September 2013 Moms

Moms of 9/11 babies- getting birthday comments?

LO was born on 9/11, and people are constantly making comments about it. When I mention her birth date, I get a lot of "Oh, that stinks," "What a shame she was born that day," or "Does it bother you people will always associate her birthday with something bad?" No, it doesn't bother me that she was born on 9/11. I don't care what day my daughter was born; she is healthy and happy.  Come on people.

Any other moms of September 11th babies get this? How do you respond?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms of 9/11 babies- getting birthday comments?

• I was induced on 9/11 but ended up having DD on the 12th. So many people commented about my induction date and how awful it was that she was going to be born on that day. It was a tragic event but I don't see how it would have made DD's birthday different or less of a birthday somehow. I'm sorry people are being like that, it's pretty dumb.

When people would make comments to me about my induction date I would just tell them that it would still be her birthday and it was nothing to feel sorry about, her birth is going to be special regardless of what day it falls on.

It's hard because that isn't a tragedy that has a "name" like the Bay of Pigs or JFK assassination, people only use the date when referencing it. I still think it's stupid to make comments like that regarding a birthday though, they are unrelated and it doesn't affect it.
  • We get comments all the time too. We also get comments about LO being half Indian and his 9/11 birthdate. I try to not let it bother me, but it does hurt when people make ignorant comments. I view it as his birth was special to us regardless of what others may think or associate with the day.
    TTC #1 Since Oct 2011
    BFP #1 4/29/12 m/c 5/18/12 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/28/12 EDD 5/10/13 MC 9/22/12 at 6w4d
    BFP #3 12/31/12 EDD 9/12/13

Me Dx: DOR   DH: all tests normal
    Our Pretty Little Nest Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • My birthday is the 11th and I have been hearing these comments since I turned 14 in 2001. It's way dumb. My LO happened to be born on 9/11 as well... Now we have double the reason to celebrate. Don't let their dumb comments bug you. In one ear and out the other.
  • AbbyMMM said:

LO was born 9/11. I remember being afraid he would have this birthday when I first found out about my 9/10 due date. I totally forgot about it during labor, and when I realized what his birthday would be after all of the excitement died down, I was sad for him. Since I didn't want people to say something awful to me about it, I tried to preempt for the first week or so by saying "he was born 9/11 - poor guy." When he was about 2 weeks old, a woman responded to me "oh no - I think that's healing for all of us." It made me cry at the time and I still tear up a little now thinking of it. Now I'm proud of LO's birthday, and I really look forward to explaining how wonderful and terrible things can happen on the same day, and he's the most wonderful thing about September 11th.

Wow. What a wonderful woman who said that to you! That made me tear up just reading it.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Great response from that woman!

My LOs DD was the 9th, born on the 10th. I've had people say, "thank goodness she wasn't born a day later". I agree with you that those comments are unwelcome. However, I didn't really care as long as she was born healthy.

My cousin was married on 9/11 two years ago, I think the healthy thing for us is to not let our lives be defined by events beyond our control. Like that woman noted, we need reasons to start celebrating that day!
  • Loveniz said:

We get comments all the time too. We also get comments about LO being half Indian and his 9/11 birthdate. I try to not let it bother me, but it does hurt when people make ignorant comments. I view it as his birth was special to us regardless of what others may think or associate with the day.

Wow. That's really horrible of people to say. I'm sorry.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• DD was born 9/11, and we took her home on Friday the 13th. People always ask if that bothers me... I tell them not at all! It's beautiful to have a happy association with a sad date. And regarding Friday the 13th, I tell people she's our lucky charm!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"