July 2014 Moms
Options

Embarrassing - bathroom question

Just FTR- I tried to search for a similar thread in here a while back but can't find it. :/ Is anyone else still having trouble with constipation? I don't know what to do, I've switched to a prenatal that has "non constipating iron" (as the label says) and have been eating so much fruit, veggies, yogurt, and granola w flaxseed on a daily basis but I am still having issues. After 3 days go by, I can't take it anymore and have to drink some coffee just to help myself go and it is a little painful as there is so much backed up. This is so embarrassing and I never talk about this type of stuff but I just don't know what to do anymore. Is anyone else still experiencing this? Does it get better towards 2nd tri? Anyone have any suggestions as to what helped them? I would really appreciate it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Embarrassing - bathroom question

• Options
    Yes, I have off/on constipation/diarrhea.  I got so sick of not pooping regularly the other day that I went out and got a Burger King breakfast for the grease and then an authentic local burrito for lunch, and that worked wonders!  Coffee isn't helping like it used to.  Have you tried walking?  Remember, the water helps push out the fiber. 
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    I talked to my Dr and he recommended using colace stool softener. I haven't got it yet but am definitely willing to try. I'm 12w and go every 3-4 days :( I've also been told to up foods that contain fiber so I bought some raisin bran to give it a try :) foods filled with a lot if fiber scare me tho :p
    http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Pregnancy">BabyFruit Tickerump.com/tickers/tt1900ca.aspx[/img][/url]
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Still constipated here. From what I remember with DS, things do get back to normal at some point. Try drinking metamucil daily, stool softeners, drinking prune juice, bran flakes, and/or milk of magnesia. I was taking Zofran a few weeks ago and it took a metamucil, milk of magnesia, stool softener, and coffee combo for a few days before anything happened. 

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Are the stool softeners & Metamucil ok for us to take? I am willing to try anything at this point. The fiber definitely helps produce a lot of "waste" but I don't know how much help it is doing to make anything "move" I think maybe I will cut down on that. I drink almost a gallon of water a day (I have always been a big water person) so I just don't know what is creating the hold up... Hormones maybe? Thanks for the tips ladies I will give all advice a try and report back on anything that works to help others! Please keep the suggestions coming as well.

• Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    edited January 2014
    I don't even take a prenatal with iron and I have been having an awful time. I take a Colace twice a day, I'm going once every 2 or 3 days now.

ETA: it's actually getting worse as I get more pregnant.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options
    I've been doing a lot better since I've started eating a lot of salads mixed with lots of beans, and I've also been eating a lot of grapes and oranges. Although you will have to trade the constipation for gas if you go my route.

Btw- don't be embarrassed, it's a fact of life!
  • Options
    If colace doesn't work you can also try miralax. Drink lots of water. I'm feeling pretty yucky even with those but it helps. I know part of my problem is water intake but I just can't get myself to drink more!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Colace! Take two before bed. Works for me. I had a bathroom issue and it helped tremendously. Its safe too.
  • Options
    Spicy food gets me right again. I hadnt gone in a few days so last night I claimed all the peppercinis from the Olive Garden salad and I could go today. It helps that I really love spicy food though.
  • Options
    My doctor told me miralax is safe to take
  • Options
    Lots of water, regular exercise, and high fiber foods will help.
    I haven't had any issues this time around (2nd pregnancy), I'm actually still "going" 2-3 x's a day, which is normal for me. I eat dairy-free vegetarian, so lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and other than my one cup of coffee in the morning, it's just water to drink.
    Last time, I had a bit of constipation in the first tri, and I remember that if I snacked on baby carrots or had them with dinner I was usually good to go the next morning. Colace was a waste of $ for me.

Mommy to R (8.23.11) and K (6.21.14).

• Options
    Thanks ladies, I will try all of your suggestions. You are seriously the best. @pammyxjean, do you take the colace before bed every night or just every few nights? 

• Options
    beff12beff12 member
    edited January 2014
    My doc said Metamucil is fine! Just make sure to keep drinking plenty of water with it or it has the opposite effect.

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    Dulcolax stool softener everyday with my prenatal! Haven't been constipated once this pregnancy. I've been taking one a day since I got my BFP. I learned my constipation lesson last go round. It was so bad!! GL to you! Dulcolax is strong enough to get you going but gentle enough that you're not having diarrhea or running to the bathroom every hour.
    BabyFetus Ticker

image image

• Options
    Colace is safe, and effective!! I've never had to wait more than 12 hours to get relief. Because I'm still taking Zofran for nausea, I take a Colace every other night at bedtime to keep things regular. I've been feeling great/regular for weeks.

