Blended Families
Options

Step parenting--Help!!

Hello group. My name is brittney, and I'm a 28 yo mom of a seven year old boy, an eight year old step son, and we have one due in August. I love my step son as if he was my own son, however, we all have different ways of parenting. His dad(my husband) gets him every weekend, but he is a hard child to deal and I'll tell you why. His mother still lives at home, her and both of her parents work, she never does anything with the child, my husband said that he went to get him Friday and she was complaining about how she didn't feel ahold and hadnt felt good in a couple days, but once he was there to get his son, she threw her clothes on, hopped in her car, and off to her Boyfriends house. She doesn't do anything for him or anything with him, her parents are the only ones that take him to the beach or somewhere on vacation, theyre the ones that buy his stuff he needs for school and such. Yesterday he got pissed off at his dad because he asked him to pick up the mess he had in the living room, well he picked up the mess, then told his dad he wanted to go home. So we were going to take him home until he said no I don't wanna go home, I didn't mean to say it, I was just mad.  His dad and I work our butts off for the boys to have a good life, to do stuff with them and have things. But his mother and her parents have ruined him as a child, for Christmas they got him an xbox360, a tablet, a go kart, and bunch of other crap that he doesn't need. He is only eight years old not 13. Those items to me are bribs.   He is failing school, because his mother chooses to be crammed up her boyfriends butt every second of the day, and not help him with his homework. So when the weekend comes around he brings his homework with him so we can help him. Not to mention when it is time for him to come to our house we always have to be the ones to go get him and take him home,  his mother is always threatening to take my hubs to court for child support, even though her fatass doesn't do anything she can't even come and pick up her own son.

Re: Step parenting--Help!!

• Options
    Do you have a CO? If you have a problem providing transportation between visits I would have that addressed in the CO.if SS is having so many issues at school and at his grandparents what is stopping your H from getting him full time? Your title asks for "help" but I don't see a question ....

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Trying to deal with this childish immature crap? Sorry I forgot to put the question...nothing is stopping from my H from getting him.. Just immature crap.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not from the eight year old, from his BM and her parents, I just needed to vent. He doesn't think he has to mind no matter where he's at. His dad spanks him and take things from him, but it shouldn't just be his dads responsibility to discipline him. I don't discipline the child, it's not my place. I mean the eight yo got pissed off because we asked him to pick up his mess, and he got all huffy and puffy then wanted to go home because he doesn't have authority there.
  • Options
    And another thing, it's hard on him to do good in school when they don't help him with his homework, it shouldn't be all left up to us to help him. Last week the eight yo was going around telling the BM parents to f*** off, the grandma called my H and told him what was going on, and she had to nerve to ask my H what did she need to do? My H can't just drop what he's doing because they don't know how to discipline the child.
  • Options
    CurlyQ284CurlyQ284 member
    edited December 2013
    Everyone needs to realize they have no control what goes on at the other house. You have no control over the help he receives on homework at BMs, the gifts he receives or whether she does enough stuff with him.

If BM calls for discipline, your DH needs to say "You need to discipline in your own house, I need to discipline in mine." That being said, if he says he wants to go home, you say "I'm sorry, youre scheduled to be here until Sunday (or whatever day) so its time to pick up the mess". Its normal for kids to ask to go to the other house when faced with punishment, chores or anything thats not fun.

Child support and who covers transportation should be outlined in a court order. Without a court order, you can't really complain here. Go to court and have it ordered that she does half the transportation. I dont know if you guys have 50/50 custody but the parent with primary custody should be receiving child support.

Calling BM fat will not earn you any points on this board.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pretty much everything Curly said. You can only control your parenting, not hers. It CAN be super frustrating, but you really can't do anything about it. I certainly wouldn't take ss back to his mom's because he wants to until it is time for him to go back. You can't complain about them letting him call the shots when you seem to be doing the same.

The fact is, some parents buy their kids more crap and let their kids get away with more stuff than others, and unfortunately in BF parenting styles can conflict. You just have to do the best you can when you have him, and not worry about the rest.

