October 2013 Moms
Options

Small mom update

Just thought I'd give an update on my mom, who is fighting breast cancer.  She had gotten the pathology results back from her lumpectomy (from someone who was not her doctor as her doctor was on vacation for a week) to see how the margins were, and she thought she was told one margin was bad so she thought she would have to go under the knife again to have more tissue shaved off.  Well, that's what she thought she heard at least.  She finally got to talk to her actual doctor yesterday, and it turns out that three margins are bad, so now a mastectomy and lymp node removal is pretty much the only option.  I am still in freak-out mode :(

image  imageimage image

O13 March Siggy Contest: AnArChY (I do what I want- & I want FOUR GIFS!)

Re: Small mom update

• Options
    I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. Be strong. Many thoughts and prayers to you and your mom.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    So sorry. Sending T&Ps to you and your mom.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers!! So sorry yal are going through this
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for your Mom and all of you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    T&P's for you and your family during this difficult time.
  • Options
    Hang in there hun ...

When is the surgery? What's the treatment plan afterwards?
    Daniel ~ October 21, 2013

• Options
    EmJ&B said:
    Hang in there hun ... When is the surgery? What's the treatment plan afterwards?
    She thinks she will get in for surgery on Jan. 6th.  The frustrating part is that when the bad news from the pathology results came back, her doctor was on vacation.  They couldn't schedule anything until she came back.  Finally today, my mom had a sit-down with the doctor so she could talk over everything face-to-face and have any misunderstandings cleared up and questions answered.  I haven't heard back yet about that meeting yet.  Her guess is a mastectomy and lymph-node removal.  Previously, when the cancer was thought to be non-invasive, she was looking at a month of radiation, but now who knows what.  Chemo could even be possible.  So much is still in the air until I hear from her today.

image  imageimage image

O13 March Siggy Contest: AnArChY (I do what I want- & I want FOUR GIFS!)

• Options
    Sorry to hear. Hang in there and sending you and you family thoughts and prayers!
    photo 23ec1769-9465-4556-8a33-a6e8dd4b13c4_zps7980b218.jpgphoto 1cf950a4-0ed6-4082-9ae5-b4dd338f363d_zps7bdda6cc.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Im so sorry thoughts and prayers for you and your family!
  • Options
    So sorry for the bad news...sending t&p's to your family!

• Options
    EmJ&BEmJ&B member
    edited January 2014
    cc_fame said:

EmJ&B said:

Hang in there hun ...

When is the surgery? What's the treatment plan afterwards?

She thinks she will get in for surgery on Jan. 6th.  The frustrating part is that when the bad news from the pathology results came back, her doctor was on vacation.  They couldn't schedule anything until she came back.  Finally today, my mom had a sit-down with the doctor so she could talk over everything face-to-face and have any misunderstandings cleared up and questions answered.  I haven't heard back yet about that meeting yet.  Her guess is a mastectomy and lymph-node removal.  Previously, when the cancer was thought to be non-invasive, she was looking at a month of radiation, but now who knows what.  Chemo could even be possible.  So much is still in the air until I hear from her today.

------------------------
    Are you and your mom in the same town? Can you go to apts with her? 2 pairs of ears are always good.

Be there for your mom - be her "safe" place - she can say anything to you, share any fear, and you'll be there. My mom had a hard time admitting that she was scared because so much cancer pop culture wants you to be positive, yanno? Its OK to be scared!!!!

The mastectomies weren't the hard part with my mom - quick, good pain management, and relatively easy healing. Radiation wasnt too bad either because it is very focused. The hard part was chemo because its really a grind - not trying to scare you but I found it helped to be prepared. You have to DECIDE right now that you guys are tougher than this disease ... and you are. I promise.

I'm here any time.

Daniel ~ October 21, 2013

• Options
    I am so sorry you're going through this. I wish I had wise words to say. I just tried to spend as much time with Dad as possible, I went to as many appointments as I could, was as informed as I could, was there just to sit with him when he was getting chemo or treatments.I was the one to ask questions at the appointments that he was too afraid to ask - side effects, expectancy, percentages, outlook, etc. Just be present as much as possible, that will mean the world to her.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"