Grape juice also works, just not as quickly.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    How much water are you drinking a day?
  • Options
    I have this problem, too. :( I've been taking a stool softener at bedtime. It actually hasn't helped much yet, but last pregnancy it helped a lot. That's the only advice I have!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My doctor recommended colace and/or glycerin suppositories

March 2013: First TTC trip to RE, On 1500 mg Metformin, April 2013:  PCOS and Endometriosis, May 2013:  DH Low volume; Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #1 = BFN, July 2013: Femara 7.5 mg + IUI #2 = BFN, August 2013:  Femara 7.5 mg (X5) + Bravelle (X7) + Ovidrel + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP  MC at 5w3d,
    October 2013:  Follistim (X14) + Ovidrel + IUI #4 + Endometrin =BFP!!! 

• Options
    I take Dulcolax almost everyday. It's amazing! My Dr. gave me a list saying I could take most laxatives- Metamucil, Miralax, Dulcolax, and Colace included. You just need to find one that works for your tummy.
  • Options
    You're not alone! I either have diarrhea or I'm constipated. Constipated is worse because I spot bright red after pushing. I'm scared to push now and feel like I constantly am one sneeze away from a shart!
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    There's not much difference between a prescription and OTC prenatal vitamin. However the only actual difference that I'm aware of is that Prescription PNVs usually have a stool softener in it as well, where as an OTC PNV does not. It may be beneficial to switch if you're not married to your current PNV.

Colace OTC also may be taken as directed...extremely helpful for those people whose increased fiber intake just doesn't cut it! Good luck! :o)
  • Options
    One if the nurses I saw recommended the chewable fiber tabs. I've been taking those and they've helped. I've also tried to up my fiber by way of salads and beans.

• Options
    Colace....Miralax.....Prunes. the tri-fecta. :) and I am an RN as well. :) hope this helps!
  • Options
    I take 2 Colace everyday with my prenatal and Metamucil every other day or so. Also, I have prenatals with iron and gummy prenatals without so I switch off which ones I take. If I'm feeling constipated or haven't gone in a couple days I'll make sure I take the gummies.
  • Options
    I was having the hardest time and crying almost EVERYTIME I went x2. Sunday I started green smoothies. LIFESAVER!!! And they taste just like a smoothie!!!! I put canned or frozen pineapple, handful of kale, handful of spinach, half a banana, half an apple and little bit of coconut water & ice! Amazing and fixed my issue immediately!!!! Been having one at least a day!! Love making these in my magic bullet!

TTC Since March 2012 | BFP October 19th 2013 | Est Arrival July 3rd 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Colace, dulcolax, etc. and however much water you ate drinking still drink more. Prunes are your friend too. Can't drink too much water! The one time I had a real problem with this this pregnancy is because I was traveling and didn't drink enough water, even though I drank a lot of it. Stool softener, prunes, and more water got me back on track.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    EllaSmellaEllaSmella member
    edited January 2014
    I talked to my Dr and he recommended using colace stool softener. I haven't got it yet but am definitely willing to try. I'm 12w and go every 3-4 days :( I've also been told to up foods that contain fiber so I bought some raisin bran to give it a try :) foods filled with a lot if fiber scare me tho :p
    This (the Colace). I had some left over from when I had DS and I will take it if things get bad. Luckily, it's been OK lately, but from about 6-9 weeks it was not nice.

• Options
    Miralax once a day. If I don't go then up it to twice a day. Still stuck? Add a stool softner, like senna-s.
  • Options
    DAMMIT. I was feeling so good about myself when this thread started because I was not having this problem but guess what, I hardly pooped yesterday and my morning poop will not work its way out. It's giving me a nice lovely new cramp too.
  • Options
    I did for about four days strait, until I felt ok, but now I think I need to take it again. Its not recommend to take it all the time, the most would be a week. 
  • Options
    Thanks so much, bought some Colace today, going to give it a try!

• Options
    Goodbelly probiotic fruit juice, kefir, hot tea (or even hot water) will help a bit, milk of magnesia, and it sounds odd but if you lay down with your knees tucked to your chest it helps the intestines out a bit (humans were made to squat, not sit while using the restroom). That also helps get painful gas out... :)
  • Options
    May as well get used to the Colace now, you'll want to be on that after birth for a little while.  My pre-natal vitamin actually has softener in it this time, which is great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"