May 2014 Moms

Water birth

Ladies! I am looking for information from btdt moms!! Tell me about your water birth. Did you wear anything? Was it gross with the after birth in the water. What did you like best? What would you change? Will you do it again? Any tips? This is baby number 5, but my first all natural in a birthing center and my last baby. I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly truth! TIA

Deejai

Re: Water birth

• I wore a pair of the mesh underwear and a black sports bra. I had to get out of the tub right before pushing due to a blood pressure spike, so I can't talk about the mess. Hoping for a complete water birth this time, so obviously I'll be trying it again. The water was divine. I felt 60% better in the water than out of the water. I took everything off when I got out of the tub and they wrapped me in a warm blanket, which was wonderful.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Honest question- Don't many moms poop during delivery? I can imagine with all the pressure and such that it isn't always completely solid poop, so how does that work in a water birth? Again, just something I've been pondering...
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • They have a little poop net and scoop it out.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • SNOakes said:

Miles2Go said:

They have a little poop net and scoop it out.

Omg, I almost spit out my drink! A human pooper scooper. I picture a little net like you would scoop out a fish from a tank. (I realize this is serious and necessary, just a funny image in my head)
    That's pretty much exactly what it is.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Watch the movie The Backup Plan with Jennifer Lopez. You will laugh your face off.
  • Had a water birth in a hospital.  I'm pretty sure I pooped the entire time I was pushing and a nurse took care of the poop netting.  As for the mess, my eyes were closed pretty much the whole time and we got out of the tub very shortly after delivery and moved to a gurney where I delivered the placenta for a cord blood donation attempt.

I wore a sports bra last time.  This time around I'm having a waterbirth in a birth center and the midwives expect you to be naked.  I no longer have fucks to give about modesty during childbirth now that I know that it is the absolute last thing on your mind during transition.  And afterward you're too busy focusing on the Thing That Just Happened too.
    Professional Thread Killer
  • I just died at work---tears and all. hilarious! But, really, if you are super concerned about floaters in yoru birth tub, you can ask for an enema-not super glamorous but you won't worry about pooping the tub and it can even help accelerate your birth.
  • SNOakes said:

Miles2Go said:

They have a little poop net and scoop it out.

Omg, I almost spit out my drink! A human pooper scooper. I picture a little net like you would scoop out a fish from a tank. (I realize this is serious and necessary, just a funny image in my head)
    Ha, ha. When I worked at a pool in high school as a lifeguard we frequently had to scoop poop out of the pool. Maybe not every week, but about once a month.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I witnessed a water birth. My neice.

SIL only had a sports bra on for delivery. There was a fish net used for a poop scooper. She got out of the tub to deliver the placenta.

FWIW, I deuced when pushing DS out as well (not a water birth). It is *really* common and totally no big deal in the moment. It actually is a way to know you are pushing right.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I have nothing of actual value to add, but anytime I hear "water birth", I think of Creed from The Office.

imagehttps://youtu.be/AJvOuj_CUyY

• OMG, buhahaha!  Interesting questions since I am hoping for a VBAC water birth and never even thought of the poop in the water.  Now I need to ask my midwives if they expect us nekked or not.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I had a home water birth with my second and don't think I'll be doing that again I honestly didn't see a difference in pain and it's just not worth the mess.. You have a really dirty bloody and poopy tub to clean up afterwards.. Obviously you wouldn't have to but whomever is at your birth does and it's not pleasent from what I heard.. I lived in an apartment at the time and the water had to go down my sink yuk.. Plus for the amount of time I was in the tub (about 10mins..yes I'm a super fast pusher it's quite amazing actually I have a 8 minute video of my pushing with 3 minutes of it holding baby no joke) it's not worth the getting it ready filling it up keeping it warm emptying it out sanitizing it and packing it up unless your at a place where someone else does all of this I wouldn't recommend it.. I just wore a looser halter top and undies until I got on the tub which then just the top.. I personally would not go naked but that's me..I will be having a home birth again though I just can't stand the hospitals pushy attitudes to get an epi i prefer all natural births so I can fully function immediately after birth and not be stuck to a bed for hours
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh and I didn't use my bathtub I used a birthing pool that I rented from the midwives
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"