February 2014 Moms

Birth plan

Who is writing one? What are some of your wishes. I have seen some birthing plan posts on other boards, if we have one on ours i apologize I just haven't seen it. My concern is I don't want to sound like a princess. In nursing school whenever a woman had a birthing plan the nurses would go, "oh yeah she is having a c-section" and kind of laugh unfortunately. I like the idea of having the plan and then also being flexible that things may change and not go according to exactly what I want. My plan is pretty basic, I would like to try for med free and vaginal delivery without pitocin and if need be we make changes. If I need pitocin or a c-section or  decide I want and epi then I need it. 

Re: Birth plan

• Birthing Plan

·        Fyi: Baby’s sex is a surprise. If nurse/doctor knows the sex please refrain from saying what it is. Refer to baby as baby and not he/she/him/her.

·        Student nurses welcome in room as long as they are respectful and quiet during pushing, I want to help with learning process if I can.

·        Please help me achieve a vaginal, med free labor

o   Do not offer pain meds or ask about my pain. My husband will come to the nurses if I would like pain medication.

o   No epidural unless my husband comes to nursing staff

o   No Pitocin or c-section unless last resort/ all other options exhausted or medical emergency. Pitocin preferred over c-section.

o   I would like to labor in various positions, move around a lot and use the tub

o   Saline lock ok

o   Perineal massage preferred over episiotomy

·        Husband to cut umbilical cord

·        Immediate skin to skin contact

·        Breast feeding exclusively- do not feed baby formula.

·        Circumcision for boy

·        We are choosing to vaccinate baby

In event of C-Section:

o   I want to be as alert as possible

o   Husband to announce sex of baby to room

o   If possible, I would like my chest exposed for immediate skin to skin contact and have skin to skin while the doctors are closing me up.

o   Husband wants to cut umbilical cord

• If you need some ideas or options you may not think about, TB has a printable birth plan. There is things on there I didn't know or think about and it's helping me write mine out.
  • Loading the player...
  • My birthing plan:

1. I would prefer not to be induced, not to have pitosin (sp?), and not to have a C-section, if at all possible. If any of those things happen, so be it, but in my perfect world I'd have none of them. 
    2. YES to an epidural!
    3. <---most important: Absolutely NO narcotics whatsoever, due to my alcoholism/addiction. Toredol is totally fine, but anything stronger than that is not okay.

Mainly, I want the baby out as safely as possible. I trust my doctor and he knows my preferences -- so if they have to induce, use pitosin, or do a c/s, I know it's medically necessary. I'm under no weird illusion that I'll be able to plan this whole ordeal!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My hospital's website actually has a link to a form you can fill out with what you want and it saves to their system. It asked about labour partners, meds, atmosphere, activity during labor, skin to skin, breast feeding, and circumcision.
  • THanks for the input. I kinda just started jotting stuff down randomly that came to my mind. I'm still on the fence as far as the whole written plan thing. 
  • DH and I have talked about our desires, and he knows that he has to advocate for me when I'm not able to. He knows that I want to labor to a certain point before I get an epidural, we don't want to use other pain meds, and our hospital defaults to skin-to-skin with early breastfeeding, so we're good there.
    Me: 25 DH: 26 First-time Mom EDD 2/2/2014

From May 18, 2013
  • Meghan14Meghan14 member
    edited January 2014
    I was going to post about this a few days ago.  I had taken several "checklist" ones I saw online and put them in word to make it easy to edit.  I wanted to share, but I couldn't upload it :(

At the top I put overview and filled in: "Labor with walking/ breathing, techniques. Epidural. Whatever Dr views as necessary. Hold baby as much as possible during 1st 1-2 hours after delivery."  
    The rest of it looks like a dumbed down version of the one on TB's website.  I took into account things we learned on the hospital tour as well.  

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• I was going to make one, but didn't.

My birth plan goes something like this. Labor for as long as I can naturally, get the epi, and try to have a healthy baby, and delivery. However that may happen.

