May 2013 Moms
Options

UO

Has this not been started yet? Let's hear 'em!

Re: UO

• Options
    I love baby leggings! The ones that look like giant socks that go all the way up the baby's legs. I also use cloth diapers so that may be why I think they are adorable. I can't really see them looking all that great with disposable diapers, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    1and1is31and1is3 member
    edited January 2014
    To be the devils advocate so to speak...
    1. Some people go through real life difficulties together before they get married (loss of family members, over coming obstacles etc.). For some people counseling isn't really necessary. That being said, I do agree that marriage is taken way too lightly these days.

2. As for parenting classes, the same rule applies. Some people practically raised their siblings or worked in an area where they already learned all that a parenting class would tell them. I would be furious if someone required me to pay for a class that didn't teach me anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ^ This.  And, not everyone agrees on how to raise children.

My UO:I don't find Channing Tatum attractive.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I hate baby jeans! Who the hell wants to sleep in jeans?!?! My MIL bought DS a pair when he was a newborn, he NEVER wore them, they were the stiffest most uncomfortable looking things in the world! DS has a pair of fake jeans, they are cotton and look like jeans, they are the only ones I will put on him! 
  • Options
    kmcd23 said:
    Hmm... After my experiences over the holidays, I'm going to say new grandparents need to take the parenting classes. So much bad, outdated advice heaped on me lately!
    Yes please!
  • Options

I hate baby jeans! Who the hell wants to sleep in jeans?!?! My MIL bought DS a pair when he was a newborn, he NEVER wore them, they were the stiffest most uncomfortable looking things in the world! DS has a pair of fake jeans, they are cotton and look like jeans, they are the only ones I will put on him! 

H&M has some thin and soft jeans that have a stretchy fabric waistband. Just in case you ever want to venture into the jeans world, I found that they are the only ones I like.

https://www.hm.com/us/s/06E8L3
  • Options
    Trish625 said:
    H&M has some thin and soft jeans that have a stretchy fabric waistband. Just in case you ever want to venture into the jeans world, I found that they are the only ones I like. https://www.hm.com/us/s/06E8L3
    Good to know! The ones we got were from Walmart and were so stiff! OMG!
  • Options
    @emmy236, I agree. I think this country has more legislation on marriage that it needs, thank you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am eating my words here but I now see where you ladies were coming from when you said sleepers were for in the house.  I get you ! It's like a switch went off in my head and all of a sudden they look terrible now. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kmcd23 said:

Lolalipsy said:

I am eating my words here but I now see where you ladies were coming from when you said sleepers were for in the house.  I get you ! It's like a switch went off in my head and all of a sudden they look terrible now. 

Traitor!
    Lol I have no scruples
    ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    beaubecca said:
    It's mandating it that is offensive.
    But when you live in a civilized society all kinds of things are mandated. Sending your child to school ate age 5 is mandatory. Taking a class for a drivers license is mandatory. I know its extreme and I'm sure there could be some sort of opt out. But I really dont see the harm and I think the benefits would far outweigh any harm.
    but those things aren't actually mandatory, at least not where I live and/or grew up. Children are home schooled all over the country and if I were to home school my children, I would want them to have a well-rounded education, but there's no regulation on that. Different cultures have a different idea of what education level is required and while I may not understand it and agree with it on a personal level, I don't think anyone has any right to mandate it either.

And at least in my state, where I grew up, taking a driver's ed class was and still is completely optional.
  • Options
    beaubecca said:
    beaubecca said:
    But when you live in a civilized society all kinds of things are mandated. Sending your child to school ate age 5 is mandatory. Taking a class for a drivers license is mandatory. I know its extreme and I'm sure there could be some sort of opt out. But I really dont see the harm and I think the benefits would far outweigh any harm.
    but those things aren't actually mandatory, at least not where I live and/or grew up. Children are home schooled all over the country and if I were to home school my children, I would want them to have a well-rounded education, but there's no regulation on that. Different cultures have a different idea of what education level is required and while I may not understand it and agree with it on a personal level, I don't think anyone has any right to mandate it either.

