Infertility

ICSI without MFI?

My RE's protocol is every patient, no matter of diagnosis, gets ICSI.  DH is very hesitant to proceed with the ICSI.  I was wondering anyone out there that use spontaneous conception for IVF?  Or anyone out that did a spilt?  And how were the results?

Re: ICSI without MFI?

• I haven't started yet so I have results for you, but we are unexplained so my RE does's half ICSI... So I don't think ICSI w/out MFI is unheard of. 
  • I'm interested to hear these responses too. We don't have MFI, but morphology was borderline so initially I was hoping our RE would recommend ICSI. After he explained the pros and cons of each method, we decided to leave it up to the embryologist.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • ***siggy****

My RE does ICSI about 75% of the time, not always just for MFI. We used to have MFI before hubby started clomid and moved to the "unexplained" category prior to IVF. We still did 100% ICSI on the whole batch though.

Seeing as we didn't know what our problem really was, we didn't feel comfortable doing 100% non-ICSI. I would hate to have had to go through everything just to find out, oh apparently there's a fertilization problem! Granted, most places can do rescue ICSI the next day (called "fixie" :) ) but I didn't want to chance that since my RE said it has slightly less success rates. ICSI is not a sure fire way to guarantee fertilization though and every egg may not fertilize. I think we had about 85% even with ICSI.

I've seen some ladies do half ICSI, half non-ICSI to cover both bases and I know some women don't do ICSI at all and end up being just fine! You can ask P/SAIF as well to get ideas too.

Good luck Banker!

• We did ICSI as we are "unexplained" and with me being of AMA (advanced maternal age) they thought it would give us the best chance.  All 6 eggs fertilized on IVF#1 though they all only made it to the morula stage.  3 were transferred and the other 3 arrested on day 6.  

ICSI is out there for other issues too.  Hope this helps.

************** Siggy Warning************

Married August 2012 -- Me (40 yrs old) My husband (45 yrs. old) 

RE referral from ObGYN in late Jan. 2013 -- Testing Confirms Unexplained IF 

IUI #"s1 - 3 (Femara + IUI) April - June 2013 - all BFN

Decided to do IVF... Began stimming on September 10th!  Egg Retrieval 9/20/13.  19 eggs: 6 to mature to freeze after 6 fertilized with ICSI

3 morula stage embryos transferred on 9/25/13.....Beta #1 on 10/4/13/ = 7.5  Beta #2 on 10/6/13 =  negative

IVF#2 - Lupron plan  (set to begin on 10/28/13)  (Planning on thawing and fertilizing our 6 eggs with ICSI as well as all of the mature eggs they retrieve with this fresh cycle.)

Late October 2013 - ectopic pregnancy - methotrexate injection....benched 3 months

CD1 - 12/5/13...Lupron set to start on 12/26/13; CD1 - 1/2/14....Baseline 1/3/14....begin follistim tonight and continue with lupron.  (Got my calendar today!  IVF#2 is a go!)

ER = 1/14/14  (11 eggs....9 were mature. 9 fertilized.  Of the 6 mature eggs we thawed, only 4 fertilized.  At this time, we have 13 eggs fertilized and growing.  Waiting for news about a 3-day or 5-day transfer.)

ET = 1/19/14  (5dt).....3 blastocysts transferred!   (All nine embryos didn't make it to freeze.  =(  )

Beta #1 = 1/28/14   (2 weeks after ER)  BFP! 209 (9dp5dt)   EDD 10/7/14

Beta #2 - 1/30/14  (11 dp5dt) 302

Beta #3 - 2/3/14  (15 dp5dt)  1222 

Ultrasound set for 2/17/14......TWINS!        Twin A - HR 124 bpm; Twin B - HR 126 bpm

Final Ultrasound with RE 3/10/14 - Twin A - HR 176 bpm; Twin B - HR 177 bpm.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome! 

imageimage 

imageimageimage

• My old RE did ICSI for everyone regardless (like OP). When discussing with our new RE, he suggested doing half this way and half the other way. With IVF #1, I had 37 eggs, but only 13 mature. The thing with not doing ICSI, it could give the non mature eggs a chance to mature while the sperm is finding the egg. If you do ICSI, if the egg isn't mature, it is automatically discarded after they peel back the layer to inseminate and find out that it's not mature. I think this is what my RE was saying, but I could definitely have some facts wrong.

**Sig warning***

TTC since 9/2011. DH - 32, me 32.

IUI#1 (natural): BFN; IUI#2 (clomid): BFN; IUI#3 (clomid and follistim): BFN.

