January 2013 Moms

"No gifts" etiquette

Back story- Clara's birthday invites say "No gifts, please" at the bottom in clear as day size, font, etc.  We don't want her party to be about presents, we want it to be about family and celebrating her.  I already feel we are making this party too big with the amount of people we are having but it's 90% family.  The only thing I could think of that we "wanted" for her or that she "needed" is donations to her education fund.  My father in law suggested we put that on the invite, wording is gently (somehow...).  I wasn't comfortable with asking for money.  So, "No gifts, please" it was!  (I realize that if someone wants to gift something to my child we will graciously accept but I don't want the stress of what to buy her, money, etc)

Current story-I had lunch with her godmother and the party came up and she made the comment "Well you know people will still bring gifts!  It's a birthday party!"  I explained to her that we didn't want to focus on presents but if they wanted to get her something she would definitely use, we'd appreciate education donations.

Future story-What do I do IF people DO bring gifts to the party?!?!  Do we open the gifts that are brought in front of everyone??  That makes me nervous to make anyone who didn't bring one feel embarrassed.  Do we open them later??  I don't want to offend someone by not letting them see her open it/play with it/try it on/etc. 

We still stand by our request but it has definitely added a wrinkle.  I'm thinking about opening them off to the side if they are wrapped presents and opening later if they are cards.  Thoughts?

Re: "No gifts" etiquette

• I agree with pp, If anyone brings a gift I would say that you will not be opening anything at the party unless they really want it opened then. In which case I would do it off to the side away from everyone.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it is weird to watch kids open gifts at this age anyways so definitely just set them aside. DD got no gifts because her birthday "party" was kind of a surprise on the attendees.

We did a new years brunch and just so happened to give her a muffin and take her birthday photo then.
  • Loading the player...
  • Since it's an optional gesture, I completely agree with setting them aside and opening them later and send thank you's. If you have the chance to open the gifts after most people leave and it's just grandparents or so then you could open theirs with them. Usually it's rude to open gifts without the giver viewing the opening, but in a case where it's optional this is the best way to go! 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"