3rd Trimester

How to write a birth plan?

Hi ladies!

I'm at FTM and I have no idea what exactly a birth plan consists of. I know in general what the idea of it is but for any of you who have written one for this pregnancy or another, can you please share with me some ideas of what your birth plan states or requested? Also who did you give it to? Your dr, nurses during labor, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Lilypie - (MlIp)

Re: How to write a birth plan?

• Google "birth plan" and you will find sites that give you all the info needed.  I used EarthMamaAngelBaby.com

A lot of it was stuff that I didn't really have a specific wish for so I took out of it what I wanted and typed up a 'plan' from there.  

I believe there is a birth plan layout here on the bump somewhere, as well.  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • You can google it and find a bunch of templates, this website might even have one.

With that said, honestly, IMO they are kind of a joke.  You have no idea what is going to happen during your delivery and after 16 hours in labor your plan could easily go out the window.  It's nice to have an idea of what you want, but you never know what will end up happening.  

I just listened to the nurse and Dr. and that was my plan the first time around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Start with a template.  Learn more about the topics that you see mentioned but don't yet have much info about.  Review it with your ob and the staff at the hospital. 

Keep it as brief as you can. Easy items to take off are things that are standard practice at your hospital, so definitely bring it with you on the hospital tour and ask for their input.
    Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just wanted to chime in and say that you should check out your hospital's and ob's policies also. I had fully intended on writing a birth plan but after finding out that everything I would have put in it is already hospital policy and my ob approves of, I haven't. There is no need for me to have one.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • My birth plan with my oldest was much more detailed than it was with my 2nd, 3rd and will be with my 4th.  But just include what you want or don't want.  Like for me I learned that I don't want to be touched while I'm laboring.  With my 1st my l&d nurse kept rubbing my shoulders and back, I know she thought she was doing a great thing but it annoyed me so I was sure to bold font it with my other birth plans that I did not want to be touched and only wanted to have someone talk to me when it was absolutely necessary.  I put in that I would ask if I needed anything.  It made my labors much more enjoyable.  I have a group of midwives who are with me my entire labor and they encourage pushing in various positions, don't artificially rupture membranes etc so putting that in my birth plan is kind of redundant. 

Much of my plan also involves the after care of baby.  Things like not bathing, not doing eye ointment, not putting baby in disposable diapers etc are the things I put in the birth plan.

• Luckily my midwife gives out a birth plan but you can google and there are TONS of templates out there. Make sure that although you have everything down on paper that you want or would like to happen that the plan is more of a guide than anything else and there are things on there that may not happen due to what is going on and even you. I know with two of my birth plans for example I had written down that I wanted an epidural as soon as I could possibly get it, but then the time came where I could get it and I said "Naw, I can do this a bit longer". Just be prepared to venture from your birth plan and try not to be upset if it has to happen. What really matters is that your baby ends up delivered safe and healthy, no matter how s/he may get here!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Thank you for all your help, examples, and advice!! I definitely don't expect my birth plan to go as "planned" or exactly the way I would like I completely understand things may need to be altered and that won't upset me. I just would like my preferences aware to the ppl that will be surrounding me because I don't think anyone wants to have to communicate all this when in pain and discomfort! Lol thanks again ladies :)

Lilypie - (MlIp)

• As pp said check what is standard, it's best to make it brief and to the point.  So try not to use up space writing things that won't be an issue in the first place.  Using bullets and keeping it under a page is ideal.  

I would show it to your doctor at one of your visits, run it by them.  I think this helps because you get a sense of which requests will be well received and what may be more of a challenge/unusual.  With my second they changed the monitoring procedure and the only way I found out was because I brought in my birth plan ahead of time.  This was helpful information for me because I was able to talk it over with my MW at a time that was low-stress and I was thinking clearly.  Then I was able to find out the protocol for declining their knew standard.  So I would leave one with the doctor to put in your chart after you have discussed it with them.  Then make maybe two more copies one for when you go to the hospital and one for your birth partner.  I think it's good to discuss a detailed plan with your birth partner as well, they might be better able to speak for you when in the hospital or if you and baby are separated.  With DS he had breathing problems and was taken almost immediately to the Special Care Nursery.  DH went with and was able to make it clear to them that we wanted no bottles, paci or first bath.     

