Adoption
Options

13 weeks and down scan reveals 1 in 4

I'm 40 healthy and was told I had a high risk but when I had to go for my blood screening and 12 weeks scan for Down syndrome I didn't expect anything more than your high risk maybe 1 in 250 etc
Last week after my scan I waited for the doc appointment which was today to tell me my potential risk and I was shocked when my doctor said your very high your risk is 1 in 4 now as all could probably do was cry with a heartfelt of emotions and the words NO going through my head did the doctor say 1 in 400 or 1 in 4 ?? No the 1 in 4 was indeed correct my partner and I cried and cried as my doctor said to make an appointment at the hospital for a test which will basically tell us weather or not baby is yes or no in Down syndrome I now have to wait for this appointment to be scheduled which won't take long hopefully this week but the decisions and things going through our heads is terrible , had anyone gone through this themselves ?

Re: 13 weeks and down scan reveals 1 in 4

• Options
    I don't think this is the right board for this post.... 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
    J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
    November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
    January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
    February 2014: "Officially Waiting"
  • Options

I have not. My sister in law had elevated AFP levels, which indicated an increased risk for Downs. She had additional testing done and my nephew turned out to be fine.

I ditto fredalina. Check out the SN board: I'm sure you'll get some support and feedback from people who have been in your shoes.

Hugs momma

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you may find what you need on the SN board as mentioned, or in your birth month board. I did have my AFP levels come back with an increased risk of Down's Syndrome and was revered to a university's specialty clinic. Ultrasound didn't show any markers and I opted for the fetal DNA test from my blood over an amnio as it is ~99.3% accurate. It came back completely normal. Hope that helps ease your mind. Good luck!
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• Options
    My dear friend also went through this (she was maybe 36?), and it was ultimately determined her daughter did not have DS.  I know it is scary, but 1/4 is still pretty low overall.  Good luck!

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"