2nd Trimester

gestational diabetes

Hi ladies, For those of you who read my earlier post....you already know this....but I flunked my 1 hr glucose test &my numbers were so high that they waived the three hour test and diagnosed me with gestational diabetes. Not exactly my idea of a great way to start the new year but oh well...it is what it is & time to manage it. I was wondering if anyone has/had this & if anyone had suggestions for healthy lunches I could bring to work & healthy drinks besides water for a pregnant person to drink that are low in sugar/calories, no caffeine, and no aspartame. Any advice welcomed thanks in advance kristen

Re: gestational diabetes

• Hey Kristen, I had this with my second pregnancy (7 years ago, so I don;t know how much has changed, but here is what I did).  For lunches, I would bring in salads, lettuce wraps (you could make this with Applewood lunchmeat, which has no nitrates).  The biggest thing for me was counting my carbs.  I would be sure to spread them out throughout the day to keep my sugars right.  So, I did bring in breads, crackers, or other carbs, but I made sure to pair them with protiens, and only eat small amounts.  So if I had a sandwich at lunch, I would use one slice of bread instead of two.  I also ate a ton of veggies.  Or if I ate a salad, I would pair it with a couple crackers.  Also, I read labels.  It is amazing the difference in carbs in certain types of breads, crackers etc.  It really helped me out.  As for drinks, I don't have a lot of suggestions because I mostly stuck to water or skim milk (water with organge, lime or lemon slices to jazz it up, because those didn't add many carbs.  My niece has diabetes and she does a lot of Crystal Light but I'm honestly not sure how much sugar they have.  

The biggest trick I found was changing how I ate my carbs.  I ate smaller meals, and spread my carbs out.  So if I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast, I would eat my piece of fruit for snack several hours later.  If I had a sandwich for lunch, I would pair it w veggies and protein, and eat a granola bar later.  It worked for me to think not about what I ate but the way I ate it if that makes sense.  I hope that helps, gL. 
  • Have you had a session with a dietician yet? That helped me a ton! My OBs office gave me a big chart breaking down each of my meals and snacks into what I should be eating when. The chart was helpful, but meeting with the dietician gave me the number of grams of protein and carbs needed each snack and meal.

Lunch for me is typically dinner left overs with fewer carbs. I also make big things if soup and freeze them in lunch size servings. If I'm hodge-podging a lunch, I usually make a sandwich, splitting my protein between meat and cheese. 2 slices of the bread I buy are within my carb limits for the meal. Then I add some fresh veggies and milk.

Getting the guidelines for the amount of carbs I needed has given me a chance to relax. I know what to look for in advance and can put meals together easier. Until I met with the dietician I felt like I was flailing a bit. And I had a tendency to blow off carbs at snacks (cause "carbs are bad" in my mind).

I was diagnosed early - at 11 weeks. I was tested early because my past fasting blood sugars have been wonky, though my A1Cs have been good. So, this will be a long haul for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with Pup4.  The session with the dietician really helped me.  She helped me know what to eat when and how to find balance between eating healthy for me and getting the nutrients I needed to grow a healthy baby!
  • Thanks ladies....I had the first meeting with a dietician .... she gave me some pamphlets and stuff....I have only started testing my blood for two days and trying to do the food for a day so far...but my numbers vary greatly meal to meal so far ...ugh...I guess I will take this week as a learning process and try not to get too upset with the numbers....I have to report to the dietician weekly & then meet monthly.
  • It takes a little bit of time to get the hang of it... My numbers were like that too initially. 
  • I really hope so apmom because I really do not want to have to do insulin!
  • It will! I was able to avoid insulin and my numbers were all over the place initially. Just stick to what the dietician told you and count your carbs... Gl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"