Georgia Babies

Feedback on Atlanta hypnobabies/doula

Hi Atlanta moms and moms-to-be,

I'm looking into signing up for the Gentle Journey Birthing hypnobabies class: https://gentlejourneysbirthing.com/. Has anyone attended these classes or used the instructor, Stephanie Banguilan, as their doula? 

Any other intown Atlanta doulas you'd recommend? If we end up liking hypnobabies, I would like a doula who is trained in that method but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
Kim

Re: Feedback on Atlanta hypnobabies/doula

• My friend Jenny Bennett is a hypnobabies instructor and a doula. She's in East Point but serves all over Atlanta. https://expectingthebestbirth.com/

She was my sister's doula and is an amazing gal.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I took the hypnobabies class with Stephanie - we enjoyed it and the instructor.  You *really* have to dedicate yourself to it and it's not perfect, but I still use some of the techniques for relaxation 2 years after the class.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks Myrall - I looked at Jenny Bennett's services but her classes were farther away which is why I'm looking at going to Decatur with Stephanie.

Shacadu, thanks for sharing your experience with Stephanie. I am also hoping I can parlay the techniques into other areas of my life. Did you use your hypnobabies training during your birth? How much did it help you?
  • Kim, 

I did use the the techniques, but I wasn't totally successful.  You really have to believe in it, and I found that hard at times - the idea of a painless comfortable childbirth was just something I couldn't totally wrap my head around!  I listened to some of the tracks when I was in labor, particularly on the car ride to the hospital and at times when I had to be lying down attached to the monitor and it really helped me relax and deal with the pain.  I had a hard time focusing/relaxing without listening to the tracks (I think I listened to the deepening hypnosis track and not the birthing one) - ideally a person can do it without listening but that's what I needed to do to make it work better for me.  

I'm expecting a second and due in a little less than a month (!!) - I'm planning on using the hypnobabies techniques, and I'm also getting a doula.  The doula I'm using is familiar with hypnobabies but isn't certified in it, but that's ok with me.  I didn't have a doula with my first so I think a combo of both will be really helpful.  

I hope this helps... let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask about. 

• Thank you Shacadu, that's very helpful feedback. And congrats on your second pregnancy - exciting! And also positive to hear that you will use the hypnobabies techniques again. I'm also planning to get a doula as I've heard how helpful they have been to friends so, I am hoping the same as you that the combo will be a good one!

All the best to you! :)
  • Kelly of Bright Birth was my Hypnobirthing class instructor and doula. She is awesome! Her calm and down to earth approach combined with her medical background helped me stick with my birth plan of laboring at home and she was awesome dealing with the hospital staff. I would hire her again! Here's a my birth story if you're interested.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • Kelly of Bright Birth was my Hypnobirthing class instructor and doula. She is awesome! Her calm and down to earth approach combined with her medical background helped me stick with my birth plan of laboring at home and she was awesome dealing with the hospital staff. I would hire her again! Here's a my birth story if you're interested.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"