source of relaxation. I used many of the breathing and relaxation technique during labor. I also wanted to use aromatherapy during my labor so I used my yoga time to introduce the scent that I would use during labor to help associate the scent with the relaxation I felt during my yoga practice time.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Ill definitely be joining some classes then.
  • Options
    I do an hour of prenatal yoga each morning. I practice yoga regularly outside pregnancy as well so I was totally comfortable just following a video on my own. I have  prenatal yoga with Shiva Rhea and I love it and it is modified for each stage of pregnancy! It really helps with all the aches and pains that come along with pregnancy. I have bad sciatic pain and rlp, yoga is awesome for helping to stretch out all those muscles and keep you comfortable and active throughout pregnancy. It also helps with relaxation, improves sleep and helps with posture which can help get baby in the right position for birth too. The breathing is super helpful during labour too. This is my third baby and I have done yoga throughout all my pregnancies and really feel it works for me!

If you are a beginner you can get a video but it is even better to go to a class where the instructor can help with positions and give you tips that make the experience all that more enjoyable!
    Tristan Phillip - 2 wks
  • Options
    I plan on doing yoga during my pregnancy but I have a question: we will start TTC in May but I would like to start yoga now. Should I go to beginners classes until I get my BFP? If so, when should I switch to prenatal classes? For the record, I've never done yoga as I have never been a fan of group fit classes plus I'm terribly uncoordinated.
  • Options

I plan on doing yoga during my pregnancy but I have a question: we will start TTC in May but I would like to start yoga now. Should I go to beginners classes until I get my BFP? If so, when should I switch to prenatal classes? For the record, I've never done yoga as I have never been a fan of group fit classes plus I'm terribly uncoordinated.

I started basic yoga (for the first time) in March of last year knowing that I would start TTC in June. I switched to prenatal yoga at 4 months (when I started showing). The basic yoga helped me practice better yoga in the prenatal classes and delay any prgnancy aches and pains until about 26 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, that makes sense. ;;)
  • Options
    Verstej2 said:
    I do an hour of prenatal yoga each morning. I practice yoga regularly outside pregnancy as well so I was totally comfortable just following a video on my own. I have  prenatal yoga with Shiva Rhea and I love it and it is modified for each stage of pregnancy! It really helps with all the aches and pains that come along with pregnancy. I have bad sciatic pain and rlp, yoga is awesome for helping to stretch out all those muscles and keep you comfortable and active throughout pregnancy. It also helps with relaxation, improves sleep and helps with posture which can help get baby in the right position for birth too. The breathing is super helpful during labour too. This is my third baby and I have done yoga throughout all my pregnancies and really feel it works for me!

If you are a beginner you can get a video but it is even better to go to a class where the instructor can help with positions and give you tips that make the experience all that more enjoyable!
    This is a great DVD; I second this! I too practice yoga outside of pregnancy.. 
  • Options
    Piggy backing on this post. When is a good time to start prenatal yoga class? There's one at a great enrichment center near me. I'm only 5 weeks though so don't really want to tell people yet. Should I just start with regular yoga, or go to the prenatal class?
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    NYGirl02 said:

Piggy backing on this post. When is a good time to start prenatal yoga class? There's one at a great enrichment center near me. I'm only 5 weeks though so don't really want to tell people yet. Should I just start with regular yoga, or go to the prenatal class?

Good question :)

• Options
    You can start any time, you certainly don't need to tell anyone that you are going to prenatal yoga. usually yoga instructors welcome anyone and often you even see eager ttc mom's in the classes. That being said at 5 weeks (and through the first trimester) you should be perfectly fine attending a regular beginners yoga class as well. Just mention that you are pregnant to the instructor and they can help you modify any poses that may (if any) require it. 

I totally recommend looking into Yoga Nidra (like a guided relaxation, meditation) as well, especially in the first trimester. It is very very restful and relaxing. Studies seem to indicate that it is the equivalent of getting triple the time you spend doing it in REM sleep, so it really helps with energy levels. 
    Tristan Phillip - 2 wks
  • Options
    I restarted yoga with a regular classes when TTC. It was great to get back into it and probably won't switch to prenatal yoga until about 16 weeks when the groupon I got for my current place runs out. I didn't want to go to prenatal yoga before I was ready to tell the world since I know other people due prior to me - and the likelihood of them being there is fairly high.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"