2nd Trimester

Trying to understand health insurance-Help!!

I am 14 weeks pregnant and husband and I have decided to put me on his insurance because prenatal care/delivery is more affordable. I currently have BCBS. And my deductible is $2500 and after that 20% of whatever insurance doesn't cover. We'll I spoke with my current OBGYN and they don't take husbands insurance, which is Kaiser. (Husband failed to tell me that you have to use Kaiser doctors, etc.) so I have to change doctors, which is fine, but because I have not meet the deductible with BCBS I'm afraid I will get a huge bill for the appointments I have already been seen for. When I spoke with OB she also told me that I may only be charged for one visit, but I've had 3. First visit was transvaginal US and blood work, 2nd was just a pap and 3rd was listening to HB with Doppler. I will not be canceling my current insurance because it's free. I'm just wondering if this has happen to anyone else or is there something else I can do to avoid potential bill? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Re: Trying to understand health insurance-Help!!

• You may be able to have both insurances a nd be double covered which mean you don't lose what you've already paid under yours. Its likely though that you'll have a deductible under his as well. If yours is a high deductible plan and his is traditional HMO, you won't be able to do double coverage. his employers may also charge a fee if you have other insurance available under your employer and refuse. Also, you have to have a qualifying life event to change insurance, so unless you are still in open enrollment or quit your job, you wouldn't be able to go on his now. But your baby would be eligible for both insurances.

You may be better off keeping what you have.
    ****Siggy Warning****

IVF Cycle #1 - 4/06/2013 -3dt of 2 embryos, nothing to freeze - BFN 
    IVF Cycle #2 - 7/18/2013- 3dt of 3 embryos.Froze one 3AA 6 Day Blast! - BFN
    IVF Cycle #3 - 9/15/2013 - 3dt of 4 embryos, nothing to freeze - BFP!!!
    10/7 - +HPT - Beta #1 10/10 - 72, Beta#2 10/14 - 518,Harmony 21 @ 12 weeks shows one very healthy little BOY!!

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I changed insurance around 14 weeks. I also had BCBS and had a $4000 deductible. Husbands was $600. Um... Yes please! They shouldn't penalize you for switching but it would be best to talk to your HR and make sure. Or call the insurance.
  • Loading the player...
  • Try both. We have BCBS, and they have covered a surprising amount already, and our deductible had not been met for last year. I did have to argue with them a good bit as I was on my mother's BCBS policy, as well as DH's BCBS policy, with my DH's listed as the secondary because my mom's policy was the better of the two. They paid for insurance premiums through their business, but my SD left the company, mom bought him out, and he got a new family plan through his new employer as they are ramping down their company. I forgot to let DH's BCBS know about that policy change when it happened, so they were denying any payment because they were getting claims straight from Dr's and not from the other BCBS policy.

Long story short, I had my first prenatal appointment 9/11/13, and all claims were finally processed and payment approved just last week. Yay insurance 8-}
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"