Does your dh not pay child support now? Is there a court order?

image  image

• Options
    Yes my husband pays child support, has for three years now. The child is eight, he thinks that he doesn't have to do anything no matter where he goes. He does clean up when he is with us, he doesn't however like it. No he doesn't call the shots here, when he is asked to do something he knows he better do it or he will be disciplined. I feel sorry for my step son, he needs a more stable, healthy, and learning environment in which he can learn and not fall behind in school. I know we all have different parenting styles, but his BM needs to meet half way. I don't have to worry about this with my own son, my sons father doesn't have parental rights to him anymore. I just worry about the eight yo period. He isn't in any danger with his BM, just upsets me that she needs to give him. Ore attnetion then she does. These are the good years when they young and can take me to Disney,and and such. And I'm not calling his BM fat to earn points, I just call it as I see it.
  • Options
    Yes my husband pays child support, has for three years now. The child is eight, he thinks that he doesn't have to do anything no matter where he goes. He does clean up when he is with us, he doesn't however like it. No he doesn't call the shots here, when he is asked to do something he knows he better do it or he will be disciplined. I feel sorry for my step son, he needs a more stable, healthy, and learning environment in which he can learn and not fall behind in school. I know we all have different parenting styles, but his BM needs to meet half way. I don't have to worry about this with my own son, my sons father doesn't have parental rights to him anymore. I just worry about the eight yo period. He isn't in any danger with his BM, just upsets me that she needs to give him. Ore attnetion then she does. These are the good years when they young and can take me to Disney,and and such. And I'm not calling his BM fat to earn points, I just call it as I see it.
    If your SS is 8, why has your DH only paid support for 3 years? Your DH should never have let his child have the option of dictating that he wants to go back to his mother`s. You parent on your time which is exactly what you are complaining about BM not doing.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options
    BM doesn't think she has to do anything, that her mom and dad will do it, and they do, her parents do everything, pay her bills cell phone and all. They were together the first five years of the child's life, then she took him to court when she cheated on him and got him for child support.
    cole2144 said:
    If your SS is 8, why has your DH only paid support for 3 years? Your DH should never have let his child have the option of dictating that he wants to go back to his mother`s. You parent on your time which is exactly what you are complaining about BM not doing.

• Options
    BM doesn't think she has to do anything, that her mom and dad will do it, and they do, her parents do everything, pay her bills cell phone and all. They were together the first five years of the child's life, then she took him to court when she cheated on him and got him for child support.
    cole2144 said:

Her cheating is irrelevant when it comes to him financially supporting his child. If they are not together, unless he has 50/50 he should have to pay support.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options
    His dad does way more than he should, doesn't even get him when he's supposed to but he still pays his support.
  • Options
    First bolded- yeah, kids don't generally like to pick up after themselves. I don't give a crap if my kids like to do it, as long as they do. Expecting him to "like" it is expecting too much IMO.

Second bolded- While it would be nice if she did more, parented better, whatever, she doesn't HAVE to do anything. You can't control how she parents, and you get no say in it. The sooner you let go of what she "should" do and deal with the reality that she's not going to do what YOU want, the easier it will be for everyone.

Third bolded- If he's not in any danger, then you have no reason to have any say in her parenting. Again, let it go.

And yeah, calling her a fatass seems unnecessary. 

image  image

• Options

His dad does way more than he should, doesn't even get him when he's supposed to but he still pays his support.
    If that is the case, he should file contempt. If there is no CO, go get one. Be more proactive. By the way, what is way more than he should?

• Options
    I don't expect him to like picking up after himself.
  • Options
    He pays more money.
  • Options
    He pays more money.
    Well that is on him, she can not make him pay more. If you take issue with that, take it up with your husband.

