TTC After a Loss

Questions about SHG

Good afternoon, lovely TTCAL ladies.  I have an SHG scheduled for Tuesday, and then it looks like next cycle will be our first Clomid cycle.  I was just wondering if some people who have had an SHG and/or HSG can weigh in on the difference between the two.  As I understand it, with the SHG you have saline injected into your uterus and they look at it with a US, and with an HSG you have dye injected and viewed with an x-ray.  Does that sound right?  Will they be able to see if my tubes are clear with the SHG?  She mentioned wanting to make sure they were clear before giving me Clomid, but then I've heard conflicting information about whether an SHG will show that.

I'm also wondering if you had one if you were given any restrictions on sex afterwards...I know one person told me she was, but she wasn't given antibiotics...I was given antibiotics, so maybe that means no restrictions because infection isn't a concern?  I want to make sure I don't miss my FW, which will start pretty much right after the test.

I'm planning to call my doctor as well, but I'd appreciate any and all input anyone wants to share.  If you've made it this far...

My Ovulation Chart
TTC since March 2012 
BFP #1 1/29/13, EDD 10/9/13 
MMC discovered at 10 weeks (baby measured 9 weeks) D&C on 3/16/13 
BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
BFP #3  8/11/14  EDD 4/22/14

Re: Questions about SHG

• From what my doctors have told me, the only way to see the tubes is the HSG. You are correct in their differences. 

I was not given sex restrictions nor antibioitics, but I had cramping for the rest of the day and I was sore the day after so I wasn't interested in having sex anyway. The test should be scheduled around CD7-10. They say it needs to be done after AF is gone completely and before you O, so you should be ok to be having sex by the time your FW comes along. 

Take advil beforehand and bring your own pad for after the procedure. Good luck!
      Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image 
  • uneek1323 said:
    From what my doctors have told me, the only way to see the tubes is the HSG. You are correct in their differences. 

I was not given sex restrictions nor antibioitics, but I had cramping for the rest of the day and I was sore the day after so I wasn't interested in having sex anyway. The test should be scheduled around CD7-10. They say it needs to be done after AF is gone completely and before you O, so you should be ok to be having sex by the time your FW comes along. 

Take advil beforehand and bring your own pad for after the procedure. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info!  My issue is that I O early (this past cycle was CD 8, although the norm for me is CD 11) giving me a very small window to get the test done.  I currently have it scheduled for CD 6, and I consider my normal FW to start on CD 8...and maybe even CD 7 after last month...

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, you have it correct. I had an hsg a while ago, that is what is used to check your tubes. I had an shg recently because they thought there was a polyp from an ultrasound... The shg confirmed it. We were not restricted after the hsg, not sure after the shg because I was scheduled for surgery like the next day or so, so it didn't really matter.

I don't think the shg confirms clear tubes, which means you should have that done before clomid. But I could be wrong.

Good luck with both tests. For me, neither were too bad. The hsg was a bit more campy, but I didn't have any blockages.

TTC since March 2012
    DX: MFI (4% motility)

Cycle 13: Natural cycle w/ HSG test = BFP
    Identical twins! 
    Lost my angel boys at 10.5 weeks

Cycle 14-16: Natural Cycles = BFN
    Cycle 17: Follistim + Trigger + IUI = BFN
    Cycle 18: Natural Cycle = BFN
    Cycle 19: Follistim + Trigger +IUI#2
    Polyp found: SIS 11/11 - hysteroscopy 11/14
    Cycle 20: Follistim + IUI#2 = BFFN
    Cycle 21: Follistim (adj. dosage) + IUI#3 TI  = BFN
    IUI cancelled due to weather
    Cycle 22: Follistim + IUI#3.1 = BFN

Cycle 23: treatment break, IVF consult
    Cycle 24 - 26: natural cycle w/ acupuncture + Chinese herbs = BFN
    Cycle 27: Follistim + IUI#4 = BFFN
    Natural Cycles until IVF
    Cycle 30: IVF#1 - Starting with Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix
    17 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 5dt w/ 2 blasts, 5 frosties

Betas:  #1-156(9dp5dt), #2-1200(13dp5) #3-6112(17dp5)
    Ultrasound #1 10/6: 1 bean!
    TEAM BLUE!

My Chart
    ~~ALL WELCOME~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • One more thing I want to add: the HSG was the most pain I have ever experienced. I almost passed out on the table. I had no blockages and they offered me no numbing agents. They're not sure why it was so painful for me with clear tubes. I hope your experience is like most women and that it's just a little uncomfortable but I also don't want you to be caught off guard. I wish someone had told me. 
  • uneek1323 said:
    One more thing I want to add: the HSG was the most pain I have ever experienced. I almost passed out on the table. I had no blockages and they offered me no numbing agents. They're not sure why it was so painful for me with clear tubes. I hope your experience is like most women and that it's just a little uncomfortable but I also don't want you to be caught off guard. I wish someone had told me. 
    Thanks, I will hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  And request a numbing agent!