And at least in my state, where I grew up, taking a driver's ed class was and still is completely optional.
    Home schooling is still a mandated curriculum. And yes a license is a privilege and I think having kids is a privilege.
    It varies state by state. Some states have a highly regulated home school system where parents are required by law to provide their currlculum, etc. Other states have no regulation at all.
  • Options
    beaubecca said:

beaubecca said:

But when you live in a civilized society all kinds of things are mandated. Sending your child to school ate age 5 is mandatory. Taking a class for a drivers license is mandatory.

I know its extreme and I'm sure there could be some sort of opt out. But I really dont see the harm and I think the benefits would far outweigh any harm.

Home schooling is still a mandated curriculum. And yes a license is a privilege and I think having kids is a privilege.

I believe in MA if you are 18 or older you do not need to take Driver's Ed. You could just get your permit and then your license.

And I strongly believe that a license and having kids are privileges. Far too many ppl abuse these things.

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    I had my first child when i was young and the hospital offered me free parenting classes and someone to come to my house at 2 weeks pp. its a program offered to "teen" mom or mothers needing guidance. some was basic info but i did learn alot. And i would recommend it to anyone have a kid no matter what your circumstances are.

• Options
    Shoegal36Shoegal36 member
    edited January 2014
    While I don't necessarily think parenting classes should be mandatory, I think they are a good thing and that a lot of people don't really understand what they're all about (or at least some of them). 

They are actually free where I live, and people still don't go to them because they think it's silly. Even if you have babysat, taken care of siblings, etc. guidelines change all the time. While I did already know a lot of the stuff they talked about, there were probably a lot of people that didn't.

For example they talked about car seat safety and how your baby shouldn't wear puffy jackets/suits in them, how tight the straps should be, how your baby should stay rear facing until they reach the weight limit of the seat and why, etc. They talked about SIDS and blankets, overheating, stuff like that. To a lot of people it might be common sense, but to other people it isn't. We all know that stuff, because we talk about it on here and share information but some people just go by what their parents tell them, even though they had babies 30+ years ago. My SIL rolled her eyes when we told her we were going to the class and said "you know you don't HAVE to go, right?" She also has my 2 month old nephew's crib FULL of stuffed animals and blankets, and she turned my niece to front facing the day she turned 1 because she was 22 lbs. It's her choices and it's her kids, but I feel like if she had an expert explain the risks to her, she might do things differently instead of just thinking it's silly and that me and H are paranoid. 

Marriage counselling I think is probably a good thing too, but again, shouldn't be mandatory. People would still get divorced. 

ETA I meant to say, I think that people assuming parenting classes are all about showing you how to change a diaper, baths, swaddling...They actually didn't show any of that. At least in our case. It was more about safety. Those types of things the nurses offered to show us after LO was born and we could say yes or no. 
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't advocate for pre-marriage classes / counseling...plenty enough is mandated as it is.  DH and I were required to take a marriage class in order to be married in the Catholic church.  (I'm not Christian, but DH is.)  The class basically focused on "tough" issues (finances, childrearing, etc.) and made sure that couples discussed those things.  I was blown away by the number of couples who were like, "Oh, we'd never thought about that!"

I hated the class and the fact that we "had" to take it, but it's scary how many people get married without realizing they're completely opposed on issues that are, you know, kind of important.  But hey - to each their own!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    nonniedee said:
    I hate the idea of mandated parenting classes. I skipped the shaken baby video in the hospital. Some of the nurses got very snippy with me, but I didn't care.
    My BFF was there when i was told all the videos to watch so she watched them with me.  Two nurses came in the room because we were laughing and making fun of them Mystery Science Theater style so loud.  

