April 2014 Moms

Diaper Genie or pail?

I don't really like this whole registry thing...

Re: Diaper Genie or pail?

• I have a diaper genie upstairs and on the main level... I throw pee diapers in regular trash in our kitchen (it has a lid so it doesn't smell) and poo diapers in the diaper genie. I know a lot of people don't think they're necessary but I like mine, they keep the smell away!
  • We live in an upstairs apartment so we will be getting one so we don't have to make a ton of trips to the dumpster multiple times a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • We just used a trashcan until my son started on solids. But I EBF so the poop barely smelled. We would take the trash from that room every other day or so and never had a problem with smell. After we intro'd solids we switched to a can with a lid. We kept up with emptying the trashcan so we never dealt with smell unless we forgot to empty it.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Knufflebunny2Knufflebunny2 member
    edited January 2014
    We just put it in a plastic bag and run it to the trash. I have tried a diaper genie but I swear I still smell it. Eta: For spelling-on my phone and messed up.
  • I used a DG for pee diapers in the the babies room, and run the poops to a Bag in the garage to be dumped outside in the big trash daily. I loved my DG i couldn't smell anything.
  • I use a diaper champ. Diaper genie refills are such a waste of money. We had one w baby 1&2 and then used Champ with 3. 4,7,&6 were cloth diapered but I'm not CDing twins this time unless I have to due to skin allergies. Diaper champ it is!
  • I used one with my first two and won't for my third. I think the refills are a waste of money. When I would empty them the smell was so awful! I just use grocery bags to bag up poop diapers and toss them outside and throw out at the end of the day. Pee goes in the trash can. I run a daycare so we make plenty of trash to empty at the end of the day.
  • We just put it in a plastic bag and run it to the trash. I have tried a diaper genie but I swear I still smell it. Eta: For spelling-on my phone and messed up.

This exactly. I still smell it no matter what in the diaper pails/genies. I wrap it in a scented bag and take it out.
  • I never had a problem with just throwing away diapers in the kitchen trash. Our can does have a lid so maybe that kept the smell in. It also never fillled up any faster than a normals day trash. I always found the diaper genies to be a waste.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was on the fence with this itemsince some people said waste/ some said nessicity. I found a Diaper Champ at a consignment store for $15. I only decided to get it because you can put regular bags it in & because we have 2 dogs. One which will open our kitchen simple human trash sometimes, so I didn't want to deal with that if diapers were in there.
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• SS: Kitchen trash can with a pail liner for the cloth diapers!
  • I was on the fence with this itemsince some people said waste/ some said nessicity. I found a Diaper Champ at a consignment store for $15. I only decided to get it because you can put regular bags it in & because we have 2 dogs. One which will open our kitchen simple human trash sometimes, so I didn't want to deal with that if diapers were in there.

Good point with the dogs. I read an article about a dog dying from eating soiled diapers. The gel in the diapers is really bad for their digestive tract. Be sure to keep those things away from fur babies. I have a poop eating dog this time around so I will have to be extra careful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a Dekor and like it, although with my pregnancy sensitivity to smells I throw all poppy diapers away outside right away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just used a regular trash can with regular bags and tie them up after every poopy diaper. We live in an apt too and DH just runs them out every morning when he leaves, or if we have an afternoon poop DS and I take it when we leave for an outing.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • We're looking at the Dekor.  I've read that the biodegradable bags smell really bad, but the regular ones are okay.  
    imageDSC_9275  image

• We have the DG (mil insisted on buying it for us with our first), and I go back & forth about it. I guess we will continue to use is with this LO. Also, just so you know, Target now makes an up&up version of the liners that are cheaper & still work IMO. Up&up can do no wrong in my mind!
  • sking72sking72 member
    edited January 2014
    I'm a first time mom and I registered for the Arm and Hammer one just because we have one garbage can in the house and we have to drive our garbage to the farm dumpster. I figured even if it's not perfect with keeping the smell in, it's someplace to put them other than the kitchen garbage. We'll see how it works out...

Edit: added thought, nursery/changer is upstairs so I don't want to have to run the diapers downstairs, I want something upstairs that I can throw things out it. 
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • britt33 said:
    We live in an upstairs apartment so we will be getting one so we don't have to make a ton of trips to the dumpster multiple times a day.
    Same here... we live in a third floor condo with no elevator :(  I watched a bunch of reviews on youtube and decided I liked the DG best, so registered for that!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a genie for DD and liked it enough. What I've found is easier is to save the bags from our produce shopping, tie the diapers off in one of those, and drop them in the regular trash. Sort of like what you do while walking the dog.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I wasn't sold on the idea of too many used diapers being in any one place inside my house for too long.
    We use grocery bags for poop diapers and put them straight into the outside trash can. I keep pee diapers in a lidded can and bring them to the outside trash each night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have the arm and hammer one and still use it for my 18 month old. Never noticed a smell ever. Id highly recommend.

• For disposables, all peed diapers went straight to the garbage can, poop diapers were put into a plastic grocery bag and tied shut and then in the garbage can. For three kids, never had smell issues. 
  • thomas930 said:

I never had a problem with just throwing away diapers in the kitchen trash. Our can does have a lid so maybe that kept the smell in. It also never fillled up any faster than a normals day trash. I always found the diaper genies to be a waste.

This.
  • We use an arm & hammer pail in DS's room. We love it. I only notice a smell when we change the bag. The boys' rooms are right beside each other, so I'll keep the pail to use for the 2 of them. I'll get another one to use downstairs when this LO is born since we spend majority of our time there.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had a Dekor Plus and loved it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"