Two Under 2

best vehicles for 3 car seats

I know this has to be a repeat topic and I'm sorry! I tried to search, but kept coming up with threads recommending which seats to fit into specific vehicles and recommendations for fitting 3 across. I already know I can fit 2 radians and 1 snugride across in the vehicles we have, but I'm looking to buy a new one and I'd like to buy one to accommodate 7 passengers.

I'd like to avoid a minivan, but I'm falling in love with the practicality (DH does not want one, though). What SUVs are recommended for *comfortably* getting 3 car seats in and getting 3 small children in and out? I've read a lot of reviews that say the Toyota Highlander is not a good idea with 3 carseats and it was my top contender for a while. Any other suggestions? 

Married 3.14.09
DS born 8.20.10
MC 7.11.11
DD born 5.24.12
#3 EDD 4.02.14

Re: best vehicles for 3 car seats

• Don't get a Durango.  I have a 2012 Durango and wish I wasn't so hung up on not wanting to be a mini van mom last year when I bought it.  We went to Disney last month and rented a mini van....so much easier....so kicking myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know a few people that have 3 across in a Pilot.  I think we are going minivan (we have 3 across in a CRV now).
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Go test drive a minivan. That's all it will take. We were residtant to a minivan but test drove the Odyssey and Sienna and wound up buying the Odyssey. Soooooo glad we did. The new one even has a vacuum cleaner! I told my husband to embrace these years and that one day he could get the car he really wants but for the years when we have small children and later bigger kids who will need to be driven everywhere, that a minivan makes the most sense. Thankfully, he bought that line and got on board for the minivan.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • I've never understood the minivan hate. We're buying one before #3 is born and I am so excited. Probably too excited :P 

If you are really against a minivan, I've heard that the Chevy Traverse is good for 3 across.  
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, guys! I think we'll end up with a minivan. I actually have some mad love for the Sienna and Odyssey as of late... it's convincing DH that will be my issue. We have several months yet before #3 gets here so we'll probably go test driving and looking around in the next couple of months. Thanks! 

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • I have a Toyota sienna and love it! So much storage room, and you won't find power sliding doors on an SUV. Something to keep in mind that I wish I had known about is the number of latch and tether positions in the vehicle. I believe the odyssey has 6, sienna only has 3. Check out "the car seat lady" on Facebook, she had tons of info on this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • twister22twister22 member
    edited December 2013
    We have the Honda Odyssey and love, love, LOVE it. DH will need a bigger vehicle now that we have #3 on the way, but I know he doesn't want van either.

I'll have to look into the Chevy Traverse, and I look forward to seeing if anyone else has any other suggestions for non-van vehicles.
  • Dodge journey can have a third row, my mom has one and love it. We just bought our first minivan and I have to say, it's pretty awesome :)
  • We have a minivan. I was not sold on the idea initially but, holy crap, do I love having one now. I love being able to have all the doors open with a push of a button as I very rarely have a free hand. Ours also has stow-and-go so we can fit so much crap in there. It gets awesome gas mileage, too. I'm really looking forward to not having to worry about car doors when trying to manuever a rear facing infant seat in and out of the vehicle this time. My favorite feature is that it functions as a containment device for my kids; I can unbuckle my oldest, have her stay in the vehicle while unbuckling my youngest, and get them both out the same side rather than having my 3 year old running away from me in the parking lot.

I honestly love my van so much that I'm not sure I could ever go back to driving an SUV, at least not until all of our kids are older.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We LOVE our Suburban...wouldnt trade it for anything!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • theoventheoven member
    edited January 2014
    The Diono car seats are made for 3 across in a van or an SUV. Check out that car seat first and you may not even have to buy a new car. They can be used front or rear facing.
  • Getting an enclave before baby #3 arrives. We have pilot right now but am looking for captains chairs instead...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"