IVF #1 March 2013, freeze all (OHSS).

FET#1 June: BFN

FET#2 August: delayed due to thin lining (6.3).  Took a few months off to try and thicken the lining with lots of estrodial.  FET#2.2 December: Cancelled due to thin lining (4.8). Two frosties left.

*New RE* Sonohystrogram and hystereoscopy done in Feb.

IVF #2: ER 3/4/14  ET 3/7/14, transferred 3, 3 day 9 cell perfect embryos.  No frosties.

Beta #1 (14dp3dt) 504

Beta #2 (21dp3dt) 11,561

First ultrasound on 4/3/14 showed 3 sacs: one empty and two with beating hearts!!  At 7w2d, found out that one baby did not have a heartbeat anymore.  Praying that baby B makes it.  Baby B is a girl!

EDD 11/25/14 BORN 11/29/14

**PAIF/anyone welcomed to comment!!  Thank you.

imageimageimageimage

• ***siggy****

My RE does ICSI about 75% of the time, not always just for MFI. We used to have MFI before hubby started clomid and moved to the "unexplained" category prior to IVF. We still did 100% ICSI on the whole batch though.

Seeing as we didn't know what our problem really was, we didn't feel comfortable doing 100% non-ICSI. I would hate to have had to go through everything just to find out, oh apparently there's a fertilization problem! Granted, most places can do rescue ICSI the next day (called "fixie" :) ) but I didn't want to chance that since my RE said it has slightly less success rates. ICSI is not a sure fire way to guarantee fertilization though and every egg may not fertilize. I think we had about 85% even with ICSI.

I've seen some ladies do half ICSI, half non-ICSI to cover both bases and I know some women don't do ICSI at all and end up being just fine! You can ask P/SAIF as well to get ideas too.

Good luck Banker!
    This is exactly what I am worried about!  I am okay with splitting but I would hate to try all non-ICSI and find that none fertilize.  I guess it ultimately depends on how many eggs we are able to retrieve.

Thank you for all your insight ladies <3

• We did a split with all 3 ivfs, even though it was only at the recent SA check for our current cycle we found out dh had slightly low morph (8%) . Our current RE also stressed that the quality of the lab really makes the difference too. Because initially we were hesitant to do icsi again thinking it did nothing for our fertilization rate and esp factoring in that for ivf#2 with a different RE, the batch that had icsi did not fertilize well, compared to the non icsi batch. But we went ahead with the split, and this current cycle our icsi fertilization rate was awesome which if im remembering correctly 10 out of 11 fertilized.
    **SIGGY TICKER WARNING**
    Me: 27 High FSH (POF?) DH: 33 Slightly Low Morphology / Married Aug '08 TTC since 7/2009
    6 rounds of clomid = no luck
    IVF w/ ICSI & AZH #1 - Jan/2011 = ET cancelled OHSS
    FET #1 & #2 - March/2011 & June/2011 = Chemical Preg.
    IVF w/ Half ICSI #2 New RE - May/2012 = BFN!
    May '12 - Sep '13 - Took A Break
    Dec '13 IVF w/ Half ICSI #3!!!!! Switched RE
    Protocol - Lupron trigger/Follistim/Ganirelix/Estrace/Vivelle/Crinone
    12/27 - BFP! TWINS! EDD 9/3/14 ...Team PURPLE!
    6/27/14 - Emergency C/S @ 30w2d - Baby A 2lb 14oz, Baby B 2lb 11 oz
    ALL WELCOME :)
  • I think about half the places we looked into had ICSI included in the pricing for IVF, so it's really becoming more and more commonplace to do it for non-MFI issues.

I'd ask your RE about what they feel the benefits of ICSI over "traditional" IVF, and why they choose to do it for all cycles. Then discuss your thoughts about splitting if you still feel that you would like to do that. (I'd also make a final decision on that after ER so you know how many eggs you're dealing with.) We're considering a split, or even taking one or two and attempting traditional IVF, and we're MFI! Also, we're crazy... there's that too.
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• We didn't make this decision beforehand, it was left up to the embryologist. I had 11 mature eggs and they allowed them to fertilize "naturally." However, only 3 fertilized so they used ICSI for the other 8. 
    Me (31) - PCOS with insulin resistance

4 rounds of Clomid = no response
    IVF # 1 - ET (1 3AA, 4 frosties): 12/22 = BFP
    EDD: 9/9/2014

