2nd Trimester
Options

forceps or csection?

My daughter was a forcep delivery and it was brutal. Apparently I am narrow down below.

The thought of a csection with baby #2 terrifies me.... but not sure if I want to chance another forcep delivery.

If those were your only 2 options... which would you choose?

I meet with my OB this week for the first time during this pregnancy... she is the same doc that delivered my daughter (who came out absolutely perfect- not a scratch or a bruise and a perfectly round head!)

Re: forceps or csection?

• Options
    With my daughter I had forceps. My son ended up with shoulder dystocia. I am currently pregnant with third and will be having a c-section as my doctor does not think I am wide enough to successfully deliver another baby without complications. I really don't want a c-section after 2 vaginal births, but I am terrified to go through with another vaginal birth. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    You already had one baby so the second will be so different. She paved a path :)
    I def would not opt for a c unless emergency!
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    C-section.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I say c section.... I just read a terrible story about a poor little baby girl that was supposed to be perfectly healthy, but due to her doctor using forceps, she's now dead. There's a thread about it in the June 2014 board I think..
  • Options
    C-section for sure. I'd rather have a long recovery if it means a safer birth.

Oct 16/13. BFP @ 11 dpo

Oct 21/13. Beta 360 @ 16 dpo

Oct 23/13. Beta 749 @ 18 dpo

Nov 24/13. Saw HB (141bpm) & baby wiggle around via ultrasound @ 9w5d due date changed to June 23!!

Dec 6/13. Heard HB (122bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 11w3d

Jan 9/14. Heard HB (124bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 16w3d irregular beat

Jan 29/14. DH felt kicks for first time @ 19w3d

Feb 2/14. Saw baby via ultrasound (quick scan in ER) @ 19w6d

Feb 6/14. Heard HB (126-134bpm) via Doppler @ 20w3d normal beat

Feb 15/14. AS - baby looked great (measured 1w small) and would NOT let us see sex! @ 21w5d 

Feb 20/14  3D US - its a GIRL!!!!! @ 22w3d

Feb 27/14. Repeat AS for more pics, HB 124bpm  @ 23w3d

Mar 6/14. Heard HB (130bpm) via Doppler @ 24w3d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

• Options
    rainydayluckrainydayluck member
    edited January 2014
    I say c section.... I just read a terrible story about a poor little baby girl that was supposed to be perfectly healthy, but due to her doctor using forceps, she's now dead. There's a thread about it in the June 2014 board I think..
    Third tri has that link posted and a lot of info about how the use of forceps is really declining due to the risk.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks

• Options
    ncbelle said:

There are other options…

Different positions while pushing.  Your pelvis is at its most narrow when you are flat on your back.  Squat or get on all 4s and it opens WAY up!!

Vacuum assisted delivery is the more modern version of forceps and less risky.

I would definitely try different labor positions first though :)
    I had an epidural so I didn't have many options unfortunately! I was also moved to an operating room....doc thought she would try forceps before an emergency csection. My daughter was too high up for the vacuum-so that wasn't an option.

The thought of being awake while being sliced open and feeling tugging.... freaks me right out. I'd rather be put right under.

• Options
    I have been asking myself this same question. I am considering a C-Section if Forceps will have to be used. This is just how I feel after reading the story mentioned above. So Sad. :(

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Csec! I had one with my first and a Vbac with my second. I would choose csec over forceps any day.

Edit-typo
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    veetveet said:
    There are other options…

Different positions while pushing.  Your pelvis is at its most narrow when you are flat on your back.  Squat or get on all 4s and it opens WAY up!!

I had an epidural so I didn't have many options unfortunately! I was also moved to an operating room....doc thought she would try forceps before an emergency csection. My daughter was too high up for the vacuum-so that wasn't an option. The thought of being awake while being sliced open and feeling tugging.... freaks me right out. I'd rather be put right under.
    I didn't feel any of that.  They told me I would but I didn't.  The only thing I "felt" was when they shaved the surgical field and that was just some vibration.  
  • Options
    As much as I'm afraid of a c-section. I rather that then forceps.
  • Options
    LegalLadyBugLegalLadyBug member
    edited January 2014
    I'd go c section and I'm afraid of them. At my hospital my OB is the only doctor allowed to use foreceps, he's been around forever and he's the only one with training because its generally considered a last resort. Most doctors these days will go to a c section instead because there is less risk to the baby.