I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • Options
    We had to do a marriage class to get married at our church.  We were in a group with 12 other couples.  It opened our eyes to how crazy people are!  We walked out feeling pretty darn good about our relationship and communication skills.  In no way did I mean to sound like a smug ahole btw.
    I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • Options
    CNJ4EVA said:

Going off the marriage topic, I'm an advocate for enjoying marriage for a few years before starting a family.

I know this is very unpopular, almost every couple I know had a LO before their 1st anniversary. I also know there are different reasons and circumstances that cause people to have kids right away.

I'm just a fan of waiting a couple of years, I can't even really define why, but that's my UO.

I agree. Marriage is hard and I think couples should take their time before having kids and adding more stressors.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CNJ4EVA said:
    Going off the marriage topic, I'm an advocate for enjoying marriage for a few years before starting a family. I know this is very unpopular, almost every couple I know had a LO before their 1st anniversary. I also know there are different reasons and circumstances that cause people to have kids right away. I'm just a fan of waiting a couple of years, I can't even really define why, but that's my UO.
    During my Sociology class in college they said that statistically, people who were married 3 years or longer before they had kids had the highest success rate.  
    I'm just quoting my sociology class and in no way view this as right or wrong... DH and I were married for exactly 3 years when we got pregnant out of sheer luck. 
  • Options
    CNJ4EVA said:

Going off the marriage topic, I'm an advocate for enjoying marriage for a few years before starting a family.

I know this is very unpopular, almost every couple I know had a LO before their 1st anniversary. I also know there are different reasons and circumstances that cause people to have kids right away.

I'm just a fan of waiting a couple of years, I can't even really define why, but that's my UO.

I dont think that is an OU, personally. We were married for 12 years before we had L. I think a solid foundation is priceless, and I really cherish and appreciate the time we had together. You dont necessarily have to wait as long as we did, lol, but there is no denying that a baby changes so much in a marriage. There have been times that I've never loved him more, and times I've never been so annoyed!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    nonniedee said:
    I hate the idea of mandated parenting classes. I skipped the shaken baby video in the hospital. Some of the nurses got very snippy with me, but I didn't care.

I skipped the video too, and I also got an attitude from the nurse. She made me feel like MOTY! After having 3 kids, I think I know how to properly care for a newborn, thanks!
    Mommy of 3 beautiful boys!
    image.
  • Options
    DH and I got married young and also knew we would be living a gypsy lifestyle for a few years. Waiting 4 years makes people ask you a lot of questions. Why are you waiting? Are you have fertility problems? Is DH sterile? Are you going to get a divorce? It was like such a strange idea to people that DH and I got married because we actually love each other and love being together. I'd tell people that and they just looked at me like I had 3 heads. When we were finally pregnant I had to send ultrasonic proof it was a human baby and not another puppy. But almost everyone I know who is getting married now (mid/late 20s) are trying to have a baby. I don't know about anyone else but year 1 and 2 of marriage were tough.
  • Options
    CNJ4EVA said:

Does is count if you're with your partner for 7yrs before getting married? We were pregnant before our first wedding anniversary but we think it happened while celebrating 8yr dating anniversary...
  • Options
    I think the mandated thing is what I have the biggest problem with. Yes, classes are good things but I think requiring them would cause more problems than being helpful.
  • Options
    emmy236 said:

DH and I got married young and also knew we would be living a gypsy lifestyle for a few years. Waiting 4 years makes people ask you a lot of questions. Why are you waiting? Are you have fertility problems? Is DH sterile? Are you going to get a divorce? It was like such a strange idea to people that DH and I got married because we actually love each other and love being together. I'd tell people that and they just looked at me like I had 3 heads. When we were finally pregnant I had to send ultrasonic proof it was a human baby and not another puppy. But almost everyone I know who is getting married now (mid/late 20s) are trying to have a baby. I don't know about anyone else but year 1 and 2 of marriage were tough.

The first 2 years were really tough for us too and so I feel the way I do based on my experiences as well as close friends' and family's. We waited 3.5 years and I'm thankful.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"