• We are unexplained though his count is a little low.  They did split and I don't have the exact numbers but there was fertilization for both groups.
    Me: 36, unexplained 
    Him: 36, slightly low count 
    TTC since May 2011 
    IUI #1 w/Clomid - 10/2012 BFN 
    Break for cysts 
    IUI #2 w/Clomid - 12/2012 BFN 
    Break for cysts 
    IUI #3 w/Clomid - 2/2013 BFN 
    Break for sanity and to work on health with diet, exercise, and acupuncture 
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BCP, 150 Follistim, 150 Menopur, and Ganirelix
    Retrieval 9/11/2013 - 31 eggs, 17 fertilized, 3 blasts frozen 
    Transfer cancelled - Moderate OHSS 
    FET #1 - 10/22/2013 Transferred 2 (1 did not survive thaw) BFP resulted in CP 
    IVF/ICSI #2 - EPP - Starting stims 1/5/2014 (100 Follistim, 150 Menopur)
    All welcome!

• We did half ICSI/half traditional IVF with our first round. All mature eggs fertilized. With the second round, we did not do ICSI and out of 9 mature eggs, 5 fertilized. In both cases, we had poor embryo quality (BFN on a Day 3 transfer of two embryos, the remaining arrested at the 4-5 cell stage; second batch all arrested by the 2 cell stage). We are currently getting second opinions for IVF#3. One doctor said definitely yes to ICSI, the other said probably yes. How do we feel about it? We will definitely push for ICSI from this point forward. The way we figure it, why take the chance? We can use all the help we can get, so we're going for it all the way. Good luck, Banker!
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • We don't have MFI and we used ICSI. DH actually have fabulous sperm. So much so that two made it into the egg on our last bfp that resulted in a miscarriage. We did it to avoid that issue again.
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • ICSI is included for all patients at my clinic.  We had it done even though we don't have any MFI issues. Out of our 4 mature eggs, 3 did fertilize with ICSI.  (only 1 fertilized normally though because of my chromosomal issue). GL whatever you decide- If you are questioning it, definitely talk to your RE before going into things.  You can always change your mind during the cycle. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • ICSI is standard practice at my clinic and I'm glad they do. I'm not a great responder, so with so few eggs I wouldn't want to risk not having any fertilize. Our fert rates aren't fantastic even with ICSI, 3 out of 5 for IVF #1 and 5 out of 7 for IVF #2. 

Here's an article from my clinic's website where the RE explains his stance on ICSI for all patients:

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• BankerBSNBankerBSN member
    edited January 2014
    @Twinkie0612 thanks for the link.  The research that I have found keeps stating there is an increase of congenital anomalies by 4% with the use of ICSI.  But all of the studies can not determine if it is the ICSI its self or the reason why ICSI is being use (which in the past was for sperm issues)

Some days I wish I didn't research everything :/

• vpinevpine member
    edited January 2014
    My Dr is the same, ICSI for all patients. We personally were okay with it because ICSI makes sure eggs are fertilized and from what I've read, more eggs are fertilized with ICSI than on their own. So there's more fertilized eggs which is good. I had 11 retrieved, 11 fertilized with ICSI, 2 were transferred at 5 days (BFN), rest are frozen, will be doing FET next month.

(sorry, siggy doesn't update)
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Our RE does ICSI for all IVF as well. We didn't have a choice but were happy that it was included because our previous RE had ICSI as an add-on and if you paid for it, it only covered 8 eggs, any more would have been an extra cost.

We ended up with a great fertilization rate with ICSI and high quality blasts. I also read that study with the anomalies and it freaked me out initially. Like you said, there is a possible bias in the study and that could be quite significant in the findings. Besides, I tend to be a worrier and I promised myself that I would relax through this IVF process and have a little faith.

Good luck Banker. I'm really excited for you.

• We are unexplained. With IVF 1 we only had 5 mature eggs so I didn't wanna gamble so we opted for ICSI. If I would of had like 10 maybe I wouldn't have done it.  All 5 fertilized with ICSI. With IVF 2 we had 14 mature but only 9 fertilize with ICSI.  To me I feel like ICSI ups my chances of fertilization so it was worth doing.  It was an extra 2500 but if I didn't do it I would be thinking what if I did it.  We had 2 to freeze from IVF 2.  I am still not pregnant yet but I will do ICSI again for my final IVF.  