ETA: even vacuums aren't guaranteed. You can ask your OB what your hospitals policy is on them but I know at mine once there are 3 "pop offs" they can't use it anymore. It's another thing that can be harmful if not done right :-/

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary
  • Options
    C-section for sure. I loved mine and am actually looking forward to the repeat.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    mysticl said:

veetveet said:

There are other options…

I had an epidural so I didn't have many options unfortunately! I was also moved to an operating room....doc thought she would try forceps before an emergency csection. My daughter was too high up for the vacuum-so that wasn't an option.

The thought of being awake while being sliced open and feeling tugging.... freaks me right out. I'd rather be put right under.

I didn't feel any of that.  They told me I would but I didn't.  The only thing I "felt" was when they shaved the surgical field and that was just some vibration.  

A good friend of mine was not frozen enough... and she felt them cutting...she had to tell them (thru her screams) that she needed more drugs. After that story it freaked me out more than ever!!
  • Options
    ncbelle said:

There are other options…

This^ 100% what I was going to say
  • Options
    I would choose csection over forcep delivery. However I would choose a vaccuum assisted over csection...

• Options
    Forceps scare me 1000x more then c-section..Forceps can be so much more damaging to baby and mom, and are far less controlled..
  • Options
    C-section.  I've heard (and my own experience backs this up) that scheduled c-sections can be much easier to recover from since you're not exhausted from labor.  With both of my c/s, I was up and walking within a day, had no problems with stairs or carrying LO, and felt pretty darn good.  You should also post your question on the c-section board, you'll get more insight from women who've been there.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I've never had any experience with either since I'm an FTM so you can take this with a grain of salt if you like...

It sounds like you are really psyching yourself out about the c-section based on other people's stories. Remember that everyone's experience is different. It's good to be prepared for the possibilities but just because something awful happened to someone else doesn't mean it's going to happen to you. I can't tell you how many people have decided to share all of their childbirth horror stories with me since finding out that I'm pregnant. You just have to try to learn from their experience, think about how you'd handle that situation, then move on and don't dwell on it. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

If you're serious about not having the c-section, then I agree completely with the ladies suggesting that you forgo the epidural, at least for as long as you possibly can. It will give you a lot more options for vaginal delivery and there are other pain management techniques you can look into.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Appreciate the input! Will talk to my doc tomorrow.

I do want to say that with my daughter my water broke at home.... and it a was a continuous flow of bright red blood with massive clots that no pads could hold! (Totally not what I was expecting and have never seen so much blood in my life!) So walking around, squatting etc was not an option.... it was a danger for me and everyone else for slipping and falling. I sat on the ball for a bit and everytime I had a contraction a ton of blood would flow... absolutely disgusting!

I have zero desire for a natural birth. Definitely all about the epidural.
  • Options
    Forceps should be illegal by now they are bad news IMO
  • Options
    Spoke to my doc the other day... she said she will not use forceps on a mother twice. (I didn't ask why). Other than crazy painful and a crappy recovery... my daughter came.out perfect... not a bruise or a scratch and her head was perfectly round.

Have to mentally prepare myself for a c - section, just in case! I love my doc.... but no guarantee she will deliver. It's whatever doc is working at that moment.
  • Options
    C-section. My middle bit isn't as important as my daughter's head.

Plus my only experience of forceps delivery is that my mother was one. She ended up having epilepsy caused by scar tissue on her brain which was where? You guessed it! Right where the forceps were! She ended up having epilepsy drugs for many years and eventually brain surgery to remove the scar tissue, which cured it. This was a home birth in the 60s, so maybe the risks weren't understood? Too much to risk putting someone through IMO. Cut me open if necessary. I'm not much of a bikini babe anyway.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"