• If you as having a natural birth there is more to write in your birth plan then if you plan on getting the epidural. What positions you want to try and deliver on (doesn't have to be on your back if no epidural) if you want to tear or have an episiotomy, if you want to use a birthing ball, shower tub, walking all that stuff. How long you want skin to skin before the doctors weigh the baby. My hospital is what the call "baby friendly" and it means they are open to what the mom wants for herself and her baby. Most hospital just want you in and out. For example I have requested and hour of skin to skin right when the baby is born and to delay everything. They can check te heartbeat and lungs while the baby is on you. That first hour is most important to establish breast feeding. I have also said that the baby is weighed on their stomach, that is how you get the true weight of your baby. If you have taken prenatal or are takin classes they should tell you what's best. Also go on the Internet and look up birth plans written by doulas. That's might help. And one piece of advice bring a small bottle of olive oil and put it on the baby's bum before the first diaper goes on. It helps with there first poop which can be very sticky and tacky
  • I strongly disagree there's no point in a birth plan.  Sure, you don't know how things will go.  But that's not the point of writing one.  It's to EDUCATE yourself on the different things that may happen so that when you are faced with choices in labor, you make an educated decision based on research and forethought - not one based on emotion or panic.
  • I found a template through the tools section on the bump website.

Melissa

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ncbelle said:

I strongly disagree there's no point in a birth plan.  Sure, you don't know how things will go.  But that's not the point of writing one.  It's to EDUCATE yourself on the different things that may happen so that when you are faced with choices in labor, you make an educated decision based on research and forethought - not one based on emotion or panic.

You may think there's no point to having a birth plan but to some people it helps them stay calm but writing what the want down. And do you really think your going to remember everything you want when you in labour and in the moment?!? I highly doubt it. Doctors may do something that you didn't want but because you were in the moment you forgot. A birth plan isn't only for you it's for your husband or partner to also know what you want and what you both want. And it will be easier for them to get your point across then you.

And you can educate yourself all you want but half the things you learn from your prenatal class of books you've read go out of your mind when your in labour land.

To each is own and do what's right for you and your family and why keeps you focused as calm. There is no point in putting negative thought in her mind when birth should be a positive experience

• gobbo1985 said:
    I strongly disagree there's no point in a birth plan.  Sure, you don't know how things will go.  But that's not the point of writing one.  It's to EDUCATE yourself on the different things that may happen so that when you are faced with choices in labor, you make an educated decision based on research and forethought - not one based on emotion or panic.
    You may think there's no point to having a birth plan but to some people it helps them stay calm but writing what the want down. And do you really think your going to remember everything you want when you in labour and in the moment?!? I highly doubt it. Doctors may do something that you didn't want but because you were in the moment you forgot. A birth plan isn't only for you it's for your husband or partner to also know what you want and what you both want. And it will be easier for them to get your point across then you. And you can educate yourself all you want but half the things you learn from your prenatal class of books you've read go out of your mind when your in labour land. To each is own and do what's right for you and your family and why keeps you focused as calm. There is no point in putting negative thought in her mind when birth should be a positive experience
    Um...I think you misread me?  I was saying she should absolutely do a birth plan.  My post was intended to rebut those who were posting that there was no point in a birth plan.  Clearly I think there is one!
  • thank you all again, all the advice is very helpful! :)

Lilypie - (MlIp)

• Sorry about that I did read it wrong. And in regards to the weighing the baby it was something my midwife said to do, something do with te way te baby is position when they are on their tummy that gets a more accurate weight.
  • I am also using the one on TB, but wow there are a lot of options! I'm a bit overwhelmed now I've seen it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"