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • ky29 said:
    Yes, you have it correct. I had an hsg a while ago, that is what is used to check your tubes. I had an shg recently because they thought there was a polyp from an ultrasound... The shg confirmed it. We were not restricted after the hsg, not sure after the shg because I was scheduled for surgery like the next day or so, so it didn't really matter. I don't think the shg confirms clear tubes, which means you should have that done before clomid. But I could be wrong. Good luck with both tests. For me, neither were too bad. The hsg was a bit more campy, but I didn't have any blockages.
    Thanks for sharing!  

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • I had a SHG and was prescribed antibiotics, but was given no restrictions on sex. I would take advil an hour before and bring your own pad (unless you don't mind the giganto one they'll give you). I had spotting and was leaking fluid for a day afterward. For me, the cramps were gone by the next morning. My RE did a "bubble test" to check if my tubes were clear. I know doctors have differing opinions on this, but my doctor said it was adequate. It's not as thorough as doing as an HSG though.

I've heard that some doctors will do both procedures one after the other and others will schedule them on different days.
    Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 
    BFP #1: EDD 4/16/13~~blighted ovum w/ 2 gestational sacs~~Loss on 9/18/12
    BFP #2: EDD 9/3/13~~Slow HB at 1st U/S~~MMC -Loss on 2/13/13
    9/13, 10/13, 1/14: letrozole + trigger + TI = All BFNs
    3/14: IUI#1 letrozole/Bravelle/Menopur + trigger = BFN
    BFP #3: EDD 1/27/15 Please be our rainbow! ...Team Green

• I had a SHG and was prescribed antibiotics, but was given no restrictions on sex. I would take advil an hour before and bring your own pad (unless you don't mind the giganto one they'll give you). I had spotting and was leaking fluid for a day afterward. For me, the cramps were gone by the next morning. My RE did a "bubble test" to check if my tubes were clear. I know doctors have differing opinions on this, but my doctor said it was adequate. It's not as thorough as doing as an HSG though.

I've heard that some doctors will do both procedures one after the other and others will schedule them on different days.
    Got it, that clears up some of my confusion.  Thank you!

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14

My experience was just like @luciddreamer106 -- a SHG with "bubble test". I'd echo all her comments above, except to say that I wasn't given antibiotics. My doctor seemed confident my tubes were clear based on this procedure.
  • Excuse my jumping in here - but is it true that your period has to be completely done by the time you get the HSG?  I have mine scheduled for Monday and am currently on CD3 (with super heavy bleeding since coming off provera).  A little worried that I'll still be spotting.

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• Drgn30 said:
    Excuse my jumping in here - but is it true that your period has to be completely done by the time you get the HSG?  I have mine scheduled for Monday and am currently on CD3 (with super heavy bleeding since coming off provera).  A little worried that I'll still be spotting.
    Yes. I had to change my appointment because I was still spotting. My doctor said you have to be 100% clear of your period.
  • thanks @uneek1323 - good to know

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• I was pretty sure the HSG was still the gold standard for checking your tubes. I've heard of the bubble test, but I thought most REs still preferred to order an HSG. Are you seeing an OBGYN or an RE? I've noticed that OBGYNs seem to be more likely to just order the SIS before they put you on Clomid vs. the RE who often does both tests.

I honestly would call and ask, b/c ordinarily the SIS is for polyps, check scarring etc. I'd rather know that structurally everything was Ok before I took medication. So I was glad I had both tests.

I did not take antibiotics for either procedure. I only had a sex restriction b/c I had two tests in the same cycle and they only did one pregnancy test on the day I got the first test. My tests could be done between days 5-11. The SIS was more painful than the HSG for me, but it was very quick. 

I thought this was helpful. Also interesting on methods to delay ovulation so they can get the test in.

"It's, not, where you are, it's where you're going,
    And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now"

TTC Journey Began 8/12
    BFP #1 11/9/12, MMC/D&C 12/21/12 @ 9w2d, EDD 7/24/13
    SAs: 2%-3% Morph - RE Official Diagnosis
    Unexplained
     BFN = IUI #1 (Clomid) | IUI #2 (Letrozole) 
    BFP #2 4/19/14 = IUI #3 (Letrozole)
    Expecting Our Elf 12/27/14
    ~All Welcome~

• uneek1323 said:
    Drgn30 said:
    Excuse my jumping in here - but is it true that your period has to be completely done by the time you get the HSG?  I have mine scheduled for Monday and am currently on CD3 (with super heavy bleeding since coming off provera).  A little worried that I'll still be spotting.
    Yes. I had to change my appointment because I was still spotting. My doctor said you have to be 100% clear of your period.
    @Drgn30 It might be worth running it by your doctor before rescheduling, because I asked about that and they said spotting was okay but definitely no "flow".

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • jalara48 said:
    uneek1323 said:
    Drgn30 said:
    Agreed.

OP - I've had both and yes, they are exactly as you described. The HSG will allow them to be certain about your tubes, however they get an impression of a blockage at the SHG depending on if the saline drains out or not. Again - not definitive, just an indication to do a HSG.

Pain: my SHG made me actually scream out in pain. It was horrific. But, for some reason, my HSG was absolutely easy with no issues.