GL
    ***SIGGY WARNING***

DX: Unexplained
    6 Failed IUIs (Clomid and Gonal F).  
    IVF #1 began August 2013- BC, 4 days of Estrace, stimmed with Gonal F and Menopur, Ganirelix, 9R 5M 5F, Medrol and Doxycycline, 5 day transfer of 2 early blastocysts- good quality, Progesterone, Estrace, and baby aspirin, BETA on 9/20 BFN,   IVF #2 began September 2013, stimming with Gonal F (higher dose) and Menopur, Ganirelix, 18R 14M 9F with ICSI, 5 day transfer of 2 BBs one was starting to hatch, 2 frosties: 1  BB and 1 AC, BETA on 10/21, BFN BETA was a 5- chemical 
    Getting some more testing and trying to figure out what the issue is before FET in December, started acupuncture on 11/10, RLP and some other BW nothing major to report except slightly high Prolactin. Prolactin was slightly high when I started with my RE and I already had an MRI which was Neg.  Endo biopsy=negative.  WTF is wrong with us???
    12/18/13 FET of 1 BB and 1 AC.  Hoping for a miracle.  Beta 12/26 Low BETA-8 2nd BETA 5- chemical
    After 3 failed transfers IDK where to go from here.  Still no real answers as to why this isn't working.  Getting a second opinion in February and looking into immune testing.  
    2/14- NEW RE- Immune testing showed a partial dq alpha match with DH- On prednisone and did intralipids prior to transfer.  3/14 Lupron, gonal f, menopur, HGH.  ER 15 mature all 15 fertilized!  5dt of an early blast grade 1 and an expanded blast grade 2.  BETA on 4/21.  1 grade 2 embryo frozen
    BETA #1 59 BETA #2 148 BETA #3 283 BETA #4 2,783! US at 6w2d shows 1 bean measuring right on track! HR 121.  US at 8w3d measuring on track HR 177. Released form my RE.  EDD 12/28

All Welcome
  • Thanks for posting this question. We are in the same situation, considering ICSI without MFI. 
    I agree with many of the PP and I'll add that my RE also recommends ICSI for endo. Depending on number of eggs retrieved, we'll do ICSI on half. 

• My RE is the same as yours. ICIS FOR ALL!!!
    TTC w/ pcos since 02/11
    09/12 lap/hysteroscopy =removal of mass on bladder, possible blocked tubes
    12/12 hysteroscopy=tubes clear. uterine septum removed
    01/13 fermara step up + iui=cancelled due to no response
    02/13 clomid step up + iui=cancelled due to no response
    07/13 gonal-f + trigger + b2b iui = bfn
    08/13 bravelle(slow response) switched to menopur + trigger + b2b iui = bfn
    10/13 - IVF#1 w/ ICIS. ER= 10/29/13 (21R 10F 6 blasts made it to freeze)
    11/25/13 - FET #1, transfer 2=bfn
    03/03/14 - FET #2, transfer 2 frosties=BFP! beta#1=22, beta#2=43, beta#3=120. Ectopic Pregnancy 6w5d
    07/31/14 - FET #3, transfer our last two.
    robot photo 1d042e4e-97d6-426a-8873-4a04b9903715_zpsfa9a4a7c.jpg       
  • ***siggy****

I wanted to chime in since it seems like my answer is different from most. My RE does not automatically do ICSI, but he does give everyone the option. In our case it was not recommended so we chose "natural" (that term is funny to me considering it all happens in a petri dish!)  and we had a very good fertilization rate. We are OOP and ICSI would have cost us an extra $1,500 or something, so that factored in our decision. GL!

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did a 50/50 split with our first IVF. The only issue with DH is morphology (0% normal). We did the split because we wanted to know if it was possible for fertilization to occur spontaneously. Our results weren't that great, so on the second IVF we did all ICSI. The thing to remember about letting them fertilize spontaneously is that they don't strip off the outer layer of the egg so you don't know how many are mature.

TTC#1 since 5/2011
    DX: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, Myasthenia Gravis, Aplastic Anemia, one copy MTHFR DH SA: count 52% motility (slow progressive), 0% normal morph
    June-July 2012: Clomid cycles=BFNs
    August 2012: New RE, started Metformin, Letrozole 7.5mg+TI=BFN Sept. 2012: IUI#1: Letrozole 7.5mg=BFN
    Oct. 2012: IUI#2 Letrozole 7.5mg+Dexamethasone=BFN
    Nov '12-March '13 on a break
    April 2013: IUI#3 Letrozole 7.5mg+Dexamethasone=BFN
    June 2013: IVF#1  Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix =BFN, 3 Frosties
    August 2013: FET#1=BFP 8/20/13,  EDD 4/30/13, MMC 10/1/13
    December 2013: IVF#2 Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix=?
     ~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~

imageimageimage

• My clinic has moved to doing ICSI 100% of the time, regardless if a MFI diagnosis is present.
    Dx: Stage IV Endo & PCOS
    Lap #1 12/2011
    6 Rounds of IVF w/ ICSI: July 2012-July 2013: BFN {Bravelle, Menopur, Ganirelix, Endometrin, Dexemethasone}
    Lap # 2: 12/2013

