Working Moms
Options

School Choice - Thoughts?

I will preface this by saying DH and I tend to over think things a lot. We bought a house late this summer in the town we wanted to stay in. Our oldest son starts kindergarten next year, and we've recently learned the elementary school he would go to is not doing great. There are 3 in town, and students are assigned based on neighborhood. We knew on a rank of 1-3, the elementary in the neighborhood we moved into would be #3, but we were surprised to know it's struggling more than we thought. The school system overall is good (we're on the outskirts of metrowest Boston - it's not in the top 10 like the super wealthy towns near us are, but overall, good), but it seems this elementary school was given a low grade and ranking. The one he would have attended, where we know a few families, is much stronger. We know one family at the elementary school he's at, and her kids have received a good education, but it could be stronger, and overall, she wishes there was better parental and family involvement. She has been very involved in the school. In our town, kids go to the elementary from K-4. Grades 5-7 are at the brand new middle school, and 8-12 at the high school.

I am going to go to a few meetings this spring at the local elementary school and want to get a better feel for the school and the culture, but we're also considering school choice to see if he could go to one of the other elementary schools. If we school choice though, transportation to and from will fall completely on us - no bus option. We would want our kids to go to the same school, so we would be looking at a 7 year commitment here. DH currently works part time, and is home on average 3 days per week, but not 5 days. We are unsure about whether or not the transportation piece is a realistic option for us though. Has anyone done school choice? If so, why, and how do you handle this part? Would you school choice for the lower elementary grades, knowing they would end up at the same middle school and high school? In the end, I feel like the boys would probably be starting off at the same level as the other elementary kids when they move to the middle school because we would be very involved. So it's more about ensuring an enriching experience in a school culture that highly values education.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: School Choice - Thoughts?

• Options

I would probably take the time as you mentioned to get to "know" your assigned school a bit better before making a final decision. I would definitely try and meet and talk with teachers that your child would have.

We moved into a great school district for our area, and we are assigned to one of the best elementary schools in that district. I am STILL considering enrolling DD into the neighboring school district elementary school (via school of choice) which is ranked #2 in our state vs. ours that is #10. 

Honestly, k-4 is probably the MOST important education you get aside from preschool and even if you end up at the same middle and HS. That first school can make a difference. I know that when I went to High School the majority of the high performers came from of 1 or 2 elementary schools out of the 8 in the school district.

• Options
    I think if it's overall a good district, I might not be too worried, Especially since the middle and high school are very good.
    As far as transportation- on days when both you and your DH are working, I'm assuming you'll need some type of aftercare for your kids anyways. So you could either put them in aftercare at their school and pick them up there after work. Or you can hire a babysitter who is able to drive to school to pick them up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son will be starting kindergarten next fall, too. Our zoned school is pretty rough. The district has placed extra services to improve the school, but honestly academics take.a backseat to socioeconomic issues in this neighborhood. We opted for a magnet elementary with a great program and tons of parental involvement. We will drop off early at before-care, and hire a sitter for pickup. It is still in our neighborhood, so we hope to be involved in lots of classroom/school activities.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"