March 2014 Moms

Creative ways to ask friends to be Godparents?

ardmj80ardmj80 member
edited January 2014 in March 2014 Moms
I'm wondering if anyone here has any creative ideas on how to ask friends to be God parents? I have already asked both couples (one couple for each girl) to come out to dinner with us next Saturday. Just want something cute

Re: Creative ways to ask friends to be Godparents?

• I hadn't thought to ask creatively, but now my wheels are turning! What about a "godparent" picture frame with an ultrasound photo? I guess the downside to that would be that they may feel obligated to say yes, but if you are pretty sure they will say yes anyway maybe it would be cute. I'm eager to read others' ideas.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The idea of being cute about asking godparents is kind of weirding me out. The people we asked to be Godparents are the couple we're seriously considering writing into our will to raise our child if something happens to us. It was a very tender but heavy conversation. I got a little teary when they said they'd do that for us.

I know that most people don't make those kinds of plans, but even in a purely religious context ( I was raised Catholic so I guess I'm only seeing that perspective, where it's really pretty serious) aren't you asking them to take moral responsibility for your child's religious upbringing? Is it really the right moment to be cute?

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say we have different kinds of godparents in mind, I suppose! ;-) I guess I'm doing that thing I hate when other people do it----getting all weirded out by different traditions than mine. To help me get over being a little surprised, can you tell me what their role will be? Is this purely honorary? Or.....what?

I think the way you ask them should be reflective of what you expect their future role/relationship to be. So if it's just an honorary thing being lighthearted is probably fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Probably I do, it just surprised me.
  •  
    I think it is perfectly fine to ask in a cute or thoughtful way. Just because your doing it in a creative way doesn't mean that you aren't seriously thinking about them being the ones to raise your child if god forbid anything were to happen. 

PP I think you need to chill. 
    While cute and creative isn't our thing (we'll just call and ask them) I agree that a cute way to ask is fine.  However I didn't get the impression that OP was asking them to be Godparents AND legal guardians.  Some people do choose the same couple for both roles, but Godparents are not automatically the child's guardian as well.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Heh, it actually makes me understand less, 'cuz I totally expected to be told, "oh no, it's not a guardianship decision, it's just this one ceremony!"

Honestly, though, I don't have to understand! I think if I hadn't just had this really emotional conversation a week ago today I wouldn't have batted an eye.

Um, back to the original topic and not my hang-ups about my own mortality.......

it'd be cute to do something with the christening outfit, I think, or some item used in the ceremony? Like if a Bible is used (don't know what denomination you are), giving them an inscribed copy with their names and "godparents of (name)" and a card saying "will you"?

Also everything is fun when put on a CAKE. Cake never goes wrong. I have no idea what would go on a godparents cake. All I can think of is Sirius Black on a motorcycle, which would be SUPER awesome if you're as dorky as me, but probably not. :-)
  • I actually agree with @pepperedmoth in her first post. I never even considered that this was something that needs a "cute" and "unique" event. I am planning on going out to lunch and just asking. But I'm Catholic and feel it's a more serious conversation for me to have with someone.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • Since we can't agree on who will be the godfather, my brother or his, we cannot officially ask anyone. Although I'm kinda pissed that he already told his brother that he's going to be the godfather. He now says that he can't tell him he's not the godfather but I told him he should've never told him he was. His brother is completely irresponsible and cannot take care if himself. He is 27, lives at home, doesn't work and his behavior and mood is unpredictable. I wouldn't even feel safe leaving the baby alone with him. There's no way he's going to be godfather. My brother supports himself, has a good job and owns his own home. I'd feel completely at ease leaving my baby alone with him. This should be a no brainer...
  • I also was raised catholic, but these our my husband and my 5th and 6th kids. None of our children share God parents, and God forbid anything happen to us the kids will not get split up. The roll of our children's God parents is help and be around to support our children in our faith whether we are here or not. That being said I don't feel that there is any reason asking creatively is lessening the meaning.
  • I've been trying to find a way to ask also! While it will be somewhat serious... I don't see the problem with it being "cute". I will be asking my cousin (who is also my best friend) and her husband. They have a little girl, and I know our LO would be loved, well taken care of, and happy with them. :)
    EDD: 03/24/2014

• kaelamerrillkaelamerrill member
    edited January 2014
    Since we can't agree on who will be the godfather, my brother or his, we cannot officially ask anyone. Although I'm kinda pissed that he already told his brother that he's going to be the godfather. He now says that he can't tell him he's not the godfather but I told him he should've never told him he was. His brother is completely irresponsible and cannot take care if himself. He is 27, lives at home, doesn't work and his behavior and mood is unpredictable. I wouldn't even feel safe leaving the baby alone with him. There's no way he's going to be godfather. My brother supports himself, has a good job and owns his own home. I'd feel completely at ease leaving my baby alone with him. This should be a no brainer...
    My DH did this. Over Beers. With his best friend. I was sitting on the couch and I looked over just as he was saying "Of course, you're the Godfather..." :-O

Ummmm. No. Just no. And I told them both I loved them very much, but that there is no way in hell my child's Godfather is going to be someone who has zero responsibility, can't even keep a relationship, and gets everything handed to him because he still lives at home. They both laughed at me, and then DH said, "Well, maybe you can be the fake Godfather?"

As long as he is in no way responsible for my kid, he can be the fake President of the United States, for all I care!

Edit: grammar issues
    EDD: 03/24/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"