November 2013 Moms
Options

I hate breastfeeding...

...or, rather, exclusively pumping, and I want to quit.

I feel like I'm going to throw a temper tantrum if faced with my pump one more time. Problem is the baby is doing really well, I have a great supply (the whole freezer drawer is full and there's more every day) and I've got loads of support, particularly at the moment when my family is here. The only reason I want to quit is because I'm feeling incredibly lazy and am getting sick of the pump/feed/wash cycle.

I probably won't stop, but I just need to throw a small temper tantrum. *sigh* Thanks!
photo bannernew_zpsfb1f0d0b.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I hate breastfeeding...

• Options
    Can you take some shortcuts to make it easier? Refrigerate your pump parts so you only need to wash once a day, get some extra bottles (Gerber first essentials match the PISA and are cheap) so you can wash less? I understand, I'm in the same boat.
  • Options
    I think I'm already shortcutting as much as I can. The only thing I could possibly do is to get a double pump -- the one I have a single since they don't make the double version in the UK -- but then I'd have to get all new stuff and when I've been hovering on the edge of this tantrum for so long, it seems silly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh man, yeah if you're spending twice as long as you would with a double then I can see how it is more frustrating. I have found that having a manual on hand has been useful.. Sometimes it's faster than my double and doesn't need to be lugged around. Good luck!
  • Options
    I feel you too. The pump/feed/wash cycle is crazy! Question though: how does refrigerating pump parts cut down on washing? TIA!
  • Options
    I was just thinking about quitting pumping myself, as I'm approaching the 3 month mark. Pumping can be SO frustrating! I'm going to try & tough it out through flu & RSVP season, as I don't produce enough to stockpile. I really want LO to have all of the protection I can give him. The only advice I have is to take it a day at a time. I've also moved his play mat right in front of my little pumping area. Watching him play and discover things is a nice distraction during some pumping sessions!
  • Options
    Instead of washing afterwards, popping the parts in the fridge afterward keeps the milk on them "fresh" and keeps bacteria from growing on them.

My parents are here this week so I've actually had to cut sessions left, right and centre. My schedule is mad at the moment. Think I'm still pumping six times every 24 hours. It's kind of hard to tell.

I bought the single pump because it's the only one Tommee Tippee sells over here -- I know they do a double in the States -- and I had high hopes about baby being able to eat straight from the tap, as it were. Then, when we were separated for all the time he was in the NICU, I was using the hospital pumps. After we got home, I was still hopeful about feeding from the breast so I didn't replace my pump then or order the hospital-grade one on rental. And since then, I've been on the cusp of quitting for weeks. My only options for an upgrade would be to either buy or rent the double Medela, which uses completely different flanges and bottles. I'd literally have to start from scratch and buy everything new (boy am I kicking myself for selling off all of the Medela stuff!)

My goal for feeding breast milk was "longer than I did with DS1" and I've achieved that -- I remember stopping after a panicked midnight email to my LC, which I've just dug out and dated. It's just I can't justify stopping when it's still "working", if you know what I mean, but my brain is going PLEEEEEASE WHEN CAN WE STOOOOOOP?!

• Options
    justMaikejustMaike member
    edited December 2013

I feel you too. The pump/feed/wash cycle is crazy! Question though: how does refrigerating pump parts cut down on washing? TIA!

The milk that is left behind in the pump is cooled down in the fridge, meaning you won't have to worry about milk drying up, thus it can be taken out of fridge and used right away which cuts down on cleaning (at least for one 'cycle')

Edit (because my phone loves to post earlier than I can type):
    Hang in there, you managed to do it for so long already!

• Options
    justMaike said:
    The milk that is left behind in the pump is cooled down in the fridge, meaning you won't have to worry about milk drying up, thus it can be taken out of fridge and used right away which cuts down on cleaning (at least for one 'cycle') Edit (because my phone loves to post earlier than I can type): Hang in there, you managed to do it for so long already!
    Interesting, I didn't know that, thank you! 
  • Options
    Do you have someone that can do the washing for you?  I only pump twice a day and that's a ton of washing, so I can only imagine how much you have to wash!  We have enough stuff that we wash every other day-- and if I don't get to it in a particular day, DH does it before he goes to bed.  Maybe if you have someone take over that portion of EP it will seem more manageable.  
  • Options
    There's an adaptor to use a medela pump straight into Tommee Tippee bottles, fwiw. Maybe that could help?
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    gwenneh said:

I feel like I'm going to throw a temper tantrum if faced with my pump one more time. Problem is the baby is doing really well, I have a great supply (the whole freezer drawer is full and there's more every day) and I've got loads of support, particularly at the moment when my family is here. The only reason I want to quit is because I'm feeling incredibly lazy and am getting sick of the pump/feed/wash cycle.

I probably won't stop, but I just need to throw a small temper tantrum. *sigh* Thanks!

I feel you!!! I'm EP but only getting 10oz a day and am supplementing with formula ... It's such a hassle to have to pump for 30min every 3 hours to I my get 10oz!!! I'm thinking about stopping! 2 months if breast milk is better than none
  • Options
    I hear ya!! I exclusively pump also and it's hard work--just like breastfeeding!! I do the pump parts in a bag in the fridge and only wash them after his 10:00 feeding so I feel like tht deffinitly helps! Try hanging in there a little longer but also know you are not alone!! I'm really curious how it's going to work once i go back to work as I feel like I will feel even more lazy!!
  • Options
    @gwenneh - I have a double electric Ameda Purely Yours that I won't keep. I was hoping it could be my upstairs pump but I just couldn't get much milk with it. The Medela PISA worked much better for me.