I wanted to try med free, but my pain tolerence is very low.
  • Our hospital provides a one-page birth plan with check boxes and room to add any additional preferences. We can also bring our own though they ask to keep it to one sheet and if provided beforehand at a regular appointment, they scan it in to the system for easy access. A couple of items I didn't see mentioned but may be worth including:
    • if baby is male, whether or not you want circumcision
    • individuals permitted in the delivery room (our hospital has security on the L&D floor)
    • whether you or dad wants to accompany baby if anything needs to be done ASAP for medical purposes or even the first bath and health assessment (which is delayed for the first few hours unless medically necessary)
    • preferences on IV versus saline lock, lighting, movement and props, continuous versus periodic monitoring, etc.
  • My hospital's Women & Children center website has a document for us to use in deciding our birth plan so I've printed that off and will be using it. Some of the things we checked/decided on:

-dimmed room lights during labor (mostly because I'm prone to headaches with fluorescent lighting)
    -as much movement as possible during labor 
    -which tools we would like to use during labor (birthing ball, walking, tub, etc.) 
    -IV hydration desired, along with ice chips and clear liquids if possible 
    -husband to cut the cord
    -breast feeding unless absolutely medically necessary for her to receive formula 
    -delayed cord clamping 
    -we desire all of baby's labs and tests to be done in room, of possible 
    -if for any reason I'm not able to do immediate skin-to-skin (which our hospital basically does automatically) my husband is to perform this task 
    -and we selected which post-delivery pain management avenues I'm interested in 

There are a few other things as well, including that we would like to avoid pitocin, an episiotomy, the vacuum and forceps as much as possible, but those are also my OB's general policies - that would be more important should I end up with a different OB delivering the baby. 
    Started TTC Summer 2008~ Started with RE Summer 2009~ October 2010 IUI-positive HPT & beta, c/p~ Natural pregnancy March 2013, m/c at 7 weeks, Trisomy 16~ Natural pregnancy June 2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I filled out the worksheet the hospital sent, but most of my preferences (which I call them rather than a plan, just for my own frame of mind going in) are standard procedure at my hospital anyway: being able to labor in alternate positions (the beds adjust to be able to achieve more gravity friendly positions even with an epidural) for as long as feasible/if possible with the level of numbness achieved with the epi, having an epidural but preferably not til I'm nearing transition, access to a shower or tub before the epi, prefer to tear vs episiotomy, immediate skin to skin and delayed cord clamping.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • I am a huge planner about most everything, but I am going into this birth with no specific plan. My hospital already defers to skin to skin and immediate breastfeeding etc, so most of the things I would've wanted to specify are just common practice for them. I have to be induced for medical reasons, so I can't avoid any of the fun that goes along with that. At the end of the day, I just need a healthy baby at the end. I am delivering at a great hospital so I will defer to the experts. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SWalkerRN said:

Birthing
    Plan

·       
    Fyi: Baby’s sex is a surprise. If
    nurse/doctor knows the sex please refrain from saying what it is. Refer to baby
    as baby and not he/she/him/her.

·       
    Student nurses welcome in room as long
    as they are respectful and quiet during pushing, I want to help with learning
    process if I can.

·       
    Please help me achieve a vaginal, med
    free labor

o  
    Do not offer pain meds or ask about my
    pain. My husband will come to the nurses if I would like pain medication.

o  
    No epidural unless my husband comes to
    nursing staff

o  
    No Pitocin or c-section unless last
    resort/ all other options exhausted or medical emergency. Pitocin preferred
    over c-section.

o  
    I would like to labor in various positions,
    move around a lot and use the tub

o  
    Saline lock ok

o  
    Perineal massage preferred over
    episiotomy

·       
    Husband to cut umbilical cord

·       
    Immediate skin to skin contact

·       
    Breast feeding exclusively- do not feed
    baby formula.

·       
    Circumcision for boy

·       
    We are choosing to vaccinate baby

In
    event of C-Section:

o  
    I want to be as alert as possible

o  
    Husband to announce sex of baby to room

o  
    If possible, I would like my chest
    exposed for immediate skin to skin contact and have skin to skin while the
    doctors are closing me up.

o  
    Husband wants to cut umbilical cord

Many of these things sound like they'll violate hospital policy. I mean, obviously it varies but some wouldn't be allowed at any hospital I've heard of. I'd ask your doctor.

