High-Risk Pregnancy

Advice please- very worried

Hello, 
I need some help. I am well aware things can be much worst, but I need some reassurance. 

I went mid Dec and they found protein in my urine. It was a two. I did the 24 hour pee collection and blood work and it all came back ok. The doc did give me antibiotics for a possible UTI which I took for seven days. Today I went back in and my protein was one and I had high glucose and I had a blood pressure of 134over 84. 

They took more blood and I will do a 24 hour urine collection again. I feel overall ok. I do have a small headache today, but I think it is from worrying. Can you share your experiences with pre E? Thanks I am worried. I know if she is born now, she will most likely be fine, I am just worried she will be small. 

Thanks in advance. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Advice please- very worried

• I had a moderately high reading on my 24 hr urine test, and BPs that have been in the 130s/80s range, but I've had no other symptoms so they just monitor me and the baby closely . You should start worrying if you have changes in vision, upper right abdomen pain, weight gain, headaches, and unusual swelling. Honestly, its the last thing I worry about.
  • My experience: I went in for a doc appointment (routine, but I had been having swelling in my face and hands for a couple days, and some stomach pains that I thought were just from my growing belly) and my blood pressure was high....not even sure exactly what, but I believe it was close to 150/95.  I had gained close to 10 pounds since my last appointment, without changing my diet, mostly from the swelling I think. They sent me to labor and delivery to be monitored, and they did a bunch of tests and determined that yes, it was Pre-E/HELLP syndrome so I had a C-section two ays later, at 34 weeks 6 days.  Our little guy was born weighing 4 lbs. 3 oz. and spent 3 weeks in the NICU to grow and learn to eat. No major complications, luckily - I was given a steroid shot for his lungs in the two days before he was born, which I think helped.  He's doing great now - definitely caught up in the weight department, as he's around 16 or 17 pounds at 9 months actual.  Hopefully your baby stays in a bit longer and you stay healthy.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • tig594tig594 member
    edited December 2013
    I started developing pre-e symptoms around 34 weeks.  I had a c/s scheduled for 37 weeks because I was high risk.  My blood pressure started creeping up slowly towards the end and they did find protein in my urine.  I'm also a type 1 diabetic and have thyroid disease.  I was put on bed rest the last 2 weeks before the c/s was scheduled.  I was also having stress tests (for DD) 2x a week for the last 4 weeks. Made it to delivery with no real issues but my blood pressure wasn't coming down like my OB wanted it too.  I've never had an issue with my blood pressure.  They ended up putting me on BP meds before I left the hospital.  I was on them about 4 months after delivery.  DD was born healthy has a horse.

