Adoption

Maternity leave after adoption

Hi!  I haven't posted recently, so I thought I should introduce myself.  We have two biological children and are adopting from China.  We just finished compiling our dossier and are about to start the authentication process.  Then the dossier is off to China!  It feels like a dream that we've made it this far. 

Although we're a long ways off from planning for leave after the adoption, I know this is a good group to throw out all the random questions that are on my mind.  How much leave did you take?  How much leave did your partner take?  I'm covered by FMLA and have the opportunity to take up to six months, but I doubt we can afford for me to take that much time off, especially since I carry our health insurance.  Of course I know a lot depends on the needs of our child.  Our two children currently go to a daycare center and like every family with a new child, we have to decide whether we should (and can afford to) keep them in daycare while I'm home on leave.  Then we have to decide what our childcare options will be after I go back to work.  Our options are to send all three children to the daycare center or rehiring a nanny. 

On a side note, I feel like I'm constantly educating everyone that even though I'm not giving birth to a baby, I will be and need to be taking maternity leave.  One co-worker is still asking if I've gotten approval yet for my 2.5-week "vacation" for when we travel to China to meet our child. Luckily my boss and HR are supportive of our adoption and taking time off for home study meetings and doctor's appointments hasn't been an issue, so I don't imagine planning leave will be a problem either.  It just seems crazy that others do understand why I need to take leave.
Son #1 - September '09
Son #2 - October '11
Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation

Re: Maternity leave after adoption

• I took 12 weeks per FMLA. Part of that was covered by my company (full pay for 2 weeks and nominal pay for another 6 weeks). DH wasn't eligible for any parental leave, he took a week off when DD was a couple of months old.

I was very lucky in that my company recognized the importance of bonding with any child, whether biological or adopted, and recognized maternity leave equally for both situations. You will find that it varies widely by company. You'll see that some people got nothing, some had to just save up PTO, some companies distinguish between adoption and giving birth, etc.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • I took 8 weeks of maternity leave. Only 2 weeks were paid. But, I got to bring DD to work with me since I was the assitant director at a pre-school. DH was given 2 weeks of paid time off for paternity leave. Both of our jobs were really supportive and we had no issues taking additional time for adoption training, home studies and all the other little items we needed to take care of.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congrats on how far you are into the adoption process! 

I'm taking 3 months unpaid time off from work and MH took 2 weeks unpaid time off.  FMLA covers my job position, but I wasn't eligible for anything to cover a portion of my missed salary like I would have been if I had had a bio child.  I carry our family health insurance and my work was really nice about covering my portion these 3 months and letting me repay them once I get back to work.  I feel really lucky that we had saved enough for me to be off work for so long.

Have you asked your daycare if they'd be able to do 50% full time?  Maybe they would let you enroll for 2-3 days per week at a lower rate so then you'd have a day or two for just you & your new little one to spend at home?

It's a bummer that some people can say really stupid things about adoption! At the scheduling meeting where my boss announced that I would be taking maternity leave for my adoption, I had a co-worker say that he should get at least 9 weeks off too, since he was going to be adopting a cat.  :-O  Overall though I've been really impressed with most people's reactions and how supportive people have been.
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
  • Thru FMLA I was able to take 12 weeks, but had to use my PTO. I could stretch out my 12 weeks over a 12 month period however I wanted. So I originally took off a month up front, then I ran out of PTO so I went back to work and then would take a few days off here and there to get my full 12 weeks of coverage.
  • I'm a teacher and I took 10 weeks off.  I could use sick time for 6 weeks, 1 week was Fall Break, 1 week was Thanksgiving Break, and 2 weeks were unpaid.  I went back for a week and my husband took that week off, then I had 2 weeks off for Christmas break, which I'm still on.  She'll start daycare next week at 3 months old.
  • We are doing IA from Moldova. I have 12 weeks under FMLA (unpaid except for any vacation time I have). We recently found out we might have to spend almost 8 weeks total in country for our two trips. So, that will burn through most of it. I hope to still have a couple weeks or so to take off when we get home. I had originally planned on doing four or more weeks at home, but the extended travel is cutting into that plan, which makes me sad.
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"