TTC after 35

question about insurance coverage and age over 40...

2ndGeneration2ndGeneration member
edited December 2013 in TTC after 35

I'm baffled.

I made my first appt today with an RE (yea!!!). Gave all my insurance info. Found out tonight from internet research that my state has mandated infertility coverage, but that mandate ends at age 40-and I"m 42. But ins. companies CAN cover past that age. Then found out that since I have federal insurance (fed employee benefits) that state mandates don't apply to me? Is that good or bad ?

My insurance co website of course says NOTHING about this and they're closed for the night...sigh...

Do any of you ladies have experience dealing with this? I'm new to the world of RE's and stuff.

Re: question about insurance coverage and age over 40...

• Mrs.McIrishMrs.McIrish member
    edited December 2013
    There are lots of loopholes with insurance even in states with mandated coverage so you may have a tough time. If you work for the government, they don't have to follow the state mandate because they are federal. Self insured companies don't have to offer insurance in mandate states and companies that are headquartered in another state can avoid it too. I know Happywifemomofone got some coverage though as a fed employee and she's 43 and used DE. I think she had to switch to an HMO to get it (which is odd since usually a PPO covers more in my experience). I think you need to wait and call. Every plan, employer and state mandate is different so I don't think anyone can here can tell you yes or no. One thing that I always ran into was that they will have Cd3 FSH tests that you have to pass. I got cut off at 40 because I can't pass the tests. They no longer consider me "infertile" and classify it as age-related naturally occurring infertilty.. I was considered premature ovarian failure when I couldn't pass the test in my 30s and they paid.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Oh, that's good that they might cover testing-that's really what my appt is for, to find out where I'm at and get an idea of what, if anything, do to. They have covered everything to date (the rpl and stuff). I have bcbs Basic. If you have a link, that would be awesome-my agency is not so great on the hr side lol.

I was just so suprised to see that my state had a law but that it only applied to age 40. That just seems very arbitrary. 

@Mrs.McIrish , looking at your siggy seems like a big day is in a few weeks! best of luck!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • THANK YOU!!! That helped a lot-I hadn't been able to find the book online like that. It does seem like the testing is covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"