Good luck!  All you need right now is something else to stress over, right?  : )
  • Thanks ladies. I really appreciate your answers. I am not really sure how I feel anymore. I keep analyzing every symptom I have . I do have a headache today and I did gain some more weight, so I am hoping if she does have to come out, it all works out. Thanks again. Best of luck to all! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was diagnosed and had my daughter at 31w0d due to pre e. No symptoms, just showed up to my appt and my Bp 150/95. What was your protein after your 24 hour collection? Anything under 300 is considered normal. Try to rest and take it easy!
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFetus Ticker}
  • Thank you very much for all the help. I will know more Monday. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is my third pregnancy and third go-around with pre-e. 1st pregnancy I was on bedrest from 26 weeks on and put in the hospital at 33 weeks.  At that point I was given the steroid shots and we had medflight on stand by bc I was hitting the 150/98 mark. We made it to 36w0d. DD1 was born, had no complications other than jaundice and we went home in 5days (I had some post-op complications not related to pre-e). DD1 was 19.5 inches. 5 lbs 8 oz. Scored a 5 and an 8 on her APGARS
    DD2 I was on bedrest at home from 28 weeks on.Bi weekly urine collection. Admitted to  hospital at 35 weeks, more bc of protien levels than bp. Also had a bladder infection and cholestasis. We made it to 39w1d with her. Again, no complications except jaundice and slow eating (But now at 2, i think that was just her picky nature coming through). DD2 was 20 in and 5 lbs 6 oz. Don't remember APGARS
    With this one I was doing ok. One random visit my bp was 148/99. Rested, got it down to 138/88. Sent home on modified bed rest. 24 hr urine had high protein. Severe bladder infection. Now on complete bedrest. Went in today for a NST and BP check. 120/89 and baby is doing fine. I have an apt with high risk next Friday and my regular OB the Friday after that. My goal is 35 weeks since that would significantly reduce or eliminate a NICU stay. 
    At this point, I'm to call on-call if I have cramping, blood or other discharge, and typical pre-e symptoms (swelling, dizziness, vision changes, right quadrant pain) or a reading of 150+/100+ or 160+...110+ individually. 
    All in all I'd relax if I were you, esp considering how far along you are. I know its hard, but it can be done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much for the response. It makes me feel a little better. Best of luck to you! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 130s/80s is fine. You aren't even "pre-hypertensive" until 140/90. I had pre-e with my previous pregnancy. I was induced at 36 weeks with a 165/105 BP and high 24 hour protein levels. My blood pressures were consistently high during my pregnancy after about 20 weeks and my protein slowly crept up each time we checked it. I also had extreme swelling. My face looked like you could take a needle and pop it like a balloon. After 28 weeks the doctors had me getting weekly ultrasounds called biophysical profiles.

This pregnancy I have pre-e and GD. This time my blood pressures are controlled after I stopped working. I wasn't put on bedrest, I just decided to stop work and become a SAHM. For this pregnancy from 20 weeks on they have treated me with the same protocol. At first monthly ultrasounds, periodic urine collections, after 28 weeks I'm getting weekly ultrasounds. Twice during those they have found my fluid levels to be low because of the pre-e and have sent me to L&D. I also have some uterine blood flow issues associated with pre-e but baby has no growth issues. This time after my blood pressure went down I have had virtually no swelling, headaches have went away, but protein is still high.

I do have GD this time, and when my blood sugar gets too high, that is causing me headaches. If your sugar was off that would be my guess why you might have headaches. Because really 130s/80s is not a high blood pressure, or even borderline and it won't be causing you headaches.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much for your response. Best of luck to you! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    edited January 2014
    I was having rising blood pressure (around 31 weeks if I remember correctly), and I had been sent in for monitoring a couple of times for it. My urine dipsticks had always been negative, but after a couple of weeks of higher blood pressure, they did the 24 hr. urine test, which came back positive. After that, I wasn't allowed to work anymore, had to take my blood pressure daily, had to get weekly bloodwork and NST, weekly OB appointments, etc. I ended up being induced just before 36 weeks because my blood pressure spiked, and they were having trouble getting it down. The induction failed, and I had a C section at 36 weeks, 1 day. I now have a healthy seven month old.
  • I've been having problems with my blood pressure lately too. Just did another 24 hour urine and blood work and everything came out fine. But my blood pressure has been increasing every week even though they keep increasing it. I'm currently at 300mg labetalol 3 times a day. I was started on that yesterday after going to the high risk dr and my blood pressure was 158/110. That was an hour after taking 200mg of labetalol. I'm having twice a week BPP done and also found out yesterday that my fluid levels are low.....5.3 or 5.6. Can't remember which. I also have GD. But had that with my first pregnancy and it's been pretty well under control with meds. It's just the blood pressure that is getting out of control. I'm hoping to make it another couple of weeks and trying to slow down some at work. I finally cut down to 3 days a week starting this week because of all the dr appointments. I'm trying to rest more and drink more fluids and hope that will improve things next week.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • Thanks ladies. I am monitored a lot and for now I am ok. No mention on early c section. My BP is ok the last time and my protein has dropped to 1. I hope I can hang on for one more week. 

Thanks again and good luck to all! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"