April 2014 Moms
Options

Hospital Bag Help

I know this is SUPER early, but I'm trying to make lists of things I need to buy. --Yes, I'm a lister! What do you guys think is important to include in your hospital bag? Is there anything that most FTMs forget or overlook? Obviously I'll pack clothes for me and the baby, but I'm sure there are other things that are helpful or nice to have. Do I take my breast pump?
BabyFruit Ticker
It's a BOY!!! Can't wait to meet Miles Garrett! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Hospital Bag Help

• Options
    It was nice to bring my own pillow since the hospital pillows are paper thin. I brought BFing pads for leaking. Protein bars for snacking. Everything else was pretty much just the norm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You won't need your pump unless you just want a consultant to go over it with you.

Comfy clothes and nursing tanks or nursing sleep bras. Grippy socks or slippers. Bigger, cheaper underwear unless you're fine with wearing the mesh undies provided by the hospital. Flip flops for the shower. Personal hygiene items of your choosing. Something to entertain yourself or DH/SO with - magazines, smart phone, whatever. Camera. Chargers. Snacks.

I brought my boppy pillow and a few changes of clothes (onesies and sleepers, nothing super cutesy) for baby and diapers (cloth). Our own swaddle blankets, receiving blankets, burp cloths.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    Nursing bra or tank. Didn't even occur to me, but it would have been great to have. If you plan to wear makeup at any point (even on your exit) bring a little mirror so you can do it seated rather than in the bathroom.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I ended up pumping at the hospital and they lent me a pump.  The nice part was that I got too keep all the accessories (tubing, shields, containers etc.) that I used.   You should check with them, you prob don't need to bring it. 

I second phone charger.  My battery was dead by the time I had baby and didn't have phone charger - it sucked not being able to call people and take pictures!

imageBabyFruit Tickerimage
    DD due April 2, 2014
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    DS born April 9, 2011

• Options
    Thanks! This is helpful! My sister-in-law (granted she's an idiot) didn't even take clothes for the baby. I had to run and buy him a few sleepers and wash them just so he would have something to wear. --- I've been so afraid I would make a stupid mistake and forget something obvious. It's good to hear that I'm on the right track. ---- why do you all say Chap-Stick? That is one thing I haven't had on my list.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ksulli said:
    Nursing bra or tank. Didn't even occur to me, but it would have been great to have. If you plan to wear makeup at any point (even on your exit) bring a little mirror so you can do it seated rather than in the bathroom.
    Thanks! I wouldn't have had any of this!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    All hospitals are different in what they will provide. We were given one diaper and expected to provide the rest. There was no tee/onesie or any clothing provided for my baby. But there was a shit ton of pads and mesh underwear!! I will bring pj pants this time as I was cold at night. Flip flops for going home as I was so swollen I couldn't fit in my shoes. Make up for sure and some shampoo, toilet stuff etc. Oh and cozy socks for walking the halls. But don't take anything you don't want blood or gunk on!!

TTC #1 since 2009
    3 clomid cycles = BFNs
    3 IUI cycles = BFN
    1 IVF = BFP
    DS born 04/08/12

TTC #2
    1 cancelled FET July 2013
    on a 2 cycle treatment break

Surprise BFP Aug 2013

Beta #1 833 Beta # 2 1633

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My hospital bag had a robe, 2 pair of black yoga pants, 4 pairs of cheap panties in a size bigger than my usual, 2 nursing friendly tshirts, 2 black sports bras (1 nursing, 1 not), 4 pair of socks, a pair of slippers, flip flops, my usual toiletries, 2 baby outfits, baby blanket for the car ride home, laptop, honey sticks and fruit snacks. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• Options
    Our hospital provides almost everything. Maybe ask when you tour. Ours even has blow dryers and shampoo/conditioner etc. All diapers and wipes are provided until discharge. They provide you with tucks and numbing spray for you. They clothe the baby until you are discharged then you change them. They send you home with some stuff too like leftover diapers from the pack that was opened at the time, nasal sucker, hat, formula swag bags etc. So, I would ask... I used hardly anything I packed.
  • Options
    LEIGHLOVE09LEIGHLOVE09 member
    edited January 2014

Our hospital provides almost everything. Maybe ask when you tour. Ours even has blow dryers and shampoo/conditioner etc. All diapers and wipes are provided until discharge. They provide you with tucks and numbing spray for you. They clothe the baby until you are discharged then you change them. They send you home with some stuff too like leftover diapers from the pack that was opened at the time, nasal sucker, hat, formula swag bags etc. So, I would ask... I used hardly anything I packed.

All of this. I lived in yoga pants and nursing tanks while I was in hospital. I brought hair dryer/straightener and didn't use once. Ill bring flip flips for shower again and makeup and all my contact stuff and glasses. Plus our camera and phone charger. I did bring a boppy for nursing purposes. The hospital lent me a pump to use while there as DD wouldn't latch and then I got a free one through insurance because of it that we took home. For baby all I needed was a binkie as hospital doesn't provide, clothes to go home in and a carseat.