• This is really interesting.  I am new to this and hadn't even considered ICSI since DH has great numbers.  It sounds like something we should think about - especially since we are leaning towards PGS, it might even be a requirement.
    SIGGY WARINING

Me: 32 | He: 35
    TTC since Sept 2011
    DX: Unexplained
    1st round of clomid: Jan 2013 BFP - M/C 8 weeks
    surprise BFP Apr 2013 - M/C 9 weeks
    IUI #1 clomid Jul 2013 = BFN
    IUI #2 clomid Aug 2013 = BFN
    IUI #3 injects Oct 2013 = BFN
    IUI #4 injects Dec 2013 = BFN
    IVF #1 March 2014 - 12R/12F, one perfect day 5 blast transferred
    BFP!! Beta#1 = 431 Beta#2 = 914 Beta#3 = 2207

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Here's a really informative study from the ASRM that I read recently on the topic. Hope it helps! https://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/News_and_Publications/Practice_Guidelines/Committee_Opinions/Intracytoplasmic_sperm.pdf
    *** TW ***
    2013: BFP #1 - M/C 3/13
    2014: IVF #1-4 = BFFN
    2015: Dance break = got healthy
    7/2016: IVF #5 = BFP!!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • The RE I go to they do ICSI for all IVF, regardless of the issue. 
    I was going to ask if there is any additional cost to you for the ICSI. The way I see it I would want to take out as many variables out of the equation in order to get the best outcome.
    *Losses mentioned*
    Me: 34 DH:32
    TTC #1 since Dec 2011
    HSG = tubes clear, bicornuate or septate ute; MRI= severe arcuate uterus no septum seen 
    SA #1 low count, low morph;  SA#2 4% Morph, count OK  SA#3 july 2014= NORMAL!!!
    9/2013  IUI#1 w/Clomid 100mg = over response; cycle converted to cryoocyte IVF
    IVF #1: 9/15 ER= 9 mature eggs, all eggs made it thru vitrification
    10/23 ICSI 6 fertilized; 10/28 5dt of two morulas. Hold on to me babies, stick, stick, stick!!
    11/6 BFP EDD 7/14/14 Beta #1= 18; 11/9 Beta #2= 44.8; 11/12 Beta #3= 7 = Early loss @4w6d. No frosties
    Feb 2014 Hysterscopy = no septum seen ute all clear in the inside
     IUI #1.1 4/2/14 Beta on 4/16 BFN
    Thinking about IUI #2  RE advised to try 3?????
    Natural cycle surprise BFP 8/3/14 EDD 4/11/15  beta#1(8/5/14)=35 Beta#2(8/8/14)=22  CP/Early loss@5w
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Here's a really informative study from the ASRM that I read recently on the topic. Hope it helps! https://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/News_and_Publications/Practice_Guidelines/Committee_Opinions/Intracytoplasmic_sperm.pdf
    Thanks for sharing. The ICSI for routine use is an interesting section. Showing no difference...

• We are doing ICSI due to our ages and since we are doing PGS testing....
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• I just saw this Banker. You know my history. :-) DH's sperm don't have any issues and we are unexplained IF so as far as we know the only issue is my age. We talked about ICSI with our RE before starting. She said it wasn't required but if we were ok with them using it if need be we could sign the consent forms. It's an additional charge at our RE's office. Basically what they did was watch the eggs to see how they were fertilizing, if it didn't look like it would happen naturally they would use ICSI. All 12 of the mature eggs fertilized on their own so we didn't need it. But we will give them the ok to use it if necessary for our second round of IVF.

TTC since August 2011, Me = 40, DH = 38
    Unexplained IF. Tried Clomid for 3 cycles. All BFNs. BFP 1/6/13. Chemical pregnancy.

Moving on to IVF#1. ER 11/26/13, 16 eggs retreived, 12 mature and all fertilized. 2 blasts transferred on 12/1. All other embies arrested so nothing left to freeze. Beta 12/10 = BFN. IVF #2 March 2014. BFP!!! TEAM BLUE!!!

image imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"