Specifically the pain thing.. They're supposed to ask. They're supposed to ask how you are and if you want anything. It's part of good patient management. They're not trying to be pushy, but hospitals are graded on asking about pain.

And the csection stuff... Many times no nonstaff is allowed past the drape,l because it would break the "sterile field" and risk you and be a HUGE liability thing. Your H cutting the cord and coming around the drape to be the first to see baby's sex and announce it might not be allowed... And really, even if he's tough and has seen many surgeries, he might feel pretty queasy to see YOUR abdomen cut open. Dh has seen hundreds of procedures and done many dissections and said the only time he nearly passed out was when he caught a glimpse of my incision during my section.

Csextions are pretty darn quick, especially urgent ones. I'd talk to your doctor to find out policies. More reasonable ones are to allow dh to stay with baby, to keep baby in or with you until you're moved to recovery, unrestrained arms, a mirror so you can watch baby come out...

image image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • clb2196 said:

Many of these things sound like they'll violate hospital policy. I mean, obviously it varies but some wouldn't be allowed at any hospital I've heard of. I'd ask your doctor. Specifically the pain thing.. They're supposed to ask. They're supposed to ask how you are and if you want anything. It's part of good patient management. They're not trying to be pushy, but hospitals are graded on asking about pain.  
    FWIW, my midwife didn't even blink at that one on mine, said it wasn't an issue at all. Don't know if that's something that's changing in general or just specific hospital policy. But that's exactly why I put it on my list and went over it with my midwife!

Can't speak for the c-section ones (I don't think my husband would want to watch the incision but if it comes to that and it's an option, up to him), but even if DH isn't the first to *see* the sex he should still be able to be the one to announce it.
    typically in a hospital, they're going to ask you about pain. hell, they're asking me about possible pain constantly and i'm not currently birthing a child and my complications aren't painful things.

and i asked a lot of questions about my c-section now that i need one... rondack is right, DH crossing the curtain breaks the sterile field. he may be able to cut the cord if it's not an emergency situation.

also, FYI- if you have a c-section and it's an emergency situation, everything on your list will be thrown out the window. (i've asked... it's a real possibility in my near future!) for emergencies they may knock you out completely because it's faster/easier for them to do it that way, and if baby is in distress they won't be having DH cut the cord or even look at the baby- they'll just take him out, cut the cord, and stabilize him ASAP.

that's just what i've learned about emergency c-sections.. i suppose all hospitals could do things differently, but that all makes perfect sense to me so it wouldn't surprise me if it were standard stuff. of course, healthy baby is most important, so IMO it's okay to have other things left out for the safety of the baby.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • ziggy903 said:
    Here's my birth plan: get baby out as safely as possible.
    This is mine too, though if I do have a vaginal birth, I would like an epidural.  (Baby is still breech so I don't know if this will happen.)

• ziggy903 said:

This is mine too, though if I do have a vaginal birth, I would like an epidural.  (Baby is still breech so I don't know if this will happen.)

@djtippietoes I know you have lots of growth scans, do you ask what position he's in every time?
    I know I'm a few weeks behind you(32 today) so mine still has more room to move, but this kid flips like, every day. He could be flipped and back by the time you see him!

• @ziggy903 they always mention that he's breech when I have an ultrasound.  He's not the most active baby, so I guess he's just comfortable in this position.
  • @ziggy903 they always mention that he's breech when I have an ultrasound.  He's not the most active baby, so I guess he's just comfortable in this position.

Glad I'm not the only one with a super stubborn one in that respect! I've had extra growth scans due to my thyroid stuff and the tech just laughs when she come up on the screen at this point... feet in her face, frank breech every. single. time. since my a/s. I know she's got plenty of time to still boogie her way to head down, but she seems quite content how she is!

Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • clb2196 said:
    ziggy903 said:
    typically in a hospital, they're going to ask you about pain. hell, they're asking me about possible pain constantly and i'm not currently birthing a child and my complications aren't painful things.
    Well that's why it's on the list to ask them not to ask. :) Because normally they do. I mean worst case they say no, they're required to ask you. In my case, they said that's fine, it's no problem for them not to ask. Not like I'll flip out and attack them if someone does ;) but it's a preference, and one that for me is do-able at my hospital. *shrug*
    FWIW, the birth plan sheet prepared/provided by our hospital as a template actually asks us to specify whether we want meds immediately, to be offered meds if we appear to be in pain, or to wait for us to request them should we want them (meaning they won't offer).

Another thought, they also told us that if we are strongly in favor of an unmedicated birth, to reiterate this verbally when we first arrive at L&D so that we could be teamed up with particular staff who specialize in facilitating this. This is not to say that they won't respond to any changes along the way (preferences or situations), but just that they will work extra hard to support your preference/process.

• clb2196 said:

ziggy903 said:

typically in a hospital, they're going to ask you about pain. hell,
    they're asking me about possible pain constantly and i'm not currently
    birthing a child and my complications aren't painful things.

Well that's why it's on the list to ask them not to ask. :) Because
    normally they do. I mean worst case they say no, they're required to ask
    you. In my case, they said that's fine, it's no problem for them not to
    ask. Not like I'll flip out and attack them if someone does ;) but it's
    a preference, and one that for me is do-able at my hospital. *shrug*
    FWIW, the birth plan sheet prepared/provided by our hospital as a template actually asks us to specify whether we want meds immediately, to be offered meds if we appear to be in pain, or to wait for us to request them should we want them (meaning they won't offer).

Another thought, they also told us that if we are strongly in favor of an unmedicated birth, to reiterate this verbally when we first arrive at L&D so that we could be teamed up with particular staff who specialize in facilitating this. This is not to say that they won't respond to any changes along the way (preferences or situations), but just that they will work extra hard to support your preference/process.

Interesting! I love that! (The second part, about the L&D staff)

• clb2196 said:
    ziggy903 said:
    This is mine too
    I just wanna point out that this ^ and having a birth plan are not mutually exclusive. Now, if you're in a position where you know have complications (like ziggy) or know you need a c section, that's one thing. But if, as far as you know, going in are likely to have an uncomplicated birth, I guess it confuses me a little that people seem to not have any idea what they want. I've had hospital stays before, and I've been at a birth before- there's a lot of unnecessary discomfort that can be avoided, if you and baby are currently fine. I mean if people really don't care, that's fine. I just really don't get it, I guess. 

It's not like if your birth plan says you want immediate skin to skin, they're going to not take baby away for an emergency procedure because they can't go against your plan! Their default is they do what they need to do. So why not take all the optional things and have a best case scenario plan to have the best (and I don't just mean comfortable, I mean easiest, most productive, and quickest too) plan for you? (not aimed at just the above poster, btw, just a general question). 

ETA: And I know I've mentioned it before but the reason my mom had an emergency c-section (with general anesthesia since she has crazy fast labors) was because at 39 weeks I suddenly flipped to breech! so while that's less than comforting to me to with a head down baby ;) I hope some of these breech babies decide to turn for you guys!
    I have had a somewhat difficult pregnancy, so I really do feel like how he gets here isn't as important to me as him actually getting here.  I see what you mean about the best case scenario, and I understand that having a birth plan is important to people, but it's just not to me.  I might change my mind as the date nears closer, I suppose.

I hope he flips too!  That's encouraging that you flipped (albeit the wrong way!) at 39 weeks.
  • @djtippietoes , couldn't of said it better.
  • ziggy903ziggy903 member
    edited January 2014
    clb2196 said:

I have had a somewhat difficult pregnancy, so I really do feel like how he gets here isn't as important to me as him actually getting here.  I see what you mean about the best case scenario, and I understand that having a birth plan is important to people, but it's just not to me.  I might change my mind as the date nears closer, I suppose.

