Birthing Method — The Bump
VBAC

Birthing Method

Is there anyone here that did not take a birthing class for their first pregnancy, but did for their 2nd hoping for a VBAC? We were not able to get into a class for our first because they were full, but ended up having a csection due to baby's estimated size. Obviously knowing a bit more now I would have waited a lil longer before allowing a csection. So now I am pregnant with baby #2 and classes for the Bradley Birthing Method start next week, but my husband is hesitant because they are a bit pricey and he I guess he isn't as positive thinking about this one ending in a VBAC as I am. I have a doctor not a midwife, but his practice is the only one in my area that is pro-vbacs and with having had a previouse csection the idea of a home birth (we are a ways from the nearest hospital) or at a birthing center if something went wrong scares me. 
So I guess what I am asking for those who have either had a natural childbirth or vbac did you take the classes? which method? was it worth it? Or did you wing it and if so would you recommend classes? 
The method I've been looking at is the Bradley Birthing Method. 
Thanks in Advance! Your advice and thoughts are much appreciated especially since I am not feeling very supported right now. 
October Siggy Challenge: Halloween
DH and I at a Halloween Party in 2010 when we were preggers with DD
Linus & The Great Pumpkin

IAmPregnant Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Birthing Method

• With my first, I had signed up for free Lamaze classes throughout the hospital. I was sick and missed the first two classes and never went. Dd was breech, so I never "labored" with her, ( unless you count the 5 weeks of prodromal labor that got me to 6 cm, all for nothing....) I didn't have a lot of time between dd and work and other commitments for classes with DS. I did end up getting an epi. Which I didn't initially want, but that was more because the oncall doctor was scaring me, I felt she was pushing for csection due to my lack of progress with the pitocin, I had PROM. But I wanted to be prepared for possible csection, since they never got my spinal in properly with dd. But otherwise, my nurse was extremely helpful with pain reducing techniques, and she let me push guided by my body.
  • Thank you!
    October Siggy Challenge: Halloween
    DH and I at a Halloween Party in 2010 when we were preggers with DD
    Linus & The Great Pumpkin

IAmPregnant Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

holly321
  • Loading the player...
  • I took the childbirth class offered by my hospital.  They neglected to mention that it wasn't a natural childbirth class.  It was just videos of women giving birth and information about birth.  I was 35 weeks when I took the class and found this out.  That night I went home and researched natural child birth classes.  The closet one was 40 minutes away and it was too late for me to take it.  I partially contribute my c-section to not having any information or knowledge on how to cope with the pain.  If we have another child I would like to take a hypnobirthing class (recommended to me by the ICAN group I belong to).  They have a home study option which I might do since I don't have a lot of options for care for DS while DH and I are at a class.  There is also the issue that DH's work schedule may not allow him to attend.  
  • I took Bradley the first time and it is a big time commitment, as well as an investment. Overall, I found the class helpful but a lot of it is spent on education re interventions during labor and training you to decline them. Only a small portion of the class is spent on actual coping techniques, which if you're going for a natural birth I think are really important. I had a supportive provider who didn't offer most of the stuff Bradley trains you to avoid, so at least half the course material was moot for me. If you have a provider who you might have an uphill battle with, then it's probably worthwhile. If not, then maybe look at hypnobirthing - it's about the same price but only 5 weeks - focused mostly on coping techniques. That's what I'm taking this time. 

As VBAC hopefuls, I think we have a better appreciation for the fact that sometimes interventions are needed and not all Bradley instructors seem to accept that, so I prefer a class that focuses on relaxing and getting your body to do the work regardless how your baby ends up needing to enter the world. Hypnobirthing certainly has a preference for natural birth but also really focuses on staying calm and relaxed even if you need to be induced or have something else. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    ejb23
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards