February 2014 Moms
Options

XP: Talk to me about changing table safety straps (please)...

We're working on setting up our changing table, and maybe I'm overthinking this... but the safety restraint straps have me all confused.  We have the Larkin dresser & changing topper from PBK, and the wooden topper has a restraint strap, as does the changing pad. It doesn't look like the first strap attaches to the pad and wouldn't be long enough to work over the pad. The pad's strap would be fine, but it would really just attach the baby to the pad vs. the baby & pad to the actual piece of furniture - which seems inherently safer.  (Checked the instructions that came with the thing, and all it showed me was how to use the buckle - gee thanks PBK!) 

After taking to google, it looks like some advocate not using the strap at all, so I was hoping to get an idea of how some of you handle it.  Do you use the strap(s)? If so, does your strap attach the baby just to the pad, or to the actual furniture? 

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Talk to me about changing table safety straps (please)...

• Options
    We do not use the straps but we also do not ever leave the baby on the changing table. I always kept one hand on ds' s belly and the other hand reached for diapers and wipes.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Our changing table didn't have straps but the changing pad did. I cut them off. They just get in the way. I would never even strap them around my baby and walk away it wouldn't be safe. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If u strap the baby to the pad the baby and pad could go off the table together... just like not strapping lo down at all. I think it boils down to common sense... for example, bumbo seats. Parents put their children in the seats on counters and tables, turned their backs, and wanted to sue the company bc their child wiggled and fell to the floor.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

ditto everyone else. never used the straps but also never took my hand off the baby when changing him.

• Options
    DH just brought this up randomly yesterday. Neither of us has ever once used the straps. They are pointless, but probably there for the same dumb reason that the newer Bumbos have a strap (as pp referred to).

You keep a hand on LO at all times on the changing table.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    Yup. You don't use the straps - you just keep one hand on the baby at ALL times. You never know when they are going to first roll over.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    Sounds good to me - thanks, ladies!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Nope never used the straps with DS, in fact we cut them off because they were in the way.  Keep your hand on the baby at all times and you will be fine.
  • Options
    We just have a changing pad on top of the dresser. I put a piece of foam shelf liner under it to keep it from sliding but honestly that is probably uneccesary. Like others said, you never leave baby unattended so we never really used the straps. Once baby got real wiggly, we started changing diapers on the floor anyway.

• Options

I am an extremist: I think the straps should be outlawed so as not to provide a false sense of security.
    Like others have said, never, ever, ever remove more than one hand from the baby. You never know what day they'll learn to roll etc. Make your change area functional, and carry around a naked poopy baby if you have to. No out of reach item is worth that fall.

I agree with the "false sense of security" --- bc, really, we are all agreeing that these straps are pointless. I am a FTM, so I was definitely raising an eyebrow when looking at pictures of changing pads, like, "What's the point of that?" I agree with PPs re: the one hand rule --- that's what I've always heard.

Good job on putting everything together in the nursery, @jenna5595!
  • Options
    We just got our changing pad yesterday and had the same problem- my husband was like why are there so many freaking straps? We just decided we wouldn't use any of them and it sounds like that is the general consensus of everyone ha ha

• Options
    I never used the straps but for some reason never cut them off. Sometimes i would try to shove them under the pad and ended up scratching the dresser/changing table. Definitely cutting them this time!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We never used the straps either.

• Options
    dunvilles said:
    We do not use the straps but we also do not ever leave the baby on the changing table. I always kept one hand on ds' s belly and the other hand reached for diapers and wipes.
    Same.  I've never used the straps.  Once DD got super squirmy, we also moved the changing pad to the ground and just change her there now.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    I very well may be wrong, but i was just under the impression that the one that comes with the furniture os only there for if u use the cheap pad that comes with itt, if u use a changing pad u can just use the buckle that comes with the pad. Baby wont fall off the table if it has the safety bars
  • Options
    I think u took me wrong, i meant that u dont need to use the straps from the furniture and the pad, just the pad if u are using that. I meant to say the bars are there to keep the pad on, so u dont need to use those straps :)
  • Options
    mo1484 said:

I think u took me wrong, i meant that u dont need to use the straps from the furniture and the pad, just the pad if u are using that. I meant to say the bars are there to keep the pad on, so u dont need to use those straps :)

The run-on sentences, poor grammar, and text speak make it really hard to understand what you're saying.

The straps and bars will not prevent a fall. Even if you use them, you must keep a hand on baby.

image image
  • Options
    Yes, i believe her question was just asking if it neccessary to use both the straps on the pad, as well the straps on the furniture. I was just basically saying you only need to use the pad straps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"