October 2013 Moms

two boobs or one?

I was just browsing the breastfeeding thread and I got to thinking...

When breastfeeding, do you nurse on only one side for an entire feeding? Or do you give one, burp, then coffee the other?

I give one, burp, and then offer the other. On average I nurse him 15 minutes on each side or until he starts pulling off. Maybe I should just let him nurse on one boob for the entire duration if the feeding? And now that I think about it, maybe that's part of the reason he's so gassy...because he gets too much foremilk.

Just thinking out loud I guess but I'm curious as to what all of you breastfeeders are doing.

<3 Brantley Richard - Born October 28, 2013 <3

<3 Baby #2 due to arrive May 18, 2015 <3

Re: two boobs or one?

• I usually feed from just one side burp and if he still seems hungry I'll offer the other as dessert. Usually 15-20 minutes on one side.
  • Loading the player...
  • kelli&davekelli&dave member
    edited January 2014
    I don't know for sure. I used to always switch to the second boob after burping. But a few weeks ago, i started making it a point to "empty" the first before offering the second and it has seemed to help. He is still gassy, but not uncomfortably so. Much less fussy and not nearly as much spitting up. Take my advice with a grain of salt though, im still figuring it out as well :0)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• The breastfeeding thread has talked about this quite a bit, so I'd check there, too.

I have been told to stick to one side (through burps and all) and then offer the other as dessert, to ensure LO gets the hind milk. The switching every 15 minutes "rule" is outdated info, from what I understand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Do those of you who switch time the feedings? Once my LO pulls off he is usually done eating and won't take the boob again.

I nurse one side until he pulls off, then burp. 10-30 minutes usually. Our last session before bed I will then give him the other boob, he'll go for another 20 minutes, when he's done I burp again and put him down.

• edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One sider here!
  • One side. If I switch, she usually ends up with green poo.
  • One side and he empties me fast! Super fast eater 5-7 minutes.
  • I offer one side a feeding until he pulls off. After burping, if he starts acting hungry again, that's when I offer the other.
    Anniversary 

• elllaf said:

I'm a one sider 99% off the time

This. No timing.
  • In the MOTN and the morning we usually only do 1 side at a time because I'm usually pretty engorged. During the day though, she usually takes both sides. I don't time, it's just whenever she pulls off /falls asleep.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I feed off one side to ensure she gets the hind milk.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• The LC told me to only offer the 2nd after the first one is empty (LO gets frustrated or no swallowing) , otherwise they get too much foremilk. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • jgslr said:

Two sider 99.9 percent of the time, usually 15/20 min per side. She either gets frustrated the flow has stopped or drifts off and I unlatch and offer side 2. If it were up to her, she'd never unlatch.

She's started this squeal thing when I unlatch her to offer side 2, it's so funny. I have low supply so I sometimes have to offer an oz or two after as well. Poor thing will suck and suck trying to get full and I have no more milk.

Pretty much all of this. He is rarely satisfied with just one side and will start to pull off and fuss until I switch sides and then he's happy again.

Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

• 95% of the time I'm a one-sider.  Unless LO pulls off, burps, and won't relatch on that side.  Then I will offer the other; but it is rare.
    photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
    Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
  • My LO eats both sides. I switch which one I start with each time though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both. I just don't make enough for him to only have one side, unfortunately. It's not as frustrating, for him, as it was...but we still have our bad days. He never gives up on me, though!
  • edited January 2014
    MosyMama said:
    I stick to one side per feeding. I put him back on the same side after burping and only offer the second if he is still hungry and gets frustrated from the slower milk flow on the "emptied" side. Then I put him on the other side for the next feeding.
    This, exactly.

ETA: I also let him decide when he's done, and don't unlatch unless it really starts to hurt--he gets chompy when the flow slows down. I'm dreading teeth.
    Anniversary
    February Signature Challenge: Valentine's Day GIFs

image     image     image
  • One side here. He'll go back to the same side after burping.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • One side, and he usually eats for 10-15 mins
  • We do one side. LO is a quick eater & will stop after 5-10 min, so there's only time for one side! Sometimes we block feed & do 2 times in a row on the same side to make sure she gets hindmilk, but we stopped when I went back to work.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • IBoth sides every feeding here. He also gets a 3oz bottle in the evenings. Milk never came in with dd, this time i just barely keep up.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • When I saw your title I desperately wanted to respond with "two boobs. I have two boobs." I have been resisting for a few hours and my willpower is gone.

But as far as feeding, one side per feeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @beckybeth123- ha. I laughed reading your post, touché!

<3 Brantley Richard - Born October 28, 2013 <3

<3 Baby #2 due to arrive May 18, 2015 <3

• sweettooth87sweettooth87 member
    edited January 2014
    One side...unless were in a growth spurt out he's super ravenous. He usually empties it in about 5 minutes.

ETA: he's also not a comfort nurser at all. He rarely stays latched if he's not actually eating.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DSC_0552-2  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My LO has just started only wanting to nurse on one side per feeding and I am soooooo lopsided!! Does this even out over time or do all you ladies walk around with one big full boob and one empty OR is my body just effed up?!

My baby nurses a lot so I usually don't end up super lopsided for very long. Except the first morning feed. Then I pump the other side.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"