February 2014 Moms

Post c-section gas pain... Looking for tips or tried remedies.

Basically found out today, 3 days after my surgery that I am one of the lesser percent and have a large amount of trapped air/gas and its actually pushing up on my diaphragm which is giving me a almost panic attack feeling as I'm not able to take a deep breathe. That and the combination actual gas pains and I'm dying over here. The pain meds are helping w the pain now but I'm sure it's bound to get worse before better cuz they can constipate you. Just wondering if anyone has anything they suggest? The nurse just keeps saying time, I'm heading home tom so would like a lil jump start..Hot pad? Ice? A certain script!? I have been up and walking and it's not doing a whole lot.

Re: Post c-section gas pain... Looking for tips or tried remedies.

• DId they give you a folded up pillow to press againt your abdomen?  That helped with some of my pain when I was talking and breathing, but I didn't have gas pain, sorry. 

• Basically found out today, 3 days after my surgery that I am one of the lesser percent and have a large amount of trapped air/gas and its actually pushing up on my diaphragm which is giving me a almost panic attack feeling as I'm not able to take a deep breathe. That and the combination actual gas pains and I'm dying over here. The pain meds are helping w the pain now but I'm sure it's bound to get worse before better cuz they can constipate you. Just wondering if anyone has anything they suggest? The nurse just keeps saying time, I'm heading home tom so would like a lil jump start..Hot pad? Ice? A certain script!? I have been up and walking and it's not doing a whole lot.

No experience, but I'm sorry Hun. Ouch. ((((Hugs))))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Because Daryl+Puppy =ALL the feels

• Loading the player...
  • Ask for an enema! Gross I know but it was the only thing that worked for me. That and walking as much as I could.
    Our baby boy passed to SIDS on 12/6/12http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vaebew.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    A gift from Heaven...Our Little RAINBOW arrived 1/31/14!

• Magnesium and colace worked for me. So sorry!!

~ Married 10.30.04 ~
    DS1 born 12.31.11 ~ DS2 born 2.4.14

• Never had a csection but I did have abdominal surgery and they used gas to inflate my belly so they could see what they were doing, the pain afterwards was horrible and some of the gas got caught under my shoulder for a few days (normal but fuuuuck). Walking around was truly the best cure for me, and expelling gas any way I could. Burps, farts, let 'em rip. Try resting with your knees bent up a bit? Sorry, I know it's awful.

That's the exact pain I'm talkin about! It's behind my shoulders and up under my ribs.. I guess I'll just keep walking :) I have been using a pillow for counter pressure when on the toilet so I can actually push some of it out, but then I get nervous ill rip open. I was taking a laxative but now asked for some milk of mag... I guess I gotta poop and keep moving...
  • OTMFL said:

The gas is building up because the motility of your intestines slow down. I'm going to guess that you haven't pooped since the procedure. Colace is over the counter and can help get things moving again, if this is the situation.

Yea no BM yet.. Which considering my surgery was 12 on tues and I have eaten 6-7 meals something's gotta give soon...
  • njb750 said:

No different advice other than what the other ladies have said.  Although I'd like to stress the walking!  I'm sure it's uncomfortable but there is nothing better for post-surgical healing than walking when you are able! GL to you!!! Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Well now that we have my meds tweaked so I can actually move I will def get walking. It took a bit to get them figured out... I was going from 3 on pain scale to 8 in 30min... Now I'm more consistent, just got a cup o joe maybe that will help to :)
  • slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited January 2014
    Walking is the only thing and a nice warm/hot shower helped too.  Colace Colace Colace.  I will start taking it about 3-5 days before my c/s this time b/c those post c/s poops are HELL.  I'm so sorry... hope it works its way out soon!

ETA: It was at least a full week or more after each of my sections before I pooped (I think maybe even 2 weeks for a REAL poop after my first?) .  I don't normally poop every single day but that was extreme for me.  

• RondackHikerRondackHiker member
    edited January 2014
    Take a walk, drink some coffee, have some colace, consider a laxative if the doctor okays it... And tell them you haven't pooped yet.

Many places won't discharge if you haven't pooped.

image image
  • Did they give you the thing to blow into? I think its called a spiramonitor or something like that. Walking (which you are already doing) and gasx strips help too.

at least this is what they told me to do after I had surgery in 2011. Its a scary feeling. :(

Hope you feel better soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I asked for milk of mag tues might and my nurse said they don't do that anymore!? after my last 2 it was a daily shot til u pooped. She brought me dolcolax which my doc said isn't going to to anything so he put the order in this am for the mag after we talked.... It's like it's a power play! The same nurse was messing up my pain dosage tues/wed. I know that they deal daily w patients and recovery but that does not make them the boss! Although having the key to the med cabinet does make them pretty powerful... Getting the mag drinking coffee now so hope that gets it moving and groving. And I'm a very reasonable person but thinking of requesting a dif nurse.
  • Walking helps a lot
  • Ditto the walking and hot shower. Once you have BM it should help. Try some prune juice and colace. Have someone rub your lower back in a circular motion too.

• My hospital has been giving me gas pills (I chew them like tums) a few times a day. They told me they're called milicon? They also gave me a stool softener the first day, senekot.
    Hope something works for you soon!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I remember how bad that pain was after having DS. Ditto what others have said, and definitely get a laxative to help you go. Like @slwprincess, I also did not poop for a week after having DS. It is definitely tough, and I'm sorry you're dealing with that! I hope something helps you soon!
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

• My mom was like you after her c-sect. Walking, coffee and everything else they gave her didn't work. She did the enema. (Hugs)
  • (((((BIG HUGS)))))

Hope you find relief soon!
  • Im telling you, ask for an enema!!! I couldn't handle the gas pain. I almost couldn't walk because of it, which made it worse!
    Our baby boy passed to SIDS on 12/6/12http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vaebew.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    A gift from Heaven...Our Little RAINBOW arrived 1/31/14!

• After my c section walking ( which hurts ) and my dr wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I pooped . I hope you get some relief soon :-)
  • GAS-X will work wonders! I can't believe no one has said that yet. My discharge nurse recommended it and it worked much better than the Mylicon in the hospital. I would have been really hurting without it!! Good luck!!
    Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• bribbon said:

Prunes and prune juice! Should be in the L&D fridge :).

Plus didn't the hospital give you Mylicon pills? Those help too! A good BM will help, once you can manage that.

Yes! I got 2 mylicom and took w a cup of black coffe and was farting up a storm... Actually had small bm (sorry tmi) and feeling improvement... I never had experienced gas pain pressure like that before, I guess I didn't realize how much gets trapped and has to find its way out.
  • Ugh, this sounds rough. I hope it gets better soon. 

I have had a lot of success with a probiotic pill (I take Align) for gas pains. No experience with a c section but many years of IBS. Magnesium also helps me poop. 

• Ask them for the creamy liquid medicine thing that you drink-- it seems like a creamer the package it comes in, where you peel the lid back. I have no idea what it is specifically, maybe maalox? But it has to do with gas. And also ask for stool softener, that and walking around as much as you can helps tremendously!

• I'm sorry. They gave me colace and a laxative multiple times a day, as well as walking a lot. I also say try a hot shower, that helped me.
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm sorry. They gave me colace and a laxative multiple times a day, as well as walking a lot. I also say try a hot shower, that helped me.

I was just asking about u! How's the baby? How are u?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"