Baby Showers

Etiquette for hostess gift(s)

My wonderful friend is throwing me a shower in a couple of weeks for me and 10 guests. I have lived in the US for about only 3 years, so am not too used to the baby shower etiquette as we do not have them where I come from.
I obviously want to get her a gift, but was not sure what is considered appropriate.
I also just found out that two other friends who are invited are now co hosting the shower. I believe that the shower is at the original friends home (but will not find out until the day) so now I have no idea what to get for who, and if the gifts for all three should be equal?
Any advice welcome!

Re: Etiquette for hostess gift(s)

• In the case of 3 hostesses, I'd consider treating them all to a nice Sunday brunch where the 4 of you can hang out and have some time together.

• Treating them to a ladies brunch or lunch would be great.  If you're looking for something tangible to actually give, personalized gifts are always great as a hostess gift- like a monogrammed makeup bag, engraved trinket box, or a picture frame with a sentimental quote and a picture of the two/three/four of you.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • dufferoodufferoo member
    edited January 2014
    Just so you know, hostess gifts aren't necessarily expected or required, though they can be nice. A heartfelt thank you note is always sufficient. If you want to give a gift, you can just shop for it like a birthday gift: a pretty scarf, some really nice coffee, a book or CD, etc. Personally, I wouldn't go overboard with anything too expensive; just a token to show your appreciation. I've heard of people giving spa days and such as hostess gifts and it seems to me your hostesses would then feel indebted back to you, and you certainly don't want to start a thank you war! And as long as you are giving the gifts privately, I wouldn't worry about getting the hostesses the same thing or even spending the same amount. But if you do want to give gifts to the 3 hostesses all together (like, say, as you walk in, or after the shower is over), I would make sure they are at least similar in magnitude.
  • I'd get em gift cards for pedicures. I'm gonna get some champagne to bring with me to my shower as a "thank you" gesture for my hostesses and guests. I think there are several people throwing my shower so my hostess thank you will be one big thing.
  • Thank you for all of the replies! Very helpful! I was starting to worry about the cost of three gifts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"