Austin Babies
Options

preservative-free flu shot in Austin

I apologize if this has been covered a million times already on this board, but I'm too lazy to read past the first couple of pages of posts.Where in Austin/San Marcos is the preservative-free (thimerisol-free) version of the seasonal flu shot being offered? I won't even ask about the H1N1 shot yet--I've called everywhere and no one knows what the gov will be sending until it arrives, so I'll deal with that one later. For now I just need the regular shot--my OB isn't even getting it in the obstetric version. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm not chances...

Re: preservative-free flu shot in Austin

• Options

I got one at CVS. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I heard that they have them at Walgreens, but I did not ask myself. Just heard it secondhand.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrssnflwr:

I got one at CVS. 

Which CVS? I called one and they said they didn't have it and didn't think the other ones had it either. 

• Options
    Slaughter & Brodie
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagegotchagomo:
    I apologize if this has been covered a million times already on this board, but I'm too lazy to read past the first couple of pages of posts.Where in Austin/San Marcos is the preservative-free (thimerisol-free) version of the seasonal flu shot being offered? I won't even ask about the H1N1 shot yet--I've called everywhere and no one knows what the gov will be sending until it arrives, so I'll deal with that one later. For now I just need the regular shot--my OB isn't even getting it in the obstetric version. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm not chances...

I don't understand what you mean by "obstetric version."  Is this just a preservative-free flu shot?  

I know that my physician clinic (ARC) I could get the thimerosal-free vaccine if I requested it. Have you tried calling a location near you?  Also, a single-dose, thimerosal free version of the H1N1 vaccine is being produced, in case you want to get that one, too.

ETA: Never mind. ARC has depleted their entire supply of the seasonal flu vaccine and only has vaccines for children 6 mos - 36 mos old.

• Options
    I got a preservative free shot yesterday at the Walgreen's on the corner of Charles Austin and Hopkins in San Marcos.  It is $5 more than the regular shot.
  • Options
    imagemrssnflwr:

I got one at CVS. 

Dittto.

• Options

imagebtrrcupbride:
    I got a preservative free shot yesterday at the Walgreen's on the corner of Charles Austin and Hopkins in San Marcos.  It is $5 more than the regular shot.

This is perfect! Thanks! I'll be in San Marcos tomorrow! 

• Options
    imageMrsAJL:

imagegotchagomo:

I don't understand what you mean by "obstetric version."  Is this just a preservative-free flu shot?  

I know that my physician clinic (ARC) I could get the thimerosal-free vaccine if I requested it. Have you tried calling a location near you?  Also, a single-dose, thimerosal free version of the H1N1 vaccine is being produced, in case you want to get that one, too.

ETA: Never mind. ARC has depleted their entire supply of the seasonal flu vaccine and only has vaccines for children 6 mos - 36 mos old.

FYI: The health department calls the thimerisol free version the "obstetric version"--they told me that is the correct way to ask for it when I call around.

• Options
    I just heard someone mention a preservative-free flu shot. What exactly does that mean? For adults? For kids? What's the benefit/difference?
  • Options
    It just means it doesn't have thimerosal in it, so it is mercury free.  Some people believe the vaccines with thimerosol in them can cause autism, which has not been proven.  I believe the shots for younger kiddos are all preservative free.  (When I asked, they told me the flu shot they gave my 2 yo was preservative free).
  • Options
    I've never got a flu shot in my life but now that I am pregnant I am thinking about it. What are the side effects? my ob is out of town but my niece is home sick with flu symptoms so I might just go ahead and get one.
  • Options
    I got the regular (with thimerosal) flu shot...I asked the pharmacist for the "preservative free" and she said unless I'm allergic to eggs, I can get the regular one even if preggo. After the fact, I freaked out because of thimerosal, but since got over it since it's just a trace and likely won't affect the fetus at all. I got it during the gov shutdown b/c I was worried that they might run out, so I got it in my first trimester at 6 weeks. Now that there is a crazy flu outbreak, I am definitively glad that I got it. Plus CDC says regular flu shot is safe for preggo women in any trimester so I stopped worrying lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"