Breastfeeding
Options

Working, sleep deprivation and MOTN feedings

DS is 4 1/2 months old and still waking up every three hours at night to eat. I go back to work in a week and am worried about how I am going to be able to function. I'm a walking zombie as it is, let alone having a stressful, fast-paced job and 45 minute drive to work. I'm really concerned how I'm going to do this and worried about my safety driving. DH wants to do bottle feedings at night so I don't always have to get up, but not sure when I would pump that bottle; and I wouldn't want going overnight without nursing to affect my supply. I'd love if DS started STTN but don't know if there's any way to train him to do that. Anyone else dealing with this? What did you do?
Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
Early loss 10/08
Lap 1/09
IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
2 frosties but don't know what's next
FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!

Re: Working, sleep deprivation and MOTN feedings

• Options
    My DS is 3 mo old and sleeps up to 3 hours at a stretch these days, but often more like 2 hours between nighttime feedings.  I am back to work already and also have a fast paced, high intensity job.  I am still doing EBF at night, so I am up multiple times.  I will usually nurse sitting up in bed with him, sometimes I will have DH take him after feeding to burp, rock and get back to sleep.  I am not interested in adding cereal or formula to the bottle as some may suggest.  It's difficult to be sleep deprived, but I feel it is likely only for a few months before the stretches get a little longer.  

I don't have the lengthy commute, however, and I agree that's a major concern.  

If DH can help with some bottles overnight, perhaps you could pump just before bed, and maybe get up like once around midnight to do a quick pump session?  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I went back to work when DD was 9 weeks old, and she was still up every 2-3 hours at night.  I didn't have a lengthy commute, so I feel for you with that!  Is your LO affected when you drink caffeine?  Coffee is still at the top of my morning to-do list...

Sleep training isn't recommended until closer to 6 months.  You will be surprised how your body just functions, regardless of multiple wakings at night.  I just went to work and did my job because that's what I had to do.  

Agree with PP about making sure you get to bed at a reasonable time.  I wake at 5am for work, so I'm in bed at 9pm (even though DD doesn't wake up at night anymore 90% of the time at 13 months).  What time does your LO get put to bed at night?  Something like this might work for you:

LO in bed at 7pm
    Pump at 8:30pm
    You go to bed at 9pm
    DH gives bottle you pumped at first wake up (so you can sleep)
    You hopefully get to sleep until the second wake up (which is hopefully closer to 1 or 2am?)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS was still getting up that often at that age. Now at 5.5 months he is sleeping even longer stretches.

I agree with the pp that getting to bed early is key. I go to bed at 9 pm sharp.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Bed sharing was my solution.  I never felt tired even though baby still nursed frequently at night.  I also found that baby almost always slept the longest stretch early in the evening.  So I went to sleep right when baby did when night wakings were at their most frequent - even if that was like 8!
  • Options
    Oh - I was going to add - like with so many things, I remind myself this is only temporary.

Someday he will be a teenager and I won't be able to wake him!

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    My LO is also 4.5 mo old and up every 3hrs on the dot. I have to get up at 5, have a 30 mile commute each way, stressful job, and don't get home until after 8pm. Honestly, your body just makes it work. I went back the first day on a little over 4hrs of sleep and did ok. I don't feed her in bed, but that is a good suggestion. Also , if your LO doesn't go right back to sleep after eating, have your H help with rocking.

I just keep reminding myself that this is my life now. No sense in thinking how nice it would be to get sleep or reminiscing about pre-baby sleep, because that's never coming back ;) You can do it!

• Options
    Bedsharing is what worked for us. I would barely wake up when DD woke to nurse. I also go to bed when she does, which at 4 months was about 7:30. That way I got plenty of cumulative sleep, even though it was interrupted.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    DS still wakes frequently to nurse throughout the night at 10 months. We bedshare, like PP mentioned, and that's the only way I survive. I don't have as long of a commute but I do use my morning drive time to chill and think and really fully wake my brain up. Also try to eat a really breakfast in the mornings. That always helps too!

• Options
    I pump twice a day in the car. It's awkward, but you do what you have to. Have you tried feeding from one breast and pumping the other in the AM when milk supply is highest? Maybe that's where you can get the extra bottle from. I would definitely agree to let DH do 1 feed in the MOTN.

• Options
    ncbelle said:

Bed sharing was my solution.  I never felt tired even though baby still nursed frequently at night.  I also found that baby almost always slept the longest stretch early in the evening.  So I went to sleep right when baby did when night wakings were at their most frequent - even if that was like 8!

This. I bed share and nurse side-lying. He barley wakes up at all. Usually we both fall back to sleep within the 1st 10 minutes of him searching for my breast. He still nurses several times a night!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"