• Options
    No one ever told me to bring a pillow and blanket for my first birth I was miserable in those scratchy hospital beds! So if anything bring a comfy pillow and blanket!

Also :

A light robe (the hospital gowns are not very modest ;) ) and if you have to do some walking around or just make a quick pee break you would appreciate it. But make sure it's a light material or you will sweat to death :)

Yummy soap, shampoo, conditioner. one of the best showers you will have in your entire life is post baby! You feel disgusting after birth.

Chapstick, lotion and iPod.

• Options
    Ftm & list maker here as well. There was a similar thread a few days ago, it took me a while to open it- I didn't "get it" from the title but once I opened it and realized what it was about I started following it. I thought it was helpful. 

imageimage
  • Options
    Okay... This is bound to be a dumb question... But why do you all say clothes that can get ruined? Or "But don't take anything you don't want blood and gunk on."? This has me nervous! The only birth I have actually attended was my nephew's, and he was a c-section. ???
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Same for my hospital.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Okay... This is bound to be a dumb question... But why do you all say clothes that can get ruined? Or "But don't take anything you don't want blood and gunk on."? This has me nervous! The only birth I have actually attended was my nephew's, and he was a c-section. ???

Once your water breaks any cleanliness and dryness is lost. Water breaking means you then constantly leak and bleed. Then postpartum bleeding can get out of control. You will likely leak blood while sleeping or walking for the first day or two. Birth is very messy.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

You bleed a lot after the birth. It's like a super heavy period. For me I was leaking through the pads and getting blood/gunk all over the butt of my pants and crotch area even with the pads on. Every time I stood up to go to the bathroom small clots and liquid blood would rush out. I'm not trying to scare you, but your stuff is most likely going to get pretty messy the first day at least.
  • Options
    Meh, I think people overreact about this. I just washed my clothes, I had no need to throw anything away - and that's w/ my water breaking in my own clothing & laboring in a different outfit of my own (I don't wear hospital gowns). I suppose something could get stained, but really it's just NBD.
    I agree with Lala. I never bled through anything though. I just had this feeling the night I went into labor and put a pad on before I went to bed, I had only been lying down about 10 minutes when my water broke. It didn't soak through my clothes or anything, I put on a new pad before we drove to the hospital and it was dry when we got there. I know I am probably not the norm but I was expecting MUCH worse.

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

• Options
    Snacks! I'm a food snob and a major grazer, so I had shelf stable snacks up the wazoo. Fruit leather, protein bars, apples/bananas, peanuts, crackers.... all of that.

Own water bottle... YES!

Comfy clothes... just loose, cotton stuff. Gym wear, etc. extra socks/slippers for sure.

Flip flops, my own shampoo/conditioner, extra hair elastic s, lotion, Chapstick.

My pillow, my boppy, nursing tanks, my favorite brand of nipple butter, nursing pads.

Phone and charger. Glasses. I never once read anything, though. If I wasn't caring for or staring at my son, I was sleeping.

Extra copies of my birth plan and registration paperwork.

An eye mask might not be a bad idea if you can't sleep easily during daylight hours, though I never used one.

A notepad and several pens. A nursing/diapering journal if you plan on having a paper one instead of an app on your phone.

I never wore a real bra or my own underwear... just the huge mesh shorts they provided.
  • Options
    We will bring our own pack of newborn diapers and a few cloth diapers (for the post-meconium phase) even though the hospital provides all that.
  • Options

We will bring our own pack of newborn diapers and a few cloth diapers (for the post-meconium phase) even though the hospital provides all that.

Why @MamaFantastic?
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options
    poru said:

I can't believe everyone keeps saying their own water bottle. I was obsessed with the giant mugs and wide straws my hospital provided. I even made my OB promise she would steal me one for my last month of this pregnancy! I took 3 home and toted one around my house until they broke down 2-3 months pp.

I loved mine too!!
  • Options
    I was so thankful for my nursing pjs! I bright my yoga pants for the ride home, but nothing IMO was better than a loose fitting night gown!
  • Options
    Thre are some great lists online. With each baby u bring less because u realize want u don't need but a hair elastic and socks are key!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You bleed a lot after the birth. It's like a super heavy period. For me I was leaking through the pads and getting blood/gunk all over the butt of my pants and crotch area even with the pads on. Every time I stood up to go to the bathroom small clots and liquid blood would rush out. I'm not trying to scare you, but your stuff is most likely going to get pretty messy the first day at least.
    I've read in a few places a suggestion of using Depends type underwear in addition to the huge pads to try to help contain things. Has anyone done something like that? Useful or stupid idea?

imageimage
  • Options

I've read in a few places a suggestion of using Depends type underwear in addition to the huge pads to try to help contain things. Has anyone done something like that? Useful or stupid idea?

In the hospital they give you big pads and mesh undies that help. By the time I went home two days later I was already bleeding WAY less than the first two days. I was able to just use extra long or overnight pads for at home. Depends couldn't hurt though honestly.
  • Options

In the hospital they give you big pads and mesh undies that help. By the time I went home two days later I was already bleeding WAY less than the first two days. I was able to just use extra long or overnight pads for at home. Depends couldn't hurt though honestly.

