Multiples
Options

Flying with 2 lap infants - seat selection

We'll be flying across the country in a few months and I am trying to figure out the smartest seat selection strategy. I know that we can't have 2 lap infants in the same row, so we plan to purchase 2 aisle seats across from each other. The only other questions is which part of the plane to sit? Right now, most of the very front of the plane has seats available, but I'm wondering if it would be smarter to choose seats at the back of the plane for 2 reasons - proximity to the bathroom and the higher likelihood that the middle seats will be unoccupied. The downside of course would be the long wait to get off the plane at the end of our 5 hour flight.

Anyone have any advice?

TTC #2 since July 2010
FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flying with 2 lap infants - seat selection

• Options
    You say across the country so likely not an issue for you but on some smaller planes they only have extra o2 masks on one side of the aisles so you have to sit front back on the same side. Something to double check for your flight.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    one other possible advantage for being last off of the plane, is that if you gate check your stroller, the extra "de-planing" time should allow the crew to have your stroller at your destination at your platform, rather than you having to juggle two unhappy babies and all of your stuff with the other passengers trying to get around you, while you wait for someone to gather your stroller for you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    Back of plane also usually = access to the crew's galley space if you need to get up and rock a baby.
    Me: 30, Dx Unexplained/hypothalamic amenorrhea
    DH: 31, normal!
    April/May 2011: Menopur + Ovidrel +TI = BFN
    Oct 2011: Menopur + Hcg +IUI = BFP!
    Beta #1 (13dpiui)= 129.7, Beta #2 (15 dpiui)= 305
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome!
    My Blog

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I am not sure you can plan for such!  It all depends on the flight and which rows have the extra airbags.  When we flew with our lap infants, we got to sit on the two aisle seats on the last row on one flight and then were separated on another by a number of rows.  When we flew southwest, it wasn't an issue because it wasn't a full flight, so we even got to take our infant carriers on with us and sit together, taking up an entire 6 seats across.

If you get to pick, the back of the airplane is best:)  Also, Southwest seems to really be awesome for traveling with little kiddos.
  • Options
    Please purchase seats for your children and take their carseats on the plane.  This will be much safer for your children.  You don't want them to go flying out of your arms if there is severe turbulence, a rough landing, an updraft, or some sort of runway incident.  It will also be much easier on you.  You won't have to hold a child who is fighting you to get down, you will be able to eat, drink, use your tray table, maybe even sleep.  Also, checking carseats on a plane is very dangerous.  People have gotten to their destination to find their carseat has been damaged to the point that cannot be used, had their carseat not show up, or it looks fine but there could be damage you don't see that could cause it to fail in an accident.  
  • Options
    We had to change our seats last minute as we couldn't sit across the aisle for air bag reasons. We ended up in two consecutive rows. I always try for as close to the doors as possible, you actually might have a strong desire to get off the plane quickly (screaming babies). Gate checked strollers have always been pretty fast for us too. And if you decide to hang out on the plane longer, you still have the choice to do so. Good luck, is all I otherwise have ;) We flew when the twins were 10 and 13 months, second being slightly harder than before they were as mobile. Good times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would suggest getting at least one extra seat. It is virtually impossible for both of you to hold two infants for an entire flight.
  • Options
    I ended up having to sit at the bulkhead once when flying with my oldest DD when she was under 2. I had her in a carseat, but what made it better was when she wanted to kick her legs constantly, there were no seats in front of us for her to bother. I also agree with @leebi07 for the extra seat.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options

Southwest will let you sit across the aisle from each other, which is what we did.  We just couldn't be in the same set of three seats.  Not sure about the other airlines, but you can just call and ask.

Usually there is only one restroom with a diaper changing station, and it's usually in the back, so proximity to that might be helpful, but truthfully I don't think it matters one bit where you sit on the plane.  I like to sit over or fore of the wing myself.  I don't care if I have to travel a distance to get to the bathroom, it doesn't bug me much.  Also, if my kid screams, they scream and people around them are going to hear it no matter what.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    We just accomplished our first flight. We did not purchase extra seats. We actually picked our seats in the same row/side because if it's three seats on that side, it's likely that they will move the person in the row so you end up with a free seat. :)

We also didn't take our car seats and purchased new ones that we had shipped to our destination. (We needed them anyway for my husbands car) This saved us from having to lug around anything extra.

Tips: new snacks, new toys, more diapers than you normally would have for that time frame, teething gel, check all of your bags, extra outfits.
  • Options
    mysticl what a great idea! Hadn't thought of that. Why are you commenting on the Multiples board anyway? Are you the car seat police? Am I under arrest?

Everyone else thanks for the suggestions. Our Au Pair is coming with us so we will have an extra helper. We're borrowing car seats from our friends at our destination so not worried about damaging them. I'm thinking we will buy 2 aisle seats in the back of the plane and cross our fingers that one or both rows will have an additional seat available.

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LAN booked us next to one another for our flight next month from Buenos Aires to Miami. 
    Having the best time ever as mom to Max and Emma, born April 6, 2013!

NYer by birth, I now call Buenos Aires home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"