2nd Trimester
Options

Abnormal NT Scan - terrified!

After suffering a miscarriage at 9 weeks in September, I was so excited to go in for our NT scan at 14 weeks for our second pregnancy to get a good look at baby.  Those high spirits, however, were just shattered yesterday, when the nuchal translucency test gave us a measurement of 7.9 mm... 3 mm is the high end of normal.  I'm terrified what that means... and judging from the doctor's face as he explained, it's not good.  From I gather, there is a slim chance our baby will be "normal" if the baby survives at all... we could be looking at Down's syndrome or Turner's syndrome.   I go in for an amniocentesis in 10 days, once I hit the 15 week mark, and I am absolutely terrified.  Has anyone ever had an amnio?  What is it like?  Anyone been in the same boat with really abnormal NT scan... outcome for better or worse?  This is going to be the longest 10-11 days of my life until we get the results, and I'm just hoping to gain any insight from others experiences.

Re: Abnormal NT Scan - terrified!

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and the fear that you're feeling now. I don't have anything helpful to add, but I wanted to send you some virtual hugs.
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Options
    My cousin has turners and leads a very normal life. She is a high school graduate, attends a local community college and works part-time. She is a lovely person, with a great personality. Of course, it isn't ideal but with some interventions (in her case, daily injections for many years) your child will lead a normal life. My cousin is infertile, but so are many other women without turner's syndrome. I hope you get answers and find peace soon.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through the fear and anxiety of not knowing while you wait. At our a/s, the doctor found a soft marker for down syndrome, so we elected to do the panorama test. It turned out to be negative (technically "low risk"). The waiting and worrying was the absolute worst. Hugs to you during this time and prayers that everything turns out ok.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. My first pregnancy we found out at NT scan that our measurement was past the normal range also and so we did the CVS. The results came back showing our baby had Turners syndrome. Unfortunately my pregnancy ended at 13.5 weeks. After all the waiting it was a devastating end. If you ever want to talk I'm here. I am sending prayers and lots of hugs your way. Wishing the best for you!
  • Options
    I hope everything turns out okay for you.  Many hugs while waiting for the 10 day period--we had a similar experience with an abnormal Quad screen for DS,  We opted to do multiple detailed US and the fetal DNA testing, which thank heavens was normal, but I completely understand your anxiety.

Just because the NT is high does not mean things will turn out poorly.  Try to stay calm as best you can--exercise, fresh air, and lots of distractions (movies, books, etc) really helped me get through that time. 

The perinatal or MFM doctor will walk you through everything with the amnio, and you will be just fine during that procedure. 
  • Options
    Can't offer much advice but very sorry you're going through this. I know it must be terrifying. I wish you the best of luck at your amniocentesis

It's a BOY

• Options
    No advice either, but I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.  Praying there is another explanation!
    On our way to baby#2!  Praying for a healthy and happy delivery next June!
  • Options
    No advice, but thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
  • Options
    hello,
       not sure if its the same test,MY STORY IS:

I was 12 wks when i lost my baby in may,now 14 wks pregs again,i had a test done 2 check all those things,and i got a result saying that,well i had 2 choices for another test,1 put a needle in my belly 2 gather dna from baby,with the chance it could cause  another miscarriage,or go for special blood work at the hospt.i have 2 wait a week 4 the test,then another week 4 the results..if the test proves positive then i have 2 decide if i want 2 abort or chance the baby not making it..
    it is really hard trying 2 be happy and bond with ur growing belly when the thought of having 2 have 2 say good-bye might b an option...they say once you've gone through a loss,that the next pregnancy is the LONGEST 9 months of ur life..its worse when u have 2 go through it completely alone,trying 2 hide my fears from my 12 yr old ready 2 break down when he ask me questions like " when will the baby be born,is it a boy or a girl "
    i am sorry i went on and on,i hope it does ease ur mind alittle knowing that ur not alone in ur fears,and u have every right 2 feel the way u do no matter what anyone says...
                                           hollyann
  • Options
    My cousin has turners and leads a very normal life. She is a high school graduate, attends a local community college and works part-time. She is a lovely person, with a great personality. Of course, it isn't ideal but with some interventions (in her case, daily injections for many years) your child will lead a normal life. My cousin is infertile, but so are many other women without turner's syndrome. I hope you get answers and find peace soon.

This. I had a good friend growing up that had Turner's syndrome. She has a successful life. She is infertile and she needed daily hormone injections, but it hasn't inhibited her.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Went through something similar. My LO had an NT of 4.5mm. We were told it was a cystic hygroma, and sepated. A high NT score is a symptom, and like all symptoms, it may or may not indicate anything. In my instance, we did the CVS test BC it was early enough, which gave us immediate results clearing of Down's, and other trisimy issues. They were also able to do the kareotype, and examine chromosomes to see if any looked unhealthy. So far we've gotten good results. Because it is a symptom, it means that everyone may have a different outcome, though. We are hoping, and praying for the best.

I believe amnios are  little safer than the CVS test is, and can detect more issues. They seem to be similar procedures. Find out if they can screen for  the trisomy issues right away. That way you dont have to wait by the phone for so long. Are you meeting with a genetic counselor? I found that to be helpful, as she was able to explain what we were looking at.

Its hard because they throw so much info at you straight away. The day I was told was easily one of the most stressful days of my life. I had to learn to take it one round of tests at a time. I hope you get good results, and find some peace and comfort during this time.

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this and really hope you can get some answers soon!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"