Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Teachers: have you been able to successfully pump at work?

I am a third grade teacher expecting my first baby in May. I do plan to keep teaching in the fall, and strongly desire to breast feed for a year or more. I'm not entirely sure how I will manage to pump enough to keep up my milk supply in my current job. One reason is, I'm not sure yet how often I would need to, in order to mimic the baby's feeding schedule. Is this something that totally varies with each child, or is there an estimate I can use when approaching this with my employer? Baby will be about 3 months old when I start. I would need to be done with the morning feed by about 7, and then there is no recess until 10:40-11:00. Then lunch from 12-12:45 although, I am in a small school with no cafeteria and my kids eat in the room with me for the first 15 minutes, then go out to recess. I then have a half hour free, unless it is my one day to do recess duty, or if it is an indoor recess, which happens a lot in the winter. I have one day a week with no prep time, and the other four days have one prep each afternoon, either sometime between one and two or between two and three. Or school is small enough that I may be able to ask that they schedule this at the same time each day, if that would help keep a better milk supply. I am done at 3:45. We do have a small staff of teachers aides that might possible be able to take over during that recess time or lunch if necessary, but I'm not really sure what my rights are and what I can ask for. I can see pumping at work being a good option for many professions, but I'm just not sure if it will work for a teacher...we barely have time to run to the bathroom, let alone take out 15 minutes a few times a day! Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Re: Teachers: have you been able to successfully pump at work?

• Options
    Yes. It's probably tougher in elementary but I teach middle school and pump during prep, lunch, and right after school before driving home. It's a lot of work, and my supply has still dropped some, but I'm freezing every extra drop I can to keep lo on bm as long as possible.
  • Options
    Are you a part of a union? I would ask what you are entitled to. If there is anyone else on staff who has had a baby in the last few years I would ask what they did. I SAH wih my first so I didn't pump regularly but I hope to with this one. I read that you need to replace every feeding that your baby is missing, which at that point will be about every three hours. It seems like you will get pretty close to that most days. Maybe post this on the breastfeeding board too?
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know at my mom's school at least one teacher is allowed a special break where the assistant principle comes to watch her class so she can go pump. I don't know if you could talk to administration about something like that.
    I teach 2nd grade and my LO is 3.5 months. I currently feed her before we leave for the day, then I pump when I get to school (7ish) then at lunch (11:15ish) and again after the kids have left for the day (3:00ish). According to the sitter LO isually takes 3 4oz bottles during the day and when I pump I get 4 ounces from both sides. It doesn't seem to have affected my supply too drastically as I am still easily able to breastfeed her at home in the evenings and on weekends.
  • Options
    I teach 3rd and at my school, if you're a nursing mom, other teachers will cover your yard duty so you can pump... I pump before school around 7:45, at recess at 10:25, after I eat lunch at 12:20 and then when I get to my Mil's house to pick her up at around 3:30....on rainy days other teachers help out so I can pump....it's working fine so far and if anything my supply gas increased due to double pumping...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you all so much! This is really helpful. Our school is a charter school in its 2nd year, and I don't think there have been any other nursing or pregnant mothers here yet, so no precedent. And I did not realize there was a breastfeeding board...I am new here and looked around but didn't see it. Thanks!
  • Options
    You should XP on breastfeeding board! Also, get a hands-free setup and u can pump in car on way to work.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I teach kindergarten and I went back to work at the beginning of Dec.  I had an oversupply before I went back to work so I have not had a drop in supply yet.  But we will see since over the holiday break it does not seem like I am producing as much.  I feed him in the morning around 6:00.  Then I pump at 11:30 which is my kids' recess time.  Then I pump right after they leave at 2:30.  Usually he would eat more times than that but that is all the times I can pump.  I still breastfeed when I am home.  
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    I teach elementary school and have been back to work for a month. I went back when my son was 3 months.  By law, your school has to give you time to pump. If that means someone covering your class while you go somewhere to pump then they have to do it.
    see link:
    https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

Personally, I pump before school (6:00am), in the morning with coverage (8:30am), during my specials (12:30pm), and after school (3pm).  I will say it makes the day very hectic.  I drop them off at specials rush back to my room, pee, lock the door, and by the time I set up, pump, and clean up my break is done.  I find it very hard to get planning done.  I have started making units so I can do a more copy and paste lesson plan mode instead of planning weekly.  I bring a soft cooler with three ice packs with me to school along with my pump and cover.  The cooler keeps my milk cold until I get home, so I don't have to use the school frig.  It is possible and your principal has to make it possible. You should be fine.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    J&Jaggies06J&Jaggies06 member
    edited January 2014
    Also a 3rd grade teacher. I pump right before school (7:15)l, as close to the bell as possible and during my lunch around noon. I usually get enough from those two sessions but if I don't I pump once more right after school. It has actually worked better than I thought it would. I was also very nervous. My state is not required to provide time only a location so I have to work it into my scheduled times without my class and usually grade papers or do other paper work while pumping.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    Just to give you another example to go by... They have to (by law) provide time and place to pump. I pump before I leave home after I've fed the baby. I then pump again upon my arrival at school. 8:00 I pump again while I eat lunch (get a la leche league hands free nursing bra) 11:00 I pump again on planning. 2:15 Leave at 3:45. Nurse when I get home, pump if I need to. Mondays and Tuesdays I don't get as much milk, but weekend milk supplements. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    Yes, I teach high school so I am not sure how the schedules differ but I have two off periods during the day and pump during those as well as before/after school. Here is my basic pumping schedule:
    1st session: ~6:55am ( I nurse at 5:30 so I don't get too much at this session)
    2nd session: ~9:45
    3rd session: this one varies since sometimes I sub but between my planning period and lunch I am off from 11:20-12:45 so somewhere in there
    4th session: either 2:45 or 3:20 depending on whether I have after school tutoring

My LO eats around 12-16 oz while at DC and I have managed to pump enough for the next day and put over 300 oz in the freezer (I just started building my stash when I returned the 2nd week of October). Anyway, GL!
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Options
    I teach high school and I have found that my body adjusted to the pump schedule fairly quickly. I went back at two months. I pump in the morning at 5:15am, nurse at 6:00am, pump in the car on the way from daycare to work at 7:20am, then I teach from 8-1pm straight. I pump at 1:10pm and then at 3:30pm.

When I am consistent, I get 16-20oz a day from pumping. My LO usually only eats 12oz while he's at daycare, so it works well. I nurse when at home, except for a middle of the night bottle when my husband gets up to feed LO.

Good luck! I think schools are usually pretty willing (or required) to accommodate moms.
  • Options
    Yes! And it's been working out great! I made this YouTube video that you may find helpful when you are ready to go back:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpVJ6Wqnyhk&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

I hope u find it helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"