1st Trimester

HCG doubling but no gestational sac ***UPDATE****

jmathi0149jmathi0149 member
edited January 2014 in 1st Trimester
I am writing here because I am a nervous wreck and I was wondering if anyone had been through a similar situation. I found out I was pregnant on Sunday 12/22. I went to the doctor Christmas eve because I had a small gush of blood followed by light dark brown spotting. They did a t/v  ultrasound and said they saw no sign of intrauterine pregnancy. She said she couldn't even see a gestational sac. They took my hcg levels and they were at 1800. Not even 48 hours later I had my levels done again. They had only risen to 2200. She called me back to say she was concerned and wanted me to have another ultrasound. They said they should definitely be able to see a gestational sac when the HCG is over 2000 yet once again, they couldn't find it. They did check for an ectopic pregnancy but said there was no evidence of that either. 

The doctor called afterward saying a miscarriage was pretty much guaranteed but they wanted me to have my levels checked again today to see if they were going down naturally, if not to plan on receiving a shot to end the pregnancy on Monday.  Well I went in for the blood work today and the on call doctor called to give me the results. He said "Mrs. Hawkins, I am calling to confirm your pregnancy with an HCG level of 4317. Congratulations!!!". He obviously hadn't looked at my chart. It is so strange to me that the numbers are doubling if I am getting ready to miscarry and they can't find the sac. 

Has anyone else dealt with this. They want me to go back in Monday for ANOTHER ultrasound or to terminate the pregnancy. Should I wait a little longer?

**UPDATE 1/2/2013** 

I went to a new doctor for a second opinion today. They did an ultrasound. I asked the nurse what something on the screen was. She said "That is a blood clot, but this right here is your baby's heartbeat". There is was. A sac with a tiny fetal pole with a heartbeat. 122 bpm. I cried because I was so relieved and shocked. There is still the case of the blood clot so we aren't out of the clear yet. I am going back next week for another ultrasound to make sure the baby is growing.

Re: HCG doubling but no gestational sac ***UPDATE****

• According to my lmp I should be 6w 6 d but I don't think that it correct. I think I ovulated a week later. I am so nervous. I just want to know either way.
  • I'm in a similar boat with ^pp^. They found a gestational sac but nothing inside. I go back January 6th for a repeat ultrasound. My HCG Levels were 10,917 too, but I think I ovulated late too based on charting.
    TTC#1 11.1.2010 |  BFP 1.4.2011 | Benton Henry born 9.13.2011

TTC #2 11.1.2013 | BFP 12.17.13 | Due Date 8.22.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I sure hope they find something! Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • I wouldn't give up hope yet. When they did the u/s you were right on the border of when they should see a sac. Now that you are well over that threshold you are more likely to see something. Fingers crossed for a great u/s on Monday.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I would go in Monday but not let them give you a shot to terminate. For one, it could be to early see anything and if your body is going to reject the pregnancy it will happen naturally. Thoughts & prayers for you.
  • I agree with PPs. I had lots of really bad cramping during the earliest weeks of my first pregnancy. I had several ultrasounds, and high HCG, but they couldn't find anything on ultrasound until I was almost at six weeks.

Thoughts and prayers for good news!
  • Thank you everyone for your help. I went to a new doctor today, They did find the baby and it had a heartbeat of 122 bpm! I am so glad I didn't let them terminate the pregnancy Monday.
  • edited January 2014
    Congratulations! So happy to hear the good news - I'd been thinking about you! Will continue to pray for you for more good news at the next ultrasound!
  • What a relief!! Congratulations!
    Me (31) - PCOS with insulin resistance

4 rounds of Clomid = no response
    IVF # 1 - ET (1 3AA, 4 frosties): 12/22 = BFP
    EDD: 9/9/2014

• I'm really happy you got a second opinion! Congrats and GL <3

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"