Also, I did not have sexual restrictions or antibiotics for either procedure.
    Thanks, this makes sense.  

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • jenkellen said:
    I was pretty sure the HSG was still the gold standard for checking your tubes. I've heard of the bubble test, but I thought most REs still preferred to order an HSG. Are you seeing an OBGYN or an RE? I've noticed that OBGYNs seem to be more likely to just order the SIS before they put you on Clomid vs. the RE who often does both tests.

I honestly would call and ask, b/c ordinarily the SIS is for polyps, check scarring etc. I'd rather know that structurally everything was Ok before I took medication. So I was glad I had both tests.

I did not take antibiotics for either procedure. I only had a sex restriction b/c I had two tests in the same cycle and they only did one pregnancy test on the day I got the first test. My tests could be done between days 5-11. The SIS was more painful than the HSG for me, but it was very quick. 

I thought this was helpful. Also interesting on methods to delay ovulation so they can get the test in.
    I'm seeing an RE.  The impression I got from the nurse I talked to is that she usually does an HSG first.

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
  • Only had the shg here. I was ok during the exam, but 3-4hrs later I was in excruciating pain. I was in tears, in the fetal position & took old painkillers to knock me out, so don't be alarmed if this also happens.

No advice for the hsg.

As far as I know, other PP's are correct & hsg is gold standard for tube check.

Fwiw you can see my tubes on the 3d us with the shg, but there'd be no way to know if they were blocked internally.

MsAmandaPants also had the bubble test done to check her tubes on the shg , but I think there was a reason why doing that instead of the hsg for her.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• kalynn12kalynn12 member
    edited January 2014
    I had a SHG and was prescribed antibiotics, but was given no restrictions on sex. I would take advil an hour before and bring your own pad (unless you don't mind the giganto one they'll give you). I had spotting and was leaking fluid for a day afterward. For me, the cramps were gone by the next morning. My RE did a "bubble test" to check if my tubes were clear. I know doctors have differing opinions on this, but my doctor said it was adequate. It's not as thorough as doing as an HSG though.

Mine was the same, I took Advil before the procedure and the antibiotics. Even with the numbing I almost jumped off the table when the did the bubble test. The rest of the procedure was pretty painless. I had cramps for a couple of hours after but nothing I couldn't work through. I was not given any restrictions afterwards.
    I'm 31 and DH is 36

Started dating in 2008 and married November 10, 2012

TTC#1 Since Oct 2012

MC#1 5/30/2013 ~ EDD 1/4/2014 natural @ 9 weeks

MC#2 8/12/2013 ~ EDD 4/13/2014 natural @ 5 weeks 5 days

BFP #3 EDD 12/9/2014

*~*~*Everybody is Welcome*~*~*

My Ovulation Chart

BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I am having an SHG once AF shows and leaves so I am interested in all of these responses. My RE said that the hsg will let him see both structural issues and to confirm that my tubes are open for business (or travel or whatever). I wonder if he will do the bubble test some of you have referenced.

Question...why did it hurt? Was it the fluid being pushed in or the irritation of your cervix or some other thing?

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• E&B0811 said:
    I am having an SHG once AF shows and leaves so I am interested in all of these responses. My RE said that the hsg will let him see both structural issues and to confirm that my tubes are open for business (or travel or whatever). I wonder if he will do the bubble test some of you have referenced. Question...why did it hurt? Was it the fluid being pushed in or the irritation of your cervix or some other thing?

@E&B0811 for me the pain was when they pushed the fluid. I was surprised it was so sensitive to it.
    I'm 31 and DH is 36

Started dating in 2008 and married November 10, 2012

TTC#1 Since Oct 2012

MC#1 5/30/2013 ~ EDD 1/4/2014 natural @ 9 weeks

MC#2 8/12/2013 ~ EDD 4/13/2014 natural @ 5 weeks 5 days

BFP #3 EDD 12/9/2014

*~*~*Everybody is Welcome*~*~*

My Ovulation Chart

BabyFruit Ticker}
  • E&B0811 said:
    I am having an SHG once AF shows and leaves so I am interested in all of these responses. My RE said that the hsg will let him see both structural issues and to confirm that my tubes are open for business (or travel or whatever). I wonder if he will do the bubble test some of you have referenced. Question...why did it hurt? Was it the fluid being pushed in or the irritation of your cervix or some other thing?
    It was a little painful when the RE put the catheter through my cervix, but it was tolerable. It hurt more when the saline was being injected and caused some cramps from the pressure. I used a heating pad when I got home and it really helped.
    Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 
    BFP #1: EDD 4/16/13~~blighted ovum w/ 2 gestational sacs~~Loss on 9/18/12
    BFP #2: EDD 9/3/13~~Slow HB at 1st U/S~~MMC -Loss on 2/13/13
    9/13, 10/13, 1/14: letrozole + trigger + TI = All BFNs
    3/14: IUI#1 letrozole/Bravelle/Menopur + trigger = BFN
    BFP #3: EDD 1/27/15 Please be our rainbow! ...Team Green

• E&B0811 said:
    It was the catheter. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"