Adoption
Options

Home Study Visit Scheduled!

Happy New Year Everyone!

I just talked to my SW and she will be coming on Wednesday to check out the house for the Home Study (as she explained it, making sure we don't have any exposed wires or 40 people living in a 1 bedroom house).  She also said instead of mailing all the paperwork in, we can just hand it to her so that way I will know she has it.  The only thing is, she said only one of us has to be there during the home check and my husband already has off because he works swing shifts.  I would have to take a day vacation to be there for it.  At first, I thought not being there would be a good thing because I'm such a nervous nellie that I would drive myself crazy.  But now?  I'm worried I will ask my husband 1,000 questions of how the meeting went and drive HIM crazy.  

If you had the option, would you rather be there during the home check or not be there? The way she makes it sounds, it really informal and just to make sure we live where we say we live.

Thanks! 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
February 2014: "Officially Waiting"

Re: Home Study Visit Scheduled!

• Options
    I would want to be there for it, but I am the more "take charge" person in my marriage. We had 3 home visits by our licensing worker, the first was where we did a walk through and she went over requirements and a few small things we needed to do to be in compliance with our house (I was formally a case worker so I was familiar with policies, but we still needed a few things, it isn't just exposed wiring and 40 people :) )The second one was our big sit down, answer a million questions thing and she played with our dog to get an idea of its temperament. the third visit was when she walked through and measured rooms, water temperature, looked at the appliances, checked smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dr.LorettaDr.Loretta member
    edited January 2014
    I would want to be there. Our home visit was after 3 office visits and our autobiography, so it wasn't long. But I can't imagine not being there to ask and answer questions
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would have gone crazy at the idea of not being there. Now that I've been there though, I'd tell you that it really is nbd and you aren't missing out on much.

I understand though feeling like you need to be there:)
  • Options
    Are you going to be a SAHM or WM after placement? It might be worth saving vacation for after LOs arrival depending on your benefits, etc.

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options
    Oh exciting!! In having this same meeting on Monday with our SW and in so nervous. I have Mondays off and DH is off by 3:30 so I'm hoping she calls me with a time tomorrow.
    Me 34 and DH 39 married in aug. 2002
    Did 5 round of clomid 2010 =BFN
     High levels of NK CELLS DX sept.2012 DOR:# 0.02 
    IVF #1 May 2012  ER 4, EF 2, ET 2 =BFN
    MINI IVF Oct.2012  Cancelled 10-27-12
    Ivf #3 Antagonist Protocol April 2013
    Shared cycle..Donor cycled in July Got 12 eggs 9 fertilized and 8 frozen!!
    DE FET #1 Sept. 3rd 2013 FIRST BFP EVER 5dp5dt
    miscarried Sept 24th at 5 weeks 5 days
    Etopic  D&C and hysterscopy Nov 5 2013
    dx with pre genetic blood clotting dec 2013
    FET #2 Jan 31st  2014 
    Miscarried for a second time again at 5 weeks 5 days
    Currently fostering to adopt an amazing little 1 year old boy..P.J!
    FET#3  is Oct 29th 2014
    BFN on fet #3
    Last and FINAL FET coming JAN 28th 2015
    Everyone Welcome

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! 

@astroMom - I do plan on being a SAHM once we are placed with the LO so I think saving up vacation days at this point would be ideal. 

@Lacyj67 - GL! Let us know how it goes! 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
    J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
    November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
    January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
    February 2014: "Officially Waiting"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"