3rd Trimester

Acid Reflux

I get acid reflux every time I eat and when I lay down to go to sleep. Takes FOREVER to get to sleep because of this. What I would like to know is what can I buy that is safe and actually works?

Re: Acid Reflux

• I have reflux and was on prescription prevacid for my entire pregnancy (and a few years before that).  It is a pregnancy category B.  I would suggest asking your OB or midwife about it.  You can get it over the counter, I'm just on a higher dose, hence the prescription.  
  • I took papaya enzyme. You can get it at Whole Foods or the health section at co-ops or something like that. Tastes good and really worked. I also get regular Chiropractic adjustments and mentioned it to my Chiro and she adjusted me and it went away!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sitting here in tears because my heartburn/reflux is so bad tonight. It's even up in my jaw and straight through to my back (?!)
    imageimage

• Have you tried milk? My heartburn is mild enough that I can just drink a glass of milk and it helps (also not laying down after eating, too). Prescriptions can be annoying and expensive.

J. Jackson

Feb '14 March Siggy Challenge: Face Slaps

Daisypath - (SVGA)
    Lilypie - (xd4F)
    Lilypie - (jQcs)
  • I'm not looking forward to that! I'm a few weeks away still, but had it really bad with my first. I suffered through it but I know it is safe to take the reflux over the counter meds. I want to say Motrin, and possibly tums. But I can't be sure. Just check with your doc to be sure, but fortunately there is something you can take. GL.
  • I take Zantac twice a day, and supplement with Tums as needed.   I've still been getting a little bit of reflux at night, but I think that's  because I need to eat earlier before bedtime.   Eating ANYTHING within about 2 hours of going to bed has been causing me major problems (even with the zantac and tums).

imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been taking Zantac 150 two times per day. I always take one before I go to bed, if I forget I am up a few hours later with terrible reflux and heartburn. I have also found bread of all things really makes it worse for me!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I was originally under the assumption that milk would help, so I had been drinking a gallon of milk a week to help with the heartburn... then my OB said that dairy can sometimes make it worse.. oops!

I've been taking Zantac 150 in the AM and PM, and it helps, but the Dr. said that OTC prevacid is also an option if it's horrific.

Hope you get some relief!! Just remember, this will all be over soon!! That's my mantra to get me through each day, lol.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take zantac or pepcid ac daily. It's bad every day no matter what I have cut out of my diet. I woke up one night to get sick and I swear the acid burned the back of my thoart. Freaked my out so bad I stayed up for an hour, took another pill and waited for it to calm down to pass back out. I hate taking stuff daily but there is no way around it.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Zantac. My midwife told me OTC Zantac is safe to use and its been a lifesaver...
  • I took Zantac every night with DS1 from about 25 weeks on.  I haven't had to do it with this one yet, but if/when I do, I won't hesitate!
    DS1 ~ BFP - 1/29/10  EDD 10/9/10  Born 9/27/10!
    DS2 ~ BFP - 8/26/13  EDD 5/8/14  Born 5/1/2014!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Tums. Berry flavored. I'm 29 weeks w twins and I've had acid reflux from the beginning, but the last two weeks or so it has been really bad.
  • Also, try not to drink while you are eating.
  • Eat small meals, don't lay down right after eating, prop up with extra pillows when you do lay down and tums helps too :)
  • I had really bad heartburn with my first pregnancy and found tums and Zantac to help.  But this pregnancy I have CraZy reflux - twice I have woken up in the middle of the night with stomach acid in my mouth - so gross, so scary  - and  I am going to ask about Prevacid or something.  Elevating my head and shoulders a little in bed seems to help, too, and like everyone else said, not eating too close to bedtime, etc...

BTW, not all OTCs are safe for heartburn/reflux - prilosec, which I thought was OK, is actually a class C.  You have to check with your doctor.

• Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water works wonders!  Helps me everytime.  And no need to take any drugs.  
  • Thank you, ladies! I'll just be glad when it's all over!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"