C-sections
Options

CS nausea & vomiting

STM's who have had a c-section...at what point, if at all, did you become nauseated? Did you actually get sick? What likely caused it, and what would you suggest to prevent it? I'm terrified of getting sick while laying down with everything else going on. TIA!

Re: CS nausea & vomiting

• Options
    It's caused by the spinal and meds lowering your blood pressure. My first I was fine, my second I started getting nauseous and just told the anesthesiologist. They give you something in your IV to stop it. Within 5 breaths I was fine again. It can also be nerves.. They can give you something for that too. You will have an empty stomach if it's scheduled so I wouldn't worry too much about it even if you did manage to get that far, not much would be coming up.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I remember feeling a little nauseated during my second but it was really just from nerves I think.  Like the PP said, I told the anesthesiologist and they gave me some zofran in my iv, I think and it was gone.  Never threw up.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I felt nausea as soon as the baby came out. I said out loud several times I feel like I am going to get sick... I am going to throw up and no one came to me... I literally turned my head and threw up all in my hair :( the anesthesiologist was like oh I am sorry... Yea OK that appology makes it better! I also got sick later after chugging too much cranberry juice. I was so dehydrated from the oxygen mask I couldn't help my self. Throwing up sucks after a c section too :(
    Good luck!

photo ecba2e48-bd74-4395-8ca1-47ae6b5df68a_zpsfd491ced.jpg photo 5d7e0910-4031-45ed-a61f-09e4245b7ac6_zps1b85690c.jpg photo 341b9e4e-8eea-4939-9d55-a1c1cf07a00c_zpsa176d7dc.jpg

photo 84a2920e-2954-4acf-9275-ad8708055b12_zpseb05b8cb.jpg

Me and DH - 26years old; IF DX: PCOS, Hypothyroid/Hashimotos(me)
    IVF #1 April 2012- 15 ER (4/13), 13 Fertilized, 1 transfered (4/16), 3 frozen
    Beta #1(4/28)-127 Beta #2(4/30)-301 Beta #3(5/7)-5570!!
    First ultrasound showed 1 strong little heart beat! (5/25) 7/16.. ITS A BOY!
    Brayden Nicholas Born Dec 29 2012 - 7 lbs 10 oz 20 in
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Like PP said, it is caused by the lowering of your BP. I got sick right after they gave me the spinal block. I threw up, but it was only acid. They gave me something through my IV and in about 30 seconds the nausea was gone.

• Options
    I never felt sick during. I got sick much later, like 12 hours after, because I was starving and ate solids too soon.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I didn't feel sick my first time but did my 2nd time.  The anesthesiologist stays right by you and if you just tell him/her you're sick he'll put some Zofran in your IV and it works almost instantly.  I actually needed 2 doses because a few minutes after the first I started feeling sick again.  

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I was nauseated the whole time. The anesthesiologist gave me 2 rounds of an anti nausea medication in my IV and put mint in front of my nose. It helped a little. Finally when they were moving me from the operating table to the recovery table I vomited all over myself. It was a really awful sensation because you can't use your muscles to help you vomit. Ugh.
  • Options
    I threw up during prep. I have no idea if they gave me something or just getting it out made me feel better.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never threw up in the OR but with all previous c-sections I would vomit within 6 hrs after the operation. Once b/c I drank too much apple juice and the other was not much but acid in my stomach and throwing up post c-section is terrible, Hurts like heck!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I was throwing up in active labor/pushing with ODS before my c/s even started and continued to do so for a couple of days afterward. After the fact, I realized I must have gotten an epidural migraine. With my RCS, I was fine until I was in recovery and started to feel sick. They immediately gave me something (Phenegran?) that helped and knocked me out for awhile. No issues after that. I do tend to have a weak stomach, though.
  • Options
    I felt a little nauseous during my second - but I told the anesthesiologist and he gave me a shot and it went away.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • Options
    Oh man was I sick.  I got really nauseous during the c/s.  I kept telling them I was going to be sick, but they never did anything about it.  I somehow managed to hold it in.  However, once I got back to my room, I threw up for 8 hours.  Well, threw up bile for a few hours and dry heaved for a few more.  My stomach was so empty.  If I have another c/s I am demanding they give me something.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was given a nastey tasting liquid prior to going in for the c-section to prevent the nasuea. It worked and I had no issues other then getting that stuff down and keeping it down.
  • Options
    I felt like I was going to get sick when I was in the OR and they were prepping me.  They must have given me something because it eventually passed but it wasn't pleasant.  Afterwards when I was in my room I did get sick a couple times.  It sucks when you puke in your hair because no one is fast enough with the garbage can.  Jerks.   :D
  • Options
    Eleventy11Eleventy11 member
    edited January 2014
    ejb23 said:
    I threw up during prep. I have no idea if they gave me something or just getting it out made me feel better.

This happened with both of mine.
  • Options
    You can sometimes vomit b/c your blood pressure is dropping during surgery or prep. If you tell the anesthesiologist they will give you something ASAP. Vomiting is one of the first ways your body reacts to a sudden drop in blood pressure.  
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"