Anyway, I know some ladies swear by the Ameda. I'd be happy to ship it to you if you think you'd like it. I used it exactly once about a month ago; and it's a closed system so no milk got in any of the tubes.

Let me know.
  • Options

gwenneh said:

I feel you!!! I'm EP but only getting 10oz a day and am supplementing with formula ... It's such a hassle to have to pump for 30min every 3 hours to I my get 10oz!!! I'm thinking about stopping! 2 months if breast milk is better than none
    This exactly!!! I felt bad feeling this way but glad I am not alone!! I had an oversupply for a while and now my supply is so far down and I cannot figure out why. And people keep telling my way to boost it, pump every 2 hours, put him back on the breast and then pump, take this, take that but honestly I would rather spend time talking and playing with LO than have something attached to my boob all day!
  • Options
    I am hitting a wall with bf'ing too due to mastitis and now thrush. I suck at pumping (only get 1.5 to 2oz) so that's not really a full time option for me. I feel like it's EBF or nothing. I have been working on a freezer stash for a month and have 12 oz stored. That will get him through Day 1 at daycare. Not looking good for me.

I feel like my boobs and body are rebelling. I am glad I'm not the only one who is tired and tired of it, even if our circumstances/issues are different.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cagoldi said:

@gwenneh - I have a double electric Ameda Purely Yours that I won't keep. I was hoping it could be my upstairs pump but I just couldn't get much milk with it. The Medela PISA worked much better for me.

Anyway, I know some ladies swear by the Ameda. I'd be happy to ship it to you if you think you'd like it. I used it exactly once about a month ago; and it's a closed system so no milk got in any of the tubes.

Let me know.

My insurance company sent me the ameda purly yours and it didn't work for me either, the suction was horrible, I was given a madela from a friend thankfully that just stopped working correctly, I called madela and they sent me a new one but I'm still only getting 10oz all day

• Options
    cagoldi said:
    @gwenneh - I have a double electric Ameda Purely Yours that I won't keep. I was hoping it could be my upstairs pump but I just couldn't get much milk with it. The Medela PISA worked much better for me. Anyway, I know some ladies swear by the Ameda. I'd be happy to ship it to you if you think you'd like it. I used it exactly once about a month ago; and it's a closed system so no milk got in any of the tubes. Let me know.
    Oh wow, really?! I know they sell Ameda pumps here so I can get extra parts easily...as long as the motor is the same. If you look at the back of the pump, does it say anything about the voltage?

• Options
    gwennehgwenneh member
    edited December 2013
    I breast fed him directly on the train home last night. We'd been out all day and he was screaming, and we were out of milk. It kicked my D-MER off quite fiercely...when I pump it's only a few bad seconds at the start of each breast,but for some reason the few times I've tried direct feeding it's been constant. That was also part of my temper tantrum....the DMER isn't getting any better or easier to handle.

ETA: some electronics need a voltage adapter, some only need a new power supply. That's what I'm trying to determine, since I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on a UK Ameda supply fairly easily, but don't want to blow up the motor after having someone go through the trouble to ship it all this way.

Edited to make it legible; typing and one-handed pumping don't mix.

• Options
    gwenneh said:

I am EP.  how often are you pumping?  If you have a supply built up, go every 4 hours and longer throughout the night.  It will save ur sanity. LO is 8 weeks and I pump every 4 hours during the day and only pump when he wakes up at night.  If he doesnt wake up to eat, I dont pump.  
    View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
  • Options
    gwenneh said:

cagoldi said:

Let me know.

Oh wow, really?! I know they sell Ameda pumps here so I can get extra parts easily...as long as the motor is the same. If you look at the back of the pump, does it say anything about the voltage?

It says 9/12 VOC. So I think that means it's 12 volts?

• Options
    I EP too and feel you OP! It can be so tedious! My LC said to cap each pumping session at 20 minutes, every 3 hours and that has given me some sanity. Also, I only pump during the day from 9am-ish to 10:30 pm and say screw it later than that.

The Ameda Purely Yours pump from insurance is such a POS compared to the hospital grade one we've been renting (a Hygeia double pump). Well worth it to spend $45 a month to rent one that works well. What a waste that insurance companies are sending out pumps that suck! Whats the point?!

Hang in there ladies!
  • Options
    @gwenneh - let me know if you think you can use it. I have a friend that needs one but I told her I offered it to someone else already.

If you don't want it, I'll go ahead and let her have the pump.

Thanks. : )
  • Options
    @cagoldi you are so incredibly kind to offer. I don't want to go to the trouble of shipping it if I'm not 100% positive it will work here -- if I am wrong about it working, it will burn out the motor very quickly -- so may as well give it to your friend. At least she can be sure it won't overheat while using it! :D

• Options

gwenneh said:
    @cagoldi you are so incredibly kind to offer. I don't want to go to the trouble of shipping it if I'm not 100% positive it will work here -- if I am wrong about it working, it will burn out the motor very quickly -- so may as well give it to your friend. At least she can be sure it won't overheat while using it! :D
    Okay, I'll go ahead and let her have it. Sorry I can't give more info re: the voltage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"