I didn't throw anything away but was glad I brought stuff I didn't care about. I bled through the big pads during the first few days.
    A friend of mine wore depends and loved them.
    Oh and soak some pads in water and freeze them for at home ... best ice packs ever!

TTC #1 since 2009
    3 clomid cycles = BFNs
    3 IUI cycles = BFN
    1 IVF = BFP
    DS born 04/08/12

TTC #2
    1 cancelled FET July 2013
    on a 2 cycle treatment break

Surprise BFP Aug 2013

Beta #1 833 Beta # 2 1633

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SIR12 said:

I didn't throw anything away but was glad I brought stuff I didn't care about. I bled through the big pads during the first few days.
    A friend of mine wore depends and loved them.
    Oh and soak some pads in water and freeze them for at home ... best ice packs ever!

My hospital tore open baby diapers and put ice cubes inside to put on my stitches.
  • Options
    I'll be bringing:
    camera
    nursing pillow
    pillow
    nursing pads
    pajamas
    nursing bra
    flip flops
    snacks
    water bottle
    travel size shampoo, conditioner, soap, moisturizer
    make-up for afterwards
    blow dryer (my hospital has them in the rooms, but they aren't as good as my own)
    straightening or flat iron
    going home outfit

For partner:
    snacks
    water bottle
    pajamas
    slippers
    travel size shampoo, soap

For baby:
    outfit for hospital photos
    going home outfit
    car seat (installed in car)

• Options
    DemoDollDemoDoll member
    edited January 2014
    My list might seem long and unnecessary but I was in the hospital for just under a week so it was really nice to have things from home to make it feel more comfortable.

Essentials for moi:

-pillow with a bright pillowcase (brought some color into photos) because the hospital ones are thin and the pillow cases are scratchy feeling.

-blanket: I am a blanket whore, I always have one wrapped around my legs while watching TV. The hospital ones aren't soft so I brought my favorite microfiber couch throw.

Boppy pillow: remember how I said the pillows are flat and scratchy? Imagine trying to prop your newborn up with one of those.

Post partum PJ set: I got one at Morherhood Maternity for $50 and it was $50 well spent. It was super soft, stretchy and comfortable, even on my incision. It was a 3 piece set with pants, nursing tank and a robe. I used the robe over my hopistal gown too. I'm buying another one this time because I wore the ish out of my last one.

Lanolin: my hospital didn't have it for some odd reason so I brought my own. It's also amazing on your lips with they are dry and you don't feel bad kissing your newborn with it on your lips.

Thick lotion: I had DD1 in August. It was so humid I wasn't even using body lotion at the time and didn't bring any. My skin got soo dry from the dry hospital air and their lotion seems to have more perfume than hydrating ingredients. I made DH run to target across the street to get me some.

Slip on shoes or sandals. It's easier to not have to bend over post partum to put shoes on so slip ons are a must.

Dry Shampoo: my hair is greasy and it was nice to have that to "freshen" up when you aren't up for a shower. I used it after having DD before they let me shower (c-section).

Not really a physical item but make sure to use the "notepad/notes" on your phone to take notes of who visited and what they got you for thank you cards. Also I used mine to keep track of my labor stages. It was kind of neat to look back on what I have written while I was in labor.
    imageimage

• Options
    DemoDoll said:
     Lanolin: my hospital didn't have it for some odd reason so I brought my own. It's also amazing on your lips with they are dry and you don't feel bad kissing your newborn with it on your lips.
    ^ This. I am so glad I took Lansinoh with me. My lips cracked from getting dried out during such a long labor - lots of mouth breathing, and my nipples got dry and cracked within hours of starting to breastfeed. Lanolin products are an absolute must for me. Also, doctor approved cough drops. Again with the dryness of the hospital, I got a tickle in my throat that was unbearable, and every time I coughed my C-section incision area got more and more irritated. I'm definitely taking lozenges this time in case I have a repeat C-section.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Options
    I didn't ruin any clothes, and changed into my own stuff right after delivery. I had a nightgown, so I kept the bottom hiked up so I wasn't sitting on it (and a sheet over my lap). I don't think I bled through anything and onto the bed at all though.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    My number one is plenty of comfortable underwear and heavy flow pads.
  • Options
    I had a section with dd1 and the first time I got out of bed, I stood up and blood started running down my legs and made a puddle on the floor. My husband was horrified. It was funny. And my hospital water jugs were awesome. I took mine home and used it for weeks after.
  • Options
    KHendy27 said:

I had a section with dd1 and the first time I got out of bed, I stood up and blood started running down my legs and made a puddle on the floor. My husband was horrified. It was funny. And my hospital water jugs were awesome. I took mine home and used it for weeks after.

This happened to me too. The first day every time I had to stand up to go to the bathroom I had blood on the sheets and floor. Everyone is different though.
  • Options

KHendy27 said:

This happened to me too. The first day every time I had to stand up to go to the bathroom I had blood on the sheets and floor. Everyone is different though.
    So would either of you try the depends idea?
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"