I hope he flips too!  That's encouraging that you flipped (albeit the wrong way!) at 39 weeks.

Thanks for answering me. :) I can definitely understand that problems and complications can be very overwhelming, and make the smaller details less important! 

I just also want to avoid any slightest inference that because I've got a nice typewritten list that my #1 priority is anything other than having a healthy baby at the end. :)

Nope- we've had a nice civil conversation here today, which is lovely! It's clear to me that your ultimate goal is a healthy mom and baby, but if you can have a couple other things that would be nice :) I love the change of "plan" to "preferences"... It makes a huge difference to me!

ETA because spelling is hard

• I want to add that I also love the term preferences over plan as well and I am going to make that change! I hope i did not come off as rigid-hard to tell online. I am very flexible as I do not want to be heartbroken if things do not go 100% how i "planned" and the most important thing is healthy mom and baby. I want my preferences known but was worrying about coming across as a "princess" or control freak which as I originally posted was the experience I had in nursing school- the nurses laughed at plans. Ultimately I am praying for all healthy deliveries and babes and if we can have our preferences in labor too thats a nice bonus.
  • Don't forget music when determining your preferences. I am fortunate in that my OB and hospital use most of my preferences as standard procedure but was thrown for a loop when it was mentioned that I could control the playlist.
  • Codypup said:

My birthing plan:

1. I would prefer not to be induced, not to have pitosin (sp?), and not to have a C-section, if at all possible. If any of those things happen, so be it, but in my perfect world I'd have none of them. 
    2. YES to an epidural!
    3. <---most important: Absolutely NO narcotics whatsoever, due to my alcoholism/addiction. Toredol is totally fine, but anything stronger than that is not okay.

Mainly, I want the baby out as safely as possible. I trust my doctor and he knows my preferences -- so if they have to induce, use pitosin, or do a c/s, I know it's medically necessary. I'm under no weird illusion that I'll be able to plan this whole ordeal!! 
    Just an FYI....epidurals will definitely contain a narcotic. It's usually Fentanyl.
  • ShePersistedShePersisted member
    edited January 2014
    I have been grappling a lot with if I want to think about a plan or not. TBH I am not one of those moms who want the perfect birth. I am all for using the best medication and technology to make sure I go this pain free and my baby is safe. But there are certain things this thread makes me think about which I wonder if they will matter- like skin to skin contact, DH cutting the cord etc.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that this is a partnership between your dr and you. If my dr remains open to certain things I will go for it. If he seems to be someone who will snort at my plan I rather just concentrate on basics. My priority is that the baby is doing well after birth so want them to concentrate on him 100% and that they do a good job in ensuring they stitch me up really well rather than think through if I want skin to skin or who cut the cord or got that matter what music is in the background. Perhaps that is what my plan is!
  • karich said:

Codypup said:

My birthing plan:

2. YES to an epidural!

Just an FYI....epidurals will definitely contain a narcotic. It's usually Fentanyl.
    I'm going to tag @codypup to make sure she sees this :)

• ziggy903 said:

karich said:

Codypup said:

My birthing plan:

2. YES to an epidural!

I'm going to tag @codypup to make sure she sees this :)
    I thought about adding that as well (that technically the epi will have fentanyl). Unfortunately I'm don't have the medical reasons or terms for this (maybe someone else here does?), but basically, any narcotics in the epi don't have any sort of mind-altering effects, except *maybe* to make you a little drowsy and/or relaxed (or maybe the drowsiness/ability to relax is just a side benefit due to the pain being drastically reduced). The epi doesn't make me feel sleepy or high or anything else other than to block some pain.

Sorry I don't have the medical terms, but hopefully this makes sense. Oh, and I've had fentanyl for pain via a patch and IV... NOT the same effect as however it's used in an epidural.

Someone on my old BMB had the same concerns about narcotics as @codypup, and she ended up having a c/s (with epi obviously) and chose to only use Motrin for pain afterward.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• karichkarich member
    edited January 2014
    @codypup, There are people in my life, who I love very much, who battle addiction, and I know it's not easy. I applaud you for your success and commitment!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"