May 2012 Moms

Baby anxiety help please

I having been babysitting a friend of mine's little girl two days a week since July and DD still hasn't adjusted. She is fine as long as my friend is here but as soon as she leaves for work, DD gets very jealous, whiny, and clingy. I thought by now she would be used to having the other baby around but she's not. I can't get anything done because all she wants to do is nurse or sit in my lap. She does play with the other baby sometimes but as soon as I get up to do anything she is wrapped around my leg crying. DD has always been a high needs child but I expected to see some improvement after more than six months... She is still clingy on the days that it's just me and her but not nearly as bad. Any suggestions?

Re: Baby anxiety help please

• I'm interested for replies too. We don't even have another baby around but if I'm bottle feeding the kittens I foster, DD comes over and hits them or tries to push them off my lap. We've been working on redirection mixed with timeouts but I never expected her to act this way.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I don't have any advice, sorry! Just wanted to say that I feel you're pain. DD is also a very high needs kid and I can't even imagine how she would be if we brought another baby into the mix.

How old is the girl you're babysitting?

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • DD is 19 months and the other girl is 18 months.
  • I recommend ignoring the behavior and rewarding not whinnying with extra attention! My boys are 18 months apart so when Nate was this age Lucas was born and we went though the same thing. The only thing that helped was lots or redirection and not rewarding the clinging
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Since they are close in age maybe you can have some new activities that they only get to do when they are both together. Maybe a special craft project or toy that only gets played with when they are together. This might make the visits more exciting and a way for them to bond.

I do understand that they might not understand that concept at this age, but it's worth a try.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Thanks ladies, I'll try that!
  • C has been like that with all new babies that she sees me with.  We got her a baby doll of her very own and she seems way less clingy!  She has a bottle and can feed the baby, we put the baby down for naps, etc. I don't know if it's the distraction factor or the fact that she understands a little bit better.  Either way, it seems to be working for us for now!  Here's hoping it holds out in June when our new baby arrives!  GL!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"