• Options
    My husband doesn't get him when he is supposed to because the BM doesn't let my husband take him. And I plan on getting custody of the child. I am in the process of doing so.
  • Options
    cole2144cole2144 member
    edited December 2013
    You don`t even seem to like him and you want custody of "the child." So I guess there is no CO since your husband is not filing contempt.? Just because you are trying for custody does not mean you will get it.

• Options
    can you answer the question on whether or not you do have Court Ordered agreement for whether or not your husband has set visitation? Or is there none at all and it's on the whim of the mother? And you state that YOU are filing for custody? Or your husband? Please tell me your aren't handling that for your husband. If she's refusing and you have a court order, your husband can file contempt. If you don't have a Court Order it's favorable that you will get more than just EOWE if your husband request more time. 50/50 would be better than full custody, so I hope he at leasts asks for that if he can not get full custody. With 50/50 he will have more say and more presence in his sons life and then maybe you can have more of an influence on his grades, behavior etc.
    "he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options

And another thing, it's hard on him to do good in school when they don't help him with his homework, it shouldn't be all left up to us to help him.

Last week the eight yo was going around telling the BM parents to f*** off, the grandma called my H and told him what was going on, and she had to nerve to ask my H what did she need to do? My H can't just drop what he's doing because they don't know how to discipline the child.

Just sit back and wait- this will blow up in Bm and her parents face.

My SS will have fall on the floor crying fits and be huffy and whiney with Bm but you can bet your ass not with us.

Instead of worrying about what's fair and what's going on focus on providing him consistent love and discipline when he's in your home and that means he doesn't go home whenever he wants to and he doesn't talk back. He respects your home and your rules and authority. Rinse and repeat
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
     The main thing here, as many have already said and I'll say it one more time, is discipline. While SS is at your home, enforce your rules. Set specific boundaries and if he doesn't abide by them then he suffers the consequences. He is old enough to make the distinction between the two homes, and he will realize that your household is much different from bm's. He'll know that he can't get away with stuff like he apparently can at bm's. That's the best you can do. And this is the point pretty much everyone here is trying to make.

By the way, I don't really know what you mean by "His dad does way more than he should", but since you say he isn't getting what he should at bm's, shouldn't you want to do more? I mean, bm should take responsibility, yes, and with a  CO she would be legally bound to. Beyond that though, the issue is once more about you handling your side of things. I hope none of this sounds too harsh, but that's my opinion (and apparently one shared by many others here) and I honestly hope it helps.
  • Options
    OP, you HAVE to let go of your obsession with BM. I know you are trying to let off steam here, which is fine, but like all PPs have said, you have no control over her so let it go. She doesn't have to meet you halfway, she is allowed to spend every waking moment with her boyfriend, and she is allowed to let her parents financially support/spoil her son. You can certainly make the argument to a judge that you and DH can support him without relying on grandparents and maybe get custody, but after 8 yrs, no judge is going to change custody just bc BM's grandparents bare the brunt of the work. I wish you and your family well, and speaking from personal experience, I promise you will be happier when you let go of the things and people you can't control.
  • Options
    How long have you been together? You seem v focussed on what's happening at BMs house, and you seem to be expending a lot of negative energy towards her. You have to let it go which will get easier to do over time. Your negative energy should be focussed towards your dh bc those are things you may be able to fix (getting the right amount of child support, him taking his time w his son, etc).
  • Options
    your husband needs to stop spanking the boy, that shit burns me up
  • Options
    For you to care as much as you claim, you seem more focused on the ex instead of the well being of "the child", whom I'm sure can feel your resentment.
    He's 8, you clearly don't seem to like him and *if what you say is true might feel displaced by his mom too. To reiterate PPS consistent love, consistent structure, discipline, routine, and letting go of your issues with his ex. In the blended family life, those issues hurt more than you, they hurt your step son.
    Also, and this has been mentioned I think, what do you mean you're getting custody, you're taking "the child". This shows even more about your issues with BM than perhaps you'd like to reveal. It appears then you want SS as a revenge thing, not a "it's better for him" thing.

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    than try to explain to you all the ways that you're wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"