Attachment Parenting

sad about solids

LO will be 6 months in February. When she is ready at that time we will be starting some solids. I know EBF will be her nutrition source, and food is for fun...but I am still anxious and sad about the idea of her starting solids. I know she is growing strong and well, and that makes me happy...but I love nursing and having that relationship with her.

Are these normal feelings? Anything I can do to help them feel less sad for a normal part of life?
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List

Re: sad about solids

• I was a bit sad to start solids at 6.5 months and I think I actually should have listened to myself. She wasn't actually ready for solids until 8.5 months. She would take a couple bites and that was it. Then suddenly, around 8.5 months, she'd eat several ounces in a sitting. Now it seems obvious that she simply wasn't interested until then.
  • I understand this. We BF at night and FF during the day, and I feel a little sad that we will be transitioning DD from daytime formula to cows milk over the next couple months. Not sad because formula is so wonderful, but because she is changing from an infant to a toddler before my eyes.
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally understand! We started solids this morning. LO will be 6 months next week, but we wanted to start while DH was home on vacation so he could participate. He was totally ready and excited, which made me want to cry! I definitely stopped feeding him sooner than he wanted so that I could nurse him pretty much right away. I needed to make sure he was still interested in BFing for my own sanity!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I felt similarly. For me it was like I was "tainting" my perfect EBF baby lol. Obviously that's not true, but it kind of felt like it since he had only ever had BM.

I quickly got over that once I saw how fun it was to watch him eat! We do BLW and it's so messy and fun. :)
  • These feelings are totally normal! Your baby is growing! It's wonderful and exciting but also her increasing independence is hard on mamas. :) Solids are super fun, but mama snuggles and milk will be first in her heart for a long time coming!
    imageimage
  • Of course it is normal. That is why I have been EBF for 9 months now. I kust now started giving him solids. It is not a necessity to give him/her solids so do what your heart tells you not the pediatricians or friends and family! Good luck
  • Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited December 2013

Of course it is normal. That is why I have been EBF for 9 months now. I kust now started giving him solids. It is not a necessity to give him/her solids so do what your heart tells you not the pediatricians or friends and family! Good luck

Um...I will disagree with this. It is important to expose babies to different tastes and textures after 6mo so they can adjust to eating real food.  Denying them that exposure for selfish reasons is not a good idea.  Sometimes it takes babies longer to really be interested in foods, but it's good to start exposing them after 6 months.

------------------------------------
    This is very close to the usual recommendation. Babies can receive just breastmilk for the first year of life without any harm, but solids can provide excellent practice and fine motor development, so they're extremely beneficial when started at an appropriate age.

That age is not 6 months for all babies. It's recommended to watch babies for signs of digestive maturity and general physiological readiness for solids introduction. These include improved pincer grasp, sitting up unassisted, loss of tongue-thrust reflex, interest in food, and sometimes teeth. Some babies are ready for solids at 6 months, and others aren't ready until 7 or 8.
    imageimage
  • I felt similarly. For me it was like I was "tainting" my perfect EBF baby lol. Obviously that's not true, but it kind of felt like it since he had only ever had BM.

I quickly got over that once I saw how fun it was to watch him eat! We do BLW and it's so messy and fun. :)

Ah! This is how I felt, too. But watching her cram broccoli into her face like it's the best thing she's ever tasted is pretty great, too ;-)

• Of course it is normal. That is why I have been EBF for 9 months now. I kust now started giving him solids. It is not a necessity to give him/her solids so do what your heart tells you not the pediatricians or friends and family! Good luck

Um...I will disagree with this. It is important to expose babies to different tastes and textures after 6mo so they can adjust to eating real food.  Denying them that exposure for selfish reasons is not a good idea.  Sometimes it takes babies longer to really be interested in foods, but it's good to start exposing them after 6 months.

What is so selfish about EB? I let LO try out solids but his digestive system could not handle it at the time. He went days without pooping but when I only gave him BM he was fine and dandy! His growth weight is great and he is happy and content about EB. Each mama knows whats best for her child!
  • I know I'm late coming to this discussion, but I felt the same way. I wasn't ready for it! It was bittersweet. We did BLW starting at 6 months and started with just one meal a day because thinking about doing more with my twins stressed me out. It was fun in its own way, but I understand how you feel!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"