March 2012 Moms
Options

Suddenly Picky Eater

DD went from eating anything we put in front of her to saying, "Yich!!!" and burying her head over anything other than cheese slices, overnight. She likes to drag me into to the kitchen and stand there and say "no," to everything I offer her. I try giving her two choices, nothing more, and she pushes them both away. Sometimes she will say "yes" to something but once I've prepared it, she refuses to eat it. I try waiting until I figure she MUST be hungry and hold my ground about what she's going to eat, but it's as if she'd rather starve. Sometimes she won't even eat the damn cheese. She'll open the fridge and try to take out the juice. "You want juice? Okay." I pour the juice, she doesn't want it. But she gets mad when I try and put the juice carton back in the fridge. Any thoughts on the sudden change and tips that have worked for you and your picky eaters? The child won't even eat pizza.

Re: Suddenly Picky Eater

• Options
    milk shakes..you can hide anything in a milkshake

. is she teething? that does a number on eating habits with my kid...either that or she's just asserting her independence and you just have to ride the waves and try and give her things she can feed herself even if its messy. 

Good luck I know how frustrating it can be
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with Wipz. It could be teething or even just being independent.

My DS has been a picky eater ever since we switched from purees to solids. He is incredibly headstrong but will eat when he is hungry. I just offer a variety at mealtime. Supper is a big meal for us. I try my best to make sure it's well balanced. He will usually at least try something. If he doesn't I assume he's not hungry.

If he is teething then he is usually just not interested (and I can't say I blame him).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. I don't think she's teething right now. But asserting her independence? Totally. I'm looking forward to this phase passing though, that'a for sure. I feel like she is going to starve or that if the only thing I can get her to eat is bananas she is going to get sick and/or turn into a banana. Yesterday she pointed at Cheerios and yelled, "Cheerios!" In delight. I was just relieved that she wanted SOMETHING. But then she just poured the Cheerios all over the floor, looked up at me, and said, "Oh NO!" Like she couldn't believe what happened. I know she just wants a reaction out of me. She likes to know that she can get me to respond and react. I try to react to her eating, but the negative responses, to her those are much more amusing.

• Options
    J gets into these moods sometimes too. Its so frustrating! I just try not to stress out about it (easier said than done) and remember that toddlers don't eat like adults. My pedi has always said that they'll eat when they're hungry. If I get desperate, I'll make a milkshake or Carnation "chocolate milk" with some good foods and vitamins in it.
    It amazes me that their favorite food one day is THE DEVIL the next day. What the heck, crazy kid?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    DS gets crazy picky when he's teething. I keep 3-4 snacks in a bin in the cupboard and also in the fridge. When he wants a snack he gets to pick whatever he wants out of the bin. If he doesn't want one of the options, oh well. He will whine or cry, but usually ends up just choosing one. He rarely doesn't pick one right away, he likes having all the options.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    DS gets crazy picky when he's teething. I keep 3-4 snacks in a bin in the cupboard and also in the fridge. When he wants a snack he gets to pick whatever he wants out of the bin. If he doesn't want one of the options, oh well. He will whine or cry, but usually ends up just choosing one. He rarely doesn't pick one right away, he likes having all the options.
    This is a great idea. DS likes to fling the fridge open on his own, which we tell him not to do but I love the idea of having his stuff in one place so he can pick.

I stole it from Pinterest :) It really has cut our food battles down significantly.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. This is all really helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"