March 2013 Moms

Have we discussed birthday plans yet?

At first I was thinking that we weren't going to do anything (I know, lame). Our apartment is very small, in a very urban crowded area of the city for parking.

We like to go somewhere for our birthdays instead of gifts for each other so we are still planning a camping trip on the weekend.

But now I'm thinking we might host a small celebration just for family. It would be after lunch but before dinner. I would make some light snacks, maybe some cookies, but I don't think that we'll do cake.

Mostly the party will be a photo op and get together for family. I want to make decorations and party favors. Hopefully it will be warm enough to host it outside at the park across the street and I won't have to clean my apt. :D

Are you gals planning on going all out? Anyone else keeping it low key? Anyone else not doing cake but doing a party? Themes? Making Decor? Party favors?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Have we discussed birthday plans yet?

• Big bash here. We have to rent a hall due to our large family. We are doing a cupcake cake and he will get his own smash cake. I'm so excited to start planning...dh said I had to wait until after today haha. We are doing a dinosaur theme! I will be making all of the decorations and favors.
  • We are definitely doing one. We are doing an owl theme but mostly the colors- teal, gray and purple With only a few owls.
    We are doing cupcakes I think and she will get a cupcake. We are having the hardest time with cake and food. She has food allergies so we keep going back and forth between making everything at the party even if its not intended for her- allergy free.

***Also FYI- my sister is starting an etsy shop and is making a lot of invites for some of the girls on one of the Facebook groups. If anyone is interested let me know! She is charging $10 for invites and $5 each for thank you, banner, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Medium-sized party at our house. Hopefully it will have warmed up by then like last year - we're doing it in the back yard. I made a pinterest board for ideas on Christmas afternoon while everyone else was napping. DH thinks I'm crazy for starting so early, but I work full time an hour away from home, so if I don't start now, I'll be really stressed out later. I settled on a knight theme and did the invite and decor templates at work the beginning of this week while we were slow. I found a lot of cute stuff on etsy and oriental trading co (cupcake tower shaped as a castle - waaaay too excited over this thing - that's how the whole theme came about). Definitely having a small smash cake. I've got a cricut machine, so my bff and I usually make everything for the kid's parties. You'd be surprised how much you can do with a few rolls of streamers and some scrapbook supplies!!

I say do what's best for you. Camping would be a great tradition to start, then as they get older, keep it at home and turn it into tents in the backyard (or living room). We have a ton of family, but we decided to keep it to the grandparents and our friends with kiddos.
  • We are doing a small party at the house since we had an expensive christening party..3k was spent. We will do 1 yr. Birthday pics at picture people with a smash cake. I am thinking of doing a Little Man themed party with the colors baby blue, white, black and grey and mustaches lol. My son will wear suspenders with a newspaper boy hat. I'm going to make decorations and either make invites or get then through tinyprints. Thinking of doing a hotdog station, chicken fingers, etc.
  • kk1160 said:
    Medium-sized party at our house. Hopefully it will have warmed up by then like last year - we're doing it in the back yard. I made a pinterest board for ideas on Christmas afternoon while everyone else was napping. DH thinks I'm crazy for starting so early, but I work full time an hour away from home, so if I don't start now, I'll be really stressed out later. I settled on a knight theme and did the invite and decor templates at work the beginning of this week while we were slow. I found a lot of cute stuff on etsy and oriental trading co (cupcake tower shaped as a castle - waaaay too excited over this thing - that's how the whole theme came about). Definitely having a small smash cake. I've got a cricut machine, so my bff and I usually make everything for the kid's parties. You'd be surprised how much you can do with a few rolls of streamers and some scrapbook supplies!!

I say do what's best for you. Camping would be a great tradition to start, then as they get older, keep it at home and turn it into tents in the backyard (or living room). We have a ton of family, but we decided to keep it to the grandparents and our friends with kiddos.
    I hear ya on the planning early thing obvs! I didn't get all that I wanted to get done for Christmas so I learned my lesson.

DH's birthday is a week and a half before DD's. We thought that the three of us might go camping the weekend before DD's birthday. Then on her birthday throw a small afternoon get together.

We might actually have to do it in the evening since it is a weekday? Or the afternoon on the following Saturday? Still undecided...

I plan my birthday at least two months in advance. I always try to do the same for DH but he is so go with the flow that I can never get anything together for him until the last minute. I'm all, "Would you like to do something on your birthday?" He's all, "Yes!" and then me, "What would you like to do?" Him, "I dunno..." and this is every time I ask until the day of or the day before.

One time I planned a surprise party and it was awesome! Maybe I should just do that every year...
  • I was just thinking today that it's time to start planning!! DD's birthday is 3/3, and I'm trying to decide if her party will be the weekend before or the weekend after her birthday (her actual birthday is on a Monday).  I originally wanted to wait until the weekend after so that I can finish up some of the projects and use them for the party (I do a monthly photo, and a weekly photo every Sunday, wanted to have the full year's worth and maybe make a book of them).  But, we are going out of town probably the Sunday after her party, so not sure if I really want to have a party and then go out of town the next day.  I can't decide!  I am still trying to settle on the theme too... 
  • I was just thinking today that it's time to start planning!! DD's birthday is 3/3, and I'm trying to decide if her party will be the weekend before or the weekend after her birthday (her actual birthday is on a Monday).  I originally wanted to wait until the weekend after so that I can finish up some of the projects and use them for the party (I do a monthly photo, and a weekly photo every Sunday, wanted to have the full year's worth and maybe make a book of them).  But, we are going out of town probably the Sunday after her party, so not sure if I really want to have a party and then go out of town the next day.  I can't decide!  I am still trying to settle on the theme too... 

Mrs. G- I just want to say I LOVE that you have done a weekly photo! I wish I would have done that. I have decided I am going to do her monthly photo every month though (beyond when I run out of the stickers).

I'm thinking a small cake/lunch party for us. I am tempted to have a St. Patty's themed party but will probably make it for the week after her birthday.
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • thanks... it has been a pain in the ass, I won't lie, but I'm glad I've done it I can't wait to see them all together :)
  • I do a monthly photo, and a weekly photo every Sunday, wanted to have the full year's worth and maybe make a book of them
    SUPER MOM POINTS FOR YOU!!! We only did monthly. That's going to be so awesome to see!!
  • I was thinking about some sort of "year in pictures" photo book or colage for a party favor. I'm still brainstorming on what would be practical and fun...

@MrsG071809 did you have a similar idea?
  • Just started planning. Small to medium party at out apartment complex clubhouse, so that'll make things easier. It's going to be a travel theme cause this year is shaping up to have a lot of trips for us.
  • I just started planning DS birthday party.  His b-day is 3/12.  We are going to have it at Gymboree.  That way he and the other babies will have lots of fun and we don't have to worry too much about anyone getting hurt.  Also, they do ALL of the clean up!!  So excited about that part.  I'm not sure about themes yet.  I got the Oriental Trading Co. catalog and they have some cute themes.  I am starting to get so excited about his party but sad to know that he will no longer be a baby but a toddler instead. :(

;

• We're having our LO's bday at a hall too (too much family to put under one roof comfortably). It's going to be a farm theme and I'm trying to convince my FIL to drive one of his antique tractors over to reeeeeallly make it authentic.
  • @SidraJedi I hadn't thought about it for a party favor, that's a cute idea!  I was